1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Second Battery Needed to Run Fridge?

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by DesertRoads, Jul 20, 2022.

1. Aug 12, 2022 at 3:28 PM
    01erionracing

01erionracing KJ6RKU

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5 4WD 2002 SR5 4wd 2008 CM Limited 4wd
    I would run the portable fridge with the second battery setup with battery isolator (for charging the second battery) and also carry an extra lithium battery jump starter just incase.

Terndrerrr and Vizsla like this.
  2. Aug 12, 2022 at 4:19 PM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
    Jimmy!!!!

01erionracing[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Aug 12, 2022 at 5:03 PM
    FIRE74

FIRE74 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Vehicle:
    2014 Blue Tundra
    I have run one of these for years for my ARB63qt fridge, ARB compressor, heavy winching, and other accessory requirements with zero issues! It’s just my personal opinion :thumbsup:
    FC655F1E-F114-4670-B759-CCF41AEF4C31.jpg

Diablo169 likes this.
  4. Aug 13, 2022 at 5:26 AM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    This is exactly what I do. I have never heard of the relay/isolator I use failing and draining both batteries overnight and stranding someone in the middle of nowhere. I keep a NOCO 2kA jump pack in the truck as well, in case that happens or in case I come across someone with their only battery dead from using/charging camping gear (which has happened).

Speaking of, I think FAR MORE people get themselves stranded with a dead battery because they don’t use a dual battery setup that keeps their truck’s starting battery isolated from their overnight power needs, rather than because they have a dual battery setup that failed on them.

5. Aug 13, 2022 at 6:22 AM
    ShreveportTSS

ShreveportTSS Huh?

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2018 5.7 4x4 Crewmax TSS
    I just came off 4 weeks of running my fridge with a single AGM and the Lensun 100w solar panel. It did great. No starting issues. I did drive the vehicle almost daily but there were a couple days it just set. Did great.

6. Nov 18, 2022 at 4:53 AM
    tvpierce

tvpierce Formerly New Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra AC SR5 4WD, 4.7 Automatic
    Just an update/follow-up on this:

I got this Bouge RV 12 volt fridge/freezer. I used it camping a few times at the end of the summer and it works great. I've also used it a few times at home running off the AC adapter -- comes in handy for parties/family gatherings as extra fridge/freezer capacity or as a drink cooler. Will definitely be using it over the Thanksgiving holiday.

I went with the 53 quart model. My 200 watt solar system has no problem keeping up with it in 80 degree ambient temps. For camping it's my drink cooler, so I set it at 35 degrees and everything feels ice-cold. It will freeze things and keep things frozen if you set the temp low enough... that's just not how I use it. I have a fridge/freezer in the camper for that.

I monitored the power consumption as it cycled. At 12.6 volts it draws 51 watts while running in Normal (non-Eco) mode. In Eco-mode it draws 35 watts. I run it in Eco-mode all the time. Of course how much power it consumes over an hour or a day will depend on the temperature it's set at, the ambient temperature, and how frequently it's opened to access the contents.

It cost $399 and you can get a discount code HERE for $90 off, which brings it to $310 with free shipping. That's less than a Yeti and no more ice!!!

It's kind of a no-frills model which is exactly what I prefer. I don't need dual zones. I don't need to control it from an app or any other nonsense. It does have 3 settings for low-power cutoff, but I haven't needed that and haven't tested it.

Overall, I highly recommend.

7. Nov 18, 2022 at 8:31 AM
    HBTundra

HBTundra New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC 2wd
    Wow . . . that's less than 1/2 of a Dometic . . . intresting. Nice score.

tvpierce[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Nov 18, 2022 at 12:15 PM
    Jack McCarthy

Jack McCarthy Truck repair enthusiast; Rust Aficionado

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    North of Boston
    Vehicle:
    02 Tundra AC SR5 V8 4x4
    After reading this thread, I feel like I need to buy a portable refrigerated cooler and not necessarily just for the truck. It's weird you can get a compact cooler with a compressor to lug around but not an actual portable AC unit you can carry. Go figure. Must require a higher wattage I image.

HBTundra and des2mtn like this.
  9. Nov 18, 2022 at 5:47 PM
    HBTundra

HBTundra New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC 2wd
    I've kinda been waiting for a Dometic CFX3-25 to come up for sale used on Craigslist.
    It's the smallest / lightest they make at 28 lbs. & will still hold 33 cans.
    I know myself, and anything bigger and heavier will be a no-go for Me.
    I think it's a pretty versatile unit . . . on camping trips I'd use it for light weight perishables that I don't want to get soaked, and use a traditional cooler for drinks etc.
    It could be used as a secondary fridge outside at parties, or short trips like beach parties / tailgate events.
    28 pounds empty is totally manageable, add in another 10 lbs. and it's still under 40 lbs. No prob. ( a case of 24 cans is approx. 20 lbs. so still under 50 lbs.)

But when you start getting into the bigger units fully loaded, they become a 2-person deal . . . kinda getting away from the whole 'portability' aspect IMO.

10. Nov 19, 2022 at 4:03 AM
    tvpierce

tvpierce Formerly New Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra AC SR5 4WD, 4.7 Automatic
    I totally agree about portability. Size & weight aren't really an issue for me the way I use it. Between the camper and the bed of the truck, space isn't an issue when traveling. And when I arrive at my destination I set it up and it stays put for a week/weekend.

FYI: Looks like they currently have a Black Friday deal on their 30 quart model @ $233.

Products Discussed in

To Top