1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SAVE THE TUNDRA V8

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by Jsavoie, May 18, 2021.

1. Oct 4, 2021 at 6:16 AM
    Nowhereman

Nowhereman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Monterey Bay area
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 / TRD / Cement
    Rough Country shocks, ReTrax cover, Summo springs, black out badging, bed extender, "some other things I can't mention"
    No unfortunately, have not had the pleasure yet.

2. Oct 4, 2021 at 12:35 PM
    Roborob70

Roborob70 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicle:
    18 Toyota Tundra TRD
    I know exactly where that Cabella's is, from the area, but currently living in Florida. Next time I get up there will check it out. Thanks

toyofan87[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Oct 11, 2021 at 12:33 PM
    WAtundra4x4

WAtundra4x4 Retired from active retirement.

Member:
    First Name:
    Den
    Wet side WA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Tundra TRD crewmax limited
    Forward looking camera, Stub Antenna, 3M clearshield. A few other non lifted items.
    Just to add to the TT discussion, BMW add strengthened (forged) components to their higher powered engines as they get stressed more. My TT I6 3.0 has been very reliable but I have maintained it and drive like a grandpa most of the time as grandma is with me. It’s a 16 M235 with only 22K miles. It will be interesting to see how well it’s received by the world. Will they offer the TT in places like Asia and Africa?

4. Oct 11, 2021 at 8:46 PM
    Tundra_power

Tundra_power New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    V8 engines are ancient!! Plus they get bad mpg what's the point of having one.

5. Oct 12, 2021 at 5:34 AM
    IsaiahCanada

IsaiahCanada New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaiah
    Calgary, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 Crewmax 4x4
    2.5 inch lift, TRD front and rear sway bars, 33 inch Open Country AT3 305/55R20 and dual TRD exhaust.
    You can save money on fuel and that's great but if you have increased maintenance costs that offset the fuel savings, there is no real difference.

For the new model the fuel savings isn't that much better. 3mpg in the city and 5mpg on the highway or 4mpg increase overall. That's not going to be a huge difference.

The mpg difference can be attributed to the axle ratio of 3.31 and the 10 speed transmission. If they did this to the v8 I doubt there would have been a difference in mpg.

Screenshot_20211012-063758_Chrome.jpg

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
  6. Oct 12, 2021 at 8:34 AM
    Canebrake

Canebrake New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JP
    West Alabama
    Vehicle:
    ‘17 SR5 4x4
    Just sold my '15 M235i with 70k miles because of recurring valve cover leaks. First time was just the gasket but then it developed a crack in the new(er) cover itself. Also had a few issues with the transmission, and the water pump needed replacement around 60k. Really solid car until about 50k miles, serviced at dealerships until warranty expired, then certified independent shops. The fact you only have 22k on it is special, continue to baby it. Despite the issues I had with the car, it was a joy to drive. Understated but throaty exhaust, brilliant acceleration : handling ratio. I might've stuck it out and coughed out the money for the repairs (I'll wrench on my Tundra, but I don't have any interest in working on a BMW or German car in general), but with a 4 month old and a 4 year old I decided my German sports car days were over - at least for a while. Enjoy your ride.

JuicyJ and Katblackdiesel like this.
  7. Oct 12, 2021 at 8:47 AM
    C.I.

C.I. Surf, off road, sleep, repeat

Member:
    First Name:
    Cesar Pedrin
    Cabo, Mx
    Vehicle:
    2016 5.7 4x4 Bronze Crewmax
    Mods: Ongoing... probably never ending
    I had no idea climate change was a lie... guess the decades of scientific research are wrong.

Doubt maintenance will increase if the whole package is reliable as before and it doesn't require premium fuel either.
    I beg to differ, 4 overall MPG is a big difference when all you get is 15 combined, thats a 26% increase, hybrid will get another 4-6 mpg on top if Toyota did things right, so 53-66% more mpg than our V8's, that is a giant improvement.
    Yes, the 10 speed alone would have made a difference, but likely 1-2 mpg, no more.

PomDad, =JSG=, MS22 and 3 others like this.
  8. Oct 12, 2021 at 8:51 AM
    TRDGen

TRDGen Schnooogins

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    97 T100 4wd, 03 T3, 06 4wd
    I think it's unfortunately a lost cause. However noble it may be.

