1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Secondary air injection pump AIP

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by tl1000crf250, May 3, 2014.

1. Apr 8, 2015 at 6:26 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra sr5 4x4 stepside....
    yep bank account is running low from it..
    Not to bad eh?

2. Apr 9, 2015 at 10:15 AM
    brobins75

brobins75 New Member

Member:
    Spoke too quick. This morning he says truck is ready and it was just "low voltage threw TPS" something or other. And i need a new battery and cables. I said huh? That would cause it to illuminate check engine and trac off and go in limp mode? He said "uh well, let me get this thing put back together and i will give u a call back". It sounded almost like he forgot our conversation from yesterday. So now what? Im not feeling too good about this...

3. Apr 9, 2015 at 12:46 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    Wait and see what the tech says first..

4. Apr 9, 2015 at 4:13 PM
    brobins75

brobins75 New Member

Member:
    He said it was low voltage and i need a new battery. Weird. I did blow a fuse for cig lighter immediately before this happened. Maybe relates. Cables to batt r all corrroded. Only 2 years old. Battery cables have been corroding since day one. I always pour coke on them. Should have reported that earlier bc i believe that indicates a short somewhere. Could be my trailer light plugs shorting out causing corrosion? I did some damage a while back and bent the prongs back but they were pretty mangled. Anyway, its over. They flashed the ecm.

5. Apr 9, 2015 at 10:03 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    very possible your battery was bad with corroding posts tells me the battery was having problems... Pouring coke is not always a good way to cleaning to do you cant clean the the contacts from terminal to terminal. only way to do it take the terminals off use a wire brush or a battery post cleaner with wire brushes and the turn the tool over and clean the truck side terminal.

I dont care who makes the trailer buddy box's they are junk after 5 years. They cause more problems than anything in trucks today main the ground screws up in them and then plays games looking for a ground in the truck else where in the tail lights back feeding. my tacoma has been though 3 so far its right at 20 years old.

If the battery terms are corroded badly the amps cant get out good enough for the ecm.. Ecms in todays trucks demand clean contracts to battery if not they play games with it like in your case.

6. Apr 15, 2015 at 5:54 PM
    Jwh525

Jwh525 I wanna go hunting!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tundra Crew Max
    Sadly....none
    Hey guys,
    I found this site when I googled about issues with the air injection pump for the Tundra's. I currently have a 2011 Tundra crewmax, last Sunday 5 April when I started the truck I got the whole gammot of warning lights. I had it towed into the local dealership. The following morning I got a call from them stating that the AIP had failed and it was a $3000 repair since it's no longer under the original warranty. The truck has roughly 47K miles. I quickly informed him that I have an extended warranty, they checked and confirmed what I said and told me it would be covered at no cost to me, but some of the parts are on backorder. We were leaving the following day for vacation so I wasn't too concerned about it being repaired within a day or two. I inquired about them giving me a rental car since it's a warranted repair, I was told after they confirmed with the warranty people that yes I am entitled to a rental car for 5 days. It has now been in the shop for 10 days and they still have no idea when the parts may come in. Apparently the dealership is number 400 for the parts and the list has since climbed to over 600. I picked up the rental today. The five days are up next Monday. I asked what their plan is should the parts no arrive by then. They said that They'd call me this Friday with an update about an estimated finish date or what their plans are for extending the rental car for however long it takes. The dealership seems to be legit, however after reading this post they should have known that the warranty was extended. Since it's being repaired at no cost to me should I just let it go, or should I tell them about the known issues and what Toyota is doing to cover it?

7. Apr 15, 2015 at 6:26 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    welcome to tundras man..

Dealership may not know you had extended warranty unless they dig in there computer and find it, its not on the main screen on most, so the service guys when doing the write up didnt check it. This is a know issue with the 3uz-fe (5.7) and 2005 on up 2uz-fe (4.7) engines. Main thing toyota will take care of the problem for you since you have the warranty.

As for back order parts its not a toyota problem its a SUPPLIER problem. Trust me the supplier is moving fast to fix these since toyota will charge them back, do to you having a rental and others.

my advice sit back relax let the dealer take care of it.. Right now your truck is( more likely) holding up a tech's bay, and tech's dont like that, nor does the dealer they are losing money. Toyota does not pay the dealer for wait time on parts either so.

