1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rusted leaking rear differential cover

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Big Paully, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Jun 24, 2018 at 11:52 AM
    Big Paully

Big Paully [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pablo
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra 4wd
    I have a 2002 Tundra four-wheel drive. My rear differential cover, for lack of a better description, was Rusted and leaking. I read all of the different solutions on here and only a couple seemed to apply. For one, if you're planning on welding a new cover on the differential, keep this in mind. The differential housing is cast iron and the cover which is mild steel, is Flash welded on to the cast iron housing. So if you're going to weld a new one on you better know something about welding cast iron it's not easy. I have been a welder all my life so I know. What I did was drain the rear end, scrape the cover as best I could, wash it down with acetone and then lacquer thinner, then I sandblasted the cover. It was perforated but not so bad that I could not sandblast it. I then again washed it down with lacquer thinner. I then applied 4 coats over a period Of 2 days of por-15. That is some really neat stuff. It is not cheap but it is worth every penny. if the spillover is any indication of how tough this stuff is, then it is quite tough better than J-B Weld or even two-part High build Epoxy paint. After this all dried I replaced the fluid and then sprayed it with four coats of truck bed liner paint. I think this is going to work. It worked on a bike gas tank that was in throwaway condition. I did both the inside and the outside and that was four years ago and I have had no problems. Aside from doing this or welding a new cover on, the only other solution that I can see is finding a bolt on cover, Drilling and tapping holes into the casing of the differential, placing studs and bolting on the cover with a gasket. What this would mean removing the differential from the vehicle disassembling the differential cleaning it especially after the drilling and tapping. And I don't know if they both on cover could be found. the other solution is finding a differential housing from the southwest where there is no rust and either put in your guts in it or getting one that will match. Either one of these other solutions would be pricey and lot of work and disabling your vehicle for several days or weeks. I would like to hear some comments on this solution that I have posed.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  2. Jun 24, 2018 at 3:42 PM
    NewImprovedRon

NewImprovedRon SouthBoundSteve Fan Club President

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2015 Radiant Red TSS Doublecab 4X4 Off Road
    Deck rail system, Bed divider, door sill protectors, LED reverse light