1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Secondary Air Injection system on the 4.7 liter 2013 Tundra

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by j.rando1573, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Feb 5, 2020 at 8:15 PM
    j.rando1573

j.rando1573 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tundra 4.7 ltr V8
    So I finally bought the truck I've been wanting for so long. Now after a month and a half I'm missing my old Titan! Ready to blow this thing up! Anyways this is what I've been thru in the past few weeks. When I purchased the truck a month and a half ago it was in perfect running condition.Then after about 2 weeks my Check Engine light and my Trac Off light came on Now while driving the interstate lost most power because it's now running in this LIMP MODE at the time I automatically brought it to my local Toyota of New Orleans dealership. Getting the code P2442 (secondary air injection valve bank 2 stuck open) and they said it would cost $2,700 to fix and that was mostly for the parts. So for obvious reasons I didn't feel responsible to pay for these repairs because I had just purchased it and I had found out the truck was brought to a Toyota of Baton Rouge a few months before and diagnosed the problem so they must have known about this issue, but anyways back to the problem I was persistent to fix this problem I wanted to understand how this system works and exactly what it does. So after a bunch of research getting incorrect information because there's a lot of help on this issue but the thing no one tells you & after physically working on the engine is that on the 4.7 liters the Air Injection Switching system have a completly different set up than the 5.7 liters. So in short my 4.7 was a lot easier to get to than expected. So I removed bank valve 1 & 2 noticing bank 2 was clean and fine, and bank 2 was clogged up with gunk like expected so I replaced the bank 2 valve with a new replacement part after installation and resetting the comp. the check engine lights came right back on and my truck was still in this LIMP MODE. So I went to a local auto zone to see what codes it was showing, only to find out now it's saying both bank 1& 2 are stuck open and both switching valve circuits are throwing a code so trouble shooted a few obvious options checked the valves and wiring with no luck everything seems to be in tack and working fine but I'm still getting these codes I'm about to pull my hair out now I'm looking into buying a driver module and another new switching valve for bank 1 but I hate to spend more money and still have this problem persist after. I'm all out of options I'm beginning to think it's something with the original valve sensor reading different to the computer so it's not recognizing it, ugh. I don't know what to do, the pumps are working fine plus I'm sure it would show a pump failure if they were so if anyone has any opinions on this topic that could help me fix this problem that I'm sure it's something in the OS please leave me a reply. Thanks

2. Feb 7, 2020 at 3:24 AM
    rons23

rons23 Get The Led Out!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    That's some BS right there. I would be up there wanting answers from sales and service manager, of course keep your cool. I went through the AIP'S fiasco @ 66k miles on my 08, luckily it was done under warranty. Here's some info on a bypass kit for the 2nd gen. There are more bypass kits out there so you got choices. This company responded very quick to my questions.

https://hewitt-tech.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=82
    https://hewitt-tech.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=44

https://hewitt-tech.com/store/
    Hope this helps and good luck:thumbsup:

3. Feb 7, 2020 at 5:08 AM
    zombie

zombie Master at Something

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black DC 4x4
    I have the 2441 right now myself. So confusion on my part....I though 2012 was the last year of the 4.7, and the air injection only went from 05-08. Despite the confusion, this is what I'm going to do. Free for me, but maybe $15 in parts. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By7JoJzynrbSSktEc1hxNHdJcTQ/view Also, by the way, this is considered part of the power train.....not emissions, ODD I know. I would check your warranty first.

Products Discussed in

To Top