9. Oct 12, 2021 at 9:02 AM
    IsaiahCanada

IsaiahCanada New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaiah
    Calgary, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2.5 inch lift, TRD front and rear sway bars, 33 inch Open Country AT3 305/55R20 and dual TRD exhaust.
    Yeah the rear axle ratio and 10 speed transmission make all the difference. This engine isn't really any more efficient than the v8.

07DCLimited likes this.
  10. Oct 12, 2021 at 11:34 AM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 White Double Cab Limited 5.7L 4X4
    I wanted a faster vehicle so I also bought a Chevy SS... because 4 door sedans with big V8’s are hilarious.
    For someone who drives 15,000 miles per year the old Tundra with a 15 MPG combined cycle will use 1000 gallons of fuel for the year. At a nominal $3.25/gallon that is $3,250 in fuel per year.

The new Tundra base engine 4X4 at 19 MPG combined will use 789 gallons for that 15,000 mile year. Same nominal $3.25/gallon gives a fuel cost for the year of $2,564, a savings of $686.00 per year.

Is that enough money saved in fuel to move a guy or gal out of a fairly late model Tundra 5.7L? I wouldn’t think so, unless they’re doing a lot more miles per year of fuel costs really go a lot higher.

I don’t think the 5.7L would match those numbers with a 10 speed and a 3.31:1 rear axle. Would it be improved over the current truck? Sure, I’ll guess it would get to 15/19/17 MPG with the 3.31:1 and 10 speed.

=JSG= likes this.
  11. Oct 12, 2021 at 11:40 AM
    IsaiahCanada

IsaiahCanada New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaiah
    Calgary, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    I bet it would be a lot closer than you might think. Especially with the 3.31 axle ratio.

JuicyJ likes this.
  12. Oct 12, 2021 at 11:42 AM
    B.Ross

B.Ross New Member

Member:
    Southern Utah
    Vehicle:
    2012 TForce CrewMax 4wd
    I'll be keeping my 5.7 well past the 300k mi. mark.

That being said, what would the maintenance costs be on refreshing the turbo's at a similar mileage? Would they make it that far?

That's the one question I'd like to know.

IsaiahCanada likes this.
  13. Oct 12, 2021 at 11:43 AM
    IsaiahCanada

IsaiahCanada New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaiah
    Calgary, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    I know the ford trucks are many thousands to replace. Any fuel savings are lost on the turbo replacement.

JuicyJ and B.Ross[QUOTED] like this.
  14. Oct 12, 2021 at 12:02 PM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I wanted a faster vehicle so I also bought a Chevy SS... because 4 door sedans with big V8’s are hilarious.
    A quick look at fuel economy numbers for competitors V8 powered 1/2 tons that don’t use cylinder deactivation, and have 10 speeds and similar gear ratios you’ll see numbers like I quoted. Those are all direct injection V8’s with more updates. I doubt the 3UR-FE would be in the same league.

15. Oct 12, 2021 at 12:15 PM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I don’t think the turbos on the V35A-FTS are going to suffer much durability wise. Toyota has gone to some pretty extreme lengths to ensure exhaust gas temperatures are lower than other turbocharged engines. The exhaust manifolds are integrated into the cylinder head and they’re water cooled.

I am really confused by all the turbocharger nay sayers on here. There are so many applications for turbocharged engines both in on road, rail, marine, aerospace, and industrial applications where there aren’t problems with turbos. Bear in mind these are all engines with duty cycle ratings that are way way more harsh than a light truck engine. If a turbocharged engine with a continuous full power duty rating can be durable and reliable in an application that would reduce our 5.7L V8 into a melted slag heap, what makes you guys think Toyota can’t figure out how to make a turbocharged light truck engine that will be reliable?

Assuming a high quality turbocharger, all the turbocharger is affected by is exhaust gas temp, lubrication/cooling, and limitations of turbine/impeller/shaft speed. If all of those are within acceptable operating limits, turbos can and should be very reliable.

The V8 for Toyota is done. Gone. Finished. If that bothers you buy a different brand of truck.

16. Oct 12, 2021 at 12:17 PM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    You are operating on the false assumption that every owner of every truck with turbos will have to replace said turbos. It’s a stupid argument, and doesn’t factor in the vast majority of owners who will not have to.

17. Oct 12, 2021 at 12:56 PM
    crewmaxlmt

crewmaxlmt How dare you!

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2020 Crewmax Limited
    The only people having issues with turbos these days are those with variable vanes that don't cycle them enough with the far right peddle. Modern turbos a very reliable of a wide range of applications.

