1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Secondary Air Injection Pump failure

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by jtx0741, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Jun 4, 2020 at 4:24 PM
    osidepunker

osidepunker OsidePunker

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DC 4x4
    Full LT, full armor, fully self contained Speed Glamper
    Well yes, like I said, modifying the emission system wouldn't be legal in my state if you lived in a county with smog check. If you don't need a smoking check then it's not a big deal.

I wouldn't rely on sdhq. I'd figure out what your state laws are if you're worried about it.

Black Wolf[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Jun 4, 2020 at 4:36 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Alex, I just called SDHQ and brought up the "legal " issue because every state is different. The tech I talked to is going to get a clarification on this and call me back ASAP. I explained that I'm a member on T.com and that we are discussing this issue right now.

3. Jun 4, 2020 at 4:42 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    You are correct. It's good to know your particular states emission regulations because it can be a quagmire. I'm not sweating it here in Colorado but it's good to get a clarification and I'm willing to bet that SDHQ might be changing the description as to the "legality " of this kit depending on which state you live in...heh...heh
    You brought up a very good point by the way...:thumbsup:

Wallygator likes this.
  4. Jun 4, 2020 at 10:54 PM
    kanger328

kanger328 New Member

Member:
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC 4x4
    I got this same issue on my 2012 w/ 4.6L V8. Dealer notes "Air switching valve stuck open bank 2. Air pump and air switching valves do not operate."

Threw P2442 and P2442p codes. Dealer quoted me $2,900 for full repair. From what I'm reading, seems like the Hewitt kit is the best option. Unless I'm missing something...

Leo's first likes this.
  5. Jun 4, 2020 at 10:54 PM
    kanger328

kanger328 New Member

Member:
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC 4x4
    camillethetoy likes this.
  6. Jun 4, 2020 at 11:13 PM
    Wallygator

Wallygator Well Zippedy Da Do!

Member:
    Yeah that kit is very expensive, so much so that I have started specing prices of building my own kit from parts on Amazon. Will post up a list when I get it complete. Why the Tundra AIP system is so much more complicated than my 4Runners was is beyond me? Maybe the V8 requires it and because it's so big they had no room to put it under the hood?

Anyway the 4Runners pump was right on the front passenger side of the engine bay. Just take off the crap foam filter and put on a K&N lawn mower filter and you won't have any issues. The main problem is that after a while the filter breaks down and then gets sucked into the system. Once you eliminate the filter, changing the lawn mower filters on a regular basis is a non issue.

7. Jun 5, 2020 at 12:32 PM
    wutevs

wutevs New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra SR-work package DBL cab 4.6l
    Fuzzy dice.
    Part # 42871

blackdemon_tt[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Jun 5, 2020 at 12:41 PM
    wutevs

wutevs New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra SR-work package DBL cab 4.6l
    Fuzzy dice.
    If you clean the valve, don't make the mistake I made. I cleaned the valve and thought I could spray the inside guts with some silicone spray or electric contact cleaner. I thought, since neither product attracts dirt and both are dielectric, it wouldn't be a problem and I could save $150. I should have just removed the gunk and maybe spray the outside with some lube.

I ended up trading one code for another. The sensors on the inside got messed up. Instead of stuck valve code, I got air flow or air pressure codes. I can't remember the specifics.

So I just replaced the whole thing. Problem solved. But I was so close to fixing it rather than replacing it.

If you do attempt a cleaning, the top two contacts activate the valve to test open/close

9. Jun 5, 2020 at 12:52 PM
    Wallygator

Member:
    @wutevs do you remember the part number for the filter you used on your trumpet delete? I am trying to find the inside diameter measurement of the hoses you put the filters into. Thanks.

Also just realized I was posting in a 2nd gen thread. :cheers:. Is this still an issue with the 3rd gen?? I'm assuming it is since they are the same trucks but just want to clarify Toyota didn't change things before buying parts.

10. Jun 5, 2020 at 1:44 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Acetone is good to use. Evaps fast and leaves no residue. I forgot which years but I read that the Chevy Blazer uses the same AIP's and are like 1/2 the cost that Yota charges. I'll try to find the link.

blackdemon_tt likes this.
  11. Jun 5, 2020 at 3:34 PM
    blackdemon_tt

blackdemon_tt Battery Slayer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 5.7l Tundra DC SR5 long bed 2wd
    TRD Sway Bar, Roll covers USA bed cover
    Thank you

12. Jun 5, 2020 at 4:05 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    UPDATE...got a call back today from Bruce @sdhq_offroad. #1.....I'll repeat the caveat to know your particular state's emission laws. #2.......definition of "modification" in regards to our AIP system. Now that that is out of way.....SDHQ's take is, which I agree with, relocating the intake to the AIP's isn't bypassing nor modifying the "functionality" of the emission "system" like a bypass does. Doesn't hinder it at all. The kit simply relocates where the AIP's get air from. In other words...the system functionality is not tampered with and not compromised at all.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    Wallygator and jc153 like this.
  13. Jun 5, 2020 at 4:53 PM
    jc153

jc153 Speed-ish Glamper

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tundra Ltd CM 4x4
    TC Front Long Travel, ADV Glass Fenders & Bedsides, TC Spindle Gussets & King LT Coilovers, RCV Axles, DuroBumps, CB Steering & Carrier Bearing Drop Kit, SDHQ ABS Sensor Shields, Rear 3.0 ADS Triple Bypasses w/MCM Fab Under Bed Shock Mount Relocation, SUA Deaver I96HD Springs & TC Shackles, MCM Fab Rear Hydro Bumpstop Kit, Solid Offroad Engine Mounts, 17" Method Standards, 37/12.5/17 Toyo RT's, Nitro 488 Gears w/Auburn LSD, Evil Off Road Bumpers, RCI Skid Plates, White Knuckle Sliders, Dirty Deeds Ind. BAMuffler 8" Catback, Baja Designs Lighting, SwitchPros Controller, Custom PS Cooler Relocation Kit, Custom Dual Battery Setup
    That’s true but it is a modification of the emissions system. Here in CA some places are very particular about any modification regardless of whether or not it impacts how the system works.
    It might be worth a try but depending on the tech I wouldn’t be surprised if it failed visual inspection.