Warranty should cover the rental till the work is completed, i would think, if not a phone call to the warranty place would be in order.

8. Apr 15, 2015 at 11:00 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Isn't the AIP warranty good for 150k?

9. Apr 15, 2015 at 11:40 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    Sean 150k is under for cats stuff like that not for injection here.

What I believe( theory here) is what going on here is toyota has it under there 5 yrs /60000 warranty here. Toyota can get away with that. Its not really a critical part its really only for warm up O2 sensors fast, so to be technical here its not under emissions because the engine doesnt need it when warm.

Gm had the same problems back in 80 and 90 with smog pumps on there cars... they honestly didnt warranty them for crap either.

10. Apr 20, 2015 at 8:54 AM
    Jwh525

Jwh525 I wanna go hunting!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tundra Crew Max
    Sadly....none
    Just an update from the dealership. They've still not received the back ordered parts. It's been two weeks today. They aren't sure when they might come in as well. The rental car is due back today but I've not confirmation yet that it'll be extended. I'm waiting for the call.

11. May 1, 2015 at 11:12 AM
    Rustybird

Rustybird New Member

Member:
    Disconnecting the negative battery cable didn't clear the code. Do I need to disconnect both or does it have to be done more than once for it to take? Any other easy fixes for the non-auto mechanic? I had my 2008 Tundra AIP replaced in July 2012. It just failed again and the dealer wants $1400. I called Toyota CSN and they told me tough because they they already replaced it once. Even after I told them that I went to a Toyota service department to have the repair done the first time. Still didn't care. Part is only covered for one year. Clearly what they are doing only lasts 3 years. The service dept told me that it is rare that this would happen and he never has seen it fail again. Right. Not believing that one. For all I know he started the job last week. I told him that either the part is bad or the fix they did to not get water in wasn't done right or doesn't work long term. And I see it has happened to another on the list a second time. Anyway I am waiting for a CSN Supervisor call me and tell me the same thing, but I figure I would give them one more chance to make good before I blast them all over social media. And I told the dealership service dept that I'll blast them too.

12. May 1, 2015 at 11:53 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    2012 Tundra AIP Warranty Enhancement Notice found on Tundra Headquarters:

'The air injection system is utilized to improve cold-start emissions, and is a federally mandated emissions requirement. The systems in question have been affected by moisture in the pumps and valves, resulting in the illumination of the check engine light. While the injection system has no impact on the core function of the engine, the problem has reportedly cost some consumers as much as $4,000 to fix. In an ongoing effort to ensure customer satisfaction, Toyota has recently introduced a Customer Support Program to extend the warranty coverage on air injection pumps and air switching valves.
    This program will extend the warranty on air induction pump assemblies and air injection switching valves for the condition described to 10 years from the date of first use or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first. These vehicles were previously covered for 5 years or 60,000 miles. When the condition is verified, the dealer will replace the air injection pumps and air switching valves in the affected vehicles. Owners of Tundra and Sequoia models covered by this extended warranty will receive an Owner Letter via first class mail with details about the Customer Service Program. There are approximately 477,000 Tundra (2007 to 2010 Model Year) and 57,000 Sequoia (2008 to 2010 Model Year) vehicles covered by this Customer Service Program. Please note that damage incurred by accidents, abuse, vandalism, or similar events are not covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty or the Warranty Extension."

I have a friend in Anchorage who had to get his AIP's replaced on his 2009 a few of years ago and has not any trouble since even with the high humidity there. I have had no issues so far. Knock on wood.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  13. May 28, 2015 at 7:59 PM
    Ken

Ken New Member

Member:
    I have a 2007 Tundra with 88k miles on it, Today the check engine lite came on and thinking it was just the result of a loose gas cap I took it into Toyota to have the lite reset.
    After looking at the vehicle they informed me it was a $2000 repair and I'd have to leave it over night.
    The good news was that they said Toyota was extending the warranty and they would fix it free.
    We will see how this all turns out tomorrow

T-Rex266 and Black Wolf like this.
  14. May 28, 2015 at 8:00 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    I know a few people have reported parts shortage on this. Keep us posted on this.