Katblackdiesel likes this.
  18. Oct 12, 2021 at 1:17 PM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Real and tangible? In the case of the hybrid Tundra I think 437 hp and 583lb-ft is a pretty tangible benefit. As far as the carbon footprint for the battery, I could care less to be honest… let’s be real here I make a living running diesel electric powered freight trains and a lot of them are coal loads. All my locomotives have turbos, as a point of failure I’ve had several turbos blow up in 15 years. As a point of failure of the prime mover bearing failure leading to crank case over pressure is the most common failure. Typically this fault code includes a new window in the engine block, and oil and chunks of metal sprayed inside the long hood. Lot’s of fun!

I like powerful vehicles, the iForceMax is the 5.7L replacement and the base iForce TTV6 is in my mind the 4.6L replacement. I’ll be looking for a TRD Pro when the time comes. I’ll probably keep my 2007 too.

You made your choice to buy a 2007 model year truck masquerading as a 2021. You call it proven, and it is; I call it obsolete. You must be upset about it because you’re complaining about the 2022 so much, hey I’d be mad too if I bought an obsolete 2021 and the 2022 was better in pretty much every way.

Note: edited to accurately reflect my trip notes from work and mechanical defects en route.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
  19. Oct 12, 2021 at 1:28 PM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Well that and people who are indifferent to maintenance schedules and using quality consumables like fuel and motor oil.

Katblackdiesel likes this.
  20. Oct 12, 2021 at 1:30 PM
    Katblackdiesel

Katblackdiesel New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kat
    Atlanta - Rome
    Vehicle:
    2007 Timberland Mica Tundra SR5

In my years of working as a diesel tech, I have only ever seen turbos fail due to lack of maintenance. (Excluding the freightliners, they have no rhyme or reason for failures.) So long as the average consumer gets their vehicle maintained when its supposed to be serviced, they'll be fine.

The problem we'll run into FIRST is availability. Turbos are currently getting harder and harder to find at all, let alone in a timely manner. Hopefully Toyota is already prepared for this with the new engines?

21. Oct 12, 2021 at 2:41 PM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Given the sheer number of Prius’s running around with the original battery at nearly 20 years old, and turbo equipped cars and trucks still running around on original turbos that are the same age; I think your argument has very little merit. Just because you can gin up problems in your own mind doesn’t make them actual problems that are likely to occur.

I’m also going through my 2007 (I am like you the first owner) and taking care of maintenance. I’ll keep it on the road because it has given me no reason to get rid of it. I need a catalyst on the driver’s side but stuff wears out, no big deal.

Being a naturally aspirated V8 is not a guarantee of reliability and durability. Toyota has a reputation that is well deserved for building extremely reliable and durable engines and transmissions. If naturally aspirated V8’s were universally more reliable than twin turbo V6’s explain the generally good reputation of the Ford EcoBoost versus the absolute nightmare that is the Ford 5.4L Triton V8. Go ahead, tell us how there are more failures points on the EcoBoost than that 5.4L Triton. Turns out quality engineering design work, and good components make a difference. Toyota is pretty well known for very good very thorough engineering and design, and they generally make or use high quality components. I think the new truck will be OK.

PomDad, GaryC and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  22. Oct 12, 2021 at 4:04 PM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Dude, turbos are not incredibly complex. I really think you are blowing this out of proportion. Whatever floats your boat. I have far more time now beating the absolute hell out of turbo charged engines than I do any other type of internal combustion engine, and I do mean beating on them with full throttle application for hours of total run time. The turbos do fail, but other stuff usually fails first. Of the mechanical failures I see on the equipment I operate the vast majority of the time it comes down to piss poor maintenance, and using the equipment outside of the manufacturer performance guidelines.

A guy like you, who seems to enjoy maintenance and takes some pride in his vehicle will have no problems hitting 300K miles or more on the original components of a well engineered well made turbocharged engine. The third party contractor my employer uses to haul train crews from the hotel to the depot, or to the mines, or to trains en route uses a bunch of Ford Expeditions with the 3.5L EcoBoost, it's not unusual to see them with well north of 300K miles on the odometer and they see more time idling than they do under load running down the road. This same contractor does a totally indifferent job on routine maintenance, I'll venture a guess they do oil changes every 15K miles probably with the cheapest oil they can buy. Those Expeditions have plenty of problems (Ford is horrible at HVAC), but the EcoBoost is not one of them.