14. Jun 5, 2020 at 4:58 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Like I mentioned on my previous post^^^^^. See #1 and #2. o_O
    Edited my post from "First" and "Second " to #1 and #2 to avoid any confusion...

15. Jun 5, 2020 at 5:10 PM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
    It should fail anywhere that has a visual, that’s the rules. Petty but can’t modify any emissions component.
    All of us made our own long ago. Welcome to the club hope you didn’t pay too much lol.

osidepunker and jc153[QUOTED] like this.
  16. Jun 5, 2020 at 5:30 PM
    hammockking

hammockking New Member

Member:
    Scotts Valley, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Platinum 4x4
    Workin' on em
    My old Xterra was pretty heavily modified .. only ever had one smog location not willing to even try to pass me and it's because they were your run of the mill, quick smog spots.

As I've seen and done worse, I can't imagine/foresee not passing smog check because of this.

17. Jun 5, 2020 at 5:52 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Depends on your state. AK is quite lax for example.

18. Jun 5, 2020 at 5:55 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    The bottom line here to keep this thread on focus is that the AIP's can fail and there are options......interesting topic for sure.

Wallygator likes this.
  19. Jun 5, 2020 at 6:48 PM
    hammockking

hammockking New Member

Member:
    Scotts Valley, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Platinum 4x4
    Workin' on em
    Whoops. Meant to point out that I'm in the Bay Area of California.

20. Jun 5, 2020 at 7:32 PM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
    Interesting 3 years ago, not so much now. Lol.

osidepunker likes this.
  21. Jun 5, 2020 at 7:37 PM
    Wallygator

Member:
    Well still don't know if I need to do this on my 3rd gen but here is the parts list I have assembled to run the filters up into the engine bay and get rid of the foam filters. Maybe this will help someone in the future. An since some of you have done this already if some of these parts are not right please post up with corrections.

-Hose - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XXNG35...colid=ES7YLQUJSUOD&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

-2 filters (could prob find a cheaper alternative here) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00029WXS...colid=ES7YLQUJSUOD&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

-90 degree elbow - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GJJSTF...colid=ES7YLQUJSUOD&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

-120 degree elbow - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TNHVH5...colid=ES7YLQUJSUOD&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

-2 line fittings (these are the parts I am not sure on since I don't know the inner diameter of the outlet hoses on the truck) -
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CKXRMQ...colid=ES7YLQUJSUOD&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

-Several hose clamps for 5/8" hose.

camillethetoy and jtwags like this.
  22. Jun 5, 2020 at 7:39 PM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
    I lack focus tonight. Will send you parts list tomorrow if you want.

Wallygator[QUOTED] likes this.
  23. Jun 5, 2020 at 7:45 PM
    Wallygator

Member:
    If you get a chance that would be appreciated. An yeah I get it, with a production run of 13 plus years with basically the same truck all this stuff gets lost from time to time. That's why you get many threads asking the same thing many times throughout the years. Then factor in crap search engines and laziness.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  24. Jun 5, 2020 at 10:14 PM
    hammockking

hammockking New Member

Member:
    Scotts Valley, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Platinum 4x4
    Workin' on em
    Roughly $137 for everything not including taxes (and shipping on some). Couple that with the install instructions on the SDHQ site and I think you may have just helped some folks do this more affordably. When I get my kit in I can confirm/look for missing if that'd help.

Wallygator[QUOTED] likes this.
  25. Jun 6, 2020 at 6:42 PM
    Wallygator

Member:
    That would be great, thanks!

26. Jun 7, 2020 at 10:29 AM
    osidepunker

osidepunker OsidePunker

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DC 4x4
    Thats $137 you could put towards the hewitt kit. Took me an hour to install, zero research, set it and forget it.

I pretty much did forget I installed it but this thread keeps sucking me in haha

27. Jun 10, 2020 at 9:21 AM
    PAPERBACK Rider

PAPERBACK Rider New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TexMess
    HEY, SO is there a good place to buy all the bits and parts for the actual repair? I have seen the pumps and valves for sale but when one looks at the toyota parts website, there are a zillion clamps and tubes...
    NOt sure what to get. There is no "kit" ..ie One part number for all the bits. I dont have a lot of time to work on this issue so I want to try and have as many of the small bits ready to go or just R&R.
    (r&r is short for remove and replace).

28. Jun 10, 2020 at 11:56 AM
    osidepunker

osidepunker OsidePunker

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DC 4x4
    buy the hewitt kit

29. Jun 10, 2020 at 1:13 PM
    rons23

rons23 Get The Led Out!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    Nope Hewitt Kit for the Win. I also had to add pressure sensor switch, which was a $200 add. Knock on wood! Limp mode free:D

30. Jun 10, 2020 at 5:37 PM
    bleach

bleach MEME Fiend

Member:
    First Name:
    DJ
    Battle Ground, WA
    Vehicle:
    1991 White Xtra-cab SR5 4X4 V6 5 speed 148K
    I would be so pissed if I had to pay that much and there wasn't any kit like Hewitt's as an alternative. Why is it so expensive to fix it? The PO's of my truck had to have it fixed twice. The bills were nothing close to $2900 but expensive nonetheless. Why is the system so prone to failure and why isn't Toyota doing anything to remedy the problem?

To Top