15. May 28, 2015 at 8:11 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Sorry to hear that. They will confirm and hopefully the air pump supply train has improved. Too bad Toyota won't bite the bullet again and just fix affected trucks. $$$$$$$. Probably using the same pumps. They're in a crappy location. Suck in moisture.

16. May 29, 2015 at 4:33 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    There is one that usually goes bad, unless you drive around in water, and dealer will normally only replace it. In most cases one AIP will be fine and the other all fracked up. My truck has been in a dry climate mostly so hopefully I won't have to make the trip to dealer. Probably won't happen to me until after extended warranty is up. Murphy's Law #6

17. May 29, 2015 at 8:00 AM
    Ken

Ken New Member

Member:
    Havent driven in any wet conditions although previous owner lived and drove in Seattle
    Thanks for the info
    Ken

18. May 29, 2015 at 9:16 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    Murphy has more than one law? Dang, in going to have to investigate, now the rest of my day is shot...because Murphy's Law.

I've actually contemplated being kinda proactive by removing the motors to see what condition they're in, but that's pretty low on the list.

19. May 29, 2015 at 9:36 AM
    Ken

Ken New Member

Member:
    I'm just glad it didn't go in limp mode when we were hundreds of miles from home
    Camping up in the hills
    That's why we all bought Toyotas,,,dependability
    I had a CRV for 250k miles,,never once an issue like this

20. May 29, 2015 at 9:52 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Murphy's Law seems to happen differently for me, so I make random law #'s.
    I think Tundrageeks.com or TundraSolutions.com had good how to pics to diy. Not too complicated. AIP's located passenger side hidden behind up behind fender well covers. Hard to miss. If both pumps are clean and there still an issue then one or both valves to exhaust are frozen. You are hosed at that point. Dealer time.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  21. May 29, 2015 at 11:25 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    Ya, I've glanced through some of those write-ups and bookmarked some of the related info for possible personal encounters with aforementioned Murphy.:eek:

Black Wolf[QUOTED] likes this.
  22. May 29, 2015 at 12:34 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    The pumps are easy for the dealer, it's the valve replacement that really racks up the labor. Probably should tear my AIP's and check condition.

23. May 29, 2015 at 12:48 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    I am having to take my truck in for what looks to be the cam tower leak, I have to try to remember to ask the tech if that repair will afford an opportunity to look at the condition of my (AIP) valves.

24. May 29, 2015 at 3:55 PM
    T-Rex266

Member:
    Happened in my 2012 I had at like 330AM...Luckily, I keep the UltraGauge nearby...I cleared the code and was on my way.

25. May 29, 2015 at 3:55 PM
    T-Rex266

Member:
    Happened in my 2012 I had at like 330AM...Luckily, I keep the UltraGauge nearby...I cleared the code and was on my way.

26. May 29, 2015 at 4:09 PM
    Ken

Ken New Member

Member:
    I got my Tundra back today
    All repairs done , zero charges
    I'm very happy with Totota and our local Auto Nation dealership
    And the check engine light is off

They replaces both pumps too

Wynnded[QUOTED] and Black Wolf like this.
  27. May 29, 2015 at 4:12 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Great news. I kinda wish mine would mess up now, not later. Hopefully never.

28. May 29, 2015 at 4:34 PM
    Ken

Ken New Member

Member:
    I guess they inspected the pumps and saw moisture in them
    You might have your dealer look at them the next time you take it in

Wynnded likes this.
  29. May 29, 2015 at 4:52 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    I'll let the dealer do the AT fluid change. I'll tell them that my AIP's don't sound normal at start up lately and to check them out.heh heh.

30. Jun 16, 2015 at 5:56 PM
    07tundra

07tundra New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black Tundra SR5
    Magnaflow exhaust Custom front bumper Trd cold air intake Top Cab lights 3" leveling kit Added extra leaf spring 8k hids 35" toyo mt's on 18" wheels Limo tint all around 5" led reverse light (freaking awesome)
    Hey everyone, new here. I went to start my truck today my dashboard lit up with bunch of lights. Used a obd reader and got code p2440 secondary air injection system switching valve stuck open (bank 1). Where are the valves located? I have 07 tundra with 4.7 v8. Also isn't there two pumps? Found one under passenger fender

Products Discussed in

To Top