Katblackdiesel, MS22 and JLS in WA like this.
  23. Oct 12, 2021 at 4:12 PM
    Bradyu123

Bradyu123 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Vehicle:
    2021 White Tundra double cab
    stock
    . lol found this on facebook

24. Oct 12, 2021 at 6:06 PM
    Blueknights75

Blueknights75 040 IS THE FASTEST

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Clayton, NC
    Vehicle:
    18’ TRD CM leveled with 295/70 Ridge Grapplers
    Put my signature down to save the Toyota V8! I would hope Toyota will bring it back for its full size trucks and SUVs one day…

IsaiahCanada, ff4life4 and Velocity72 like this.
  25. Oct 12, 2021 at 6:25 PM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    LOL all you had to say was Audi.

Germans are no longer interested in making durable cars anymore. They’re all universally dumpster fires on wheels the instant the warranty runs out.

The V35A-FTS has been doing duty since 2017 (as a 2018 model) in the heavy ass luxury sedan we know as the Lexus LS500. To my knowledge there haven’t been many issues with it.

I am also not seeing the level of complication you’re concerned with. There are two internally waste gated turbos, at this point the design is well known and well proven as long as they’re not subjected to EGT’s rivaling surface temps on the Sun, or starved of clean oil.

So we have the turbos added, along with two air boxes, two intercooler radiators, an intercooler, and the associated air, oil, and coolant lines. Add in a pump for the coolant for the intercooler loop, and an extra coolant reservoir. Most of that list isn’t particularly prone to problems as long as the design is solid.

The rest of the engine like the complex fuel system, oil separator, PCV, recirculation system, emissions gear, sensors, etc are going to be present with a naturally aspirated engine too.

An upshot is a reduction in rotating assembly parts. Two less pistons, connecting rods, wrist pins, probably 6 less piston rings, and 8 less valves and valve seats to fail. Less bearings to fail too!

Not sure if you ever watch the YouTube channel: “I Do Cars” it’s pretty entertaining. The guy has a business tearing down salvage engines and parting them out. Easily the number one cause of failures in a wide spectrum of engines he has videotaped is oil starvation, leading to spun bearings because the dumb dumbs of the world don’t know what a dipstick is or how to use it. Turbos, naturally aspirated, gas, diesel, whatever…. most common culprit for failure is poor maintenance or no maintenance. It’s kind of depressing to see a lot of beautiful machinery suffer the fools who own it.

You won’t have that problem I think, and I probably won’t either.

MS22 likes this.
  26. Oct 12, 2021 at 6:25 PM
    Velocity72

Velocity72 New Member

Member:
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    2021 Platinum
    Yes, give me the option.

IsaiahCanada likes this.
  27. Oct 12, 2021 at 7:06 PM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I too would have appreciated the option of a V8 in the 3rd Gen. The problem is that in order to hit fuel economy goals a naturally aspirated V8 from Toyota in the 3rd Gen would have needed direct injection, and possibly *shudder* cylinder deactivation. So the simple, inexpensive, easy to maintain port fuel injection 3UR-FE probably wouldn’t have carried over.

Increasing displacement on the 3UR-FE would be very tough, it’s already under square so more stroke isn’t in the cards and it shares the same bore size, spacing, and cylinder wall thickness as the 4.6L variants of the UR series. No way was Toyota going to design a new block to get a 6.0-6.2L.

MS22 and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  28. Oct 12, 2021 at 7:06 PM
    texmln

texmln New Member

Member:
    Oh, nobody said it was a lie but it IS a scam. When I go outside here in Texas and stare at the Permian clearly the climate has changed since it was previously under an ocean. But you know what? V8's didn't cause the ocean above Texas to disappear 265 million years ago any more than V8's caused the last hurricane. The climate's been changing on earth for 4 billion years. It's only recently that people have decided to use it as an excuse to restrict our freedom, increase government control and raise taxes. Has any government ever proposed a solution to any problem (imaginary or not), anywhere that didn't restrict freedom and raise taxes?

29. Oct 12, 2021 at 7:15 PM
    Cock-A-Doddle-Do

Cock-A-Doddle-Do New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Cypress, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off Road CM -Super White
    ^^TRUTH^^

30. Oct 12, 2021 at 8:48 PM
    Blueknights75

Blueknights75 040 IS THE FASTEST

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Clayton, NC
    Vehicle:
    18’ TRD CM leveled with 295/70 Ridge Grapplers
    Put the 10 speed transmission in it to give it better fuel economy…

IsaiahCanada and ff4life4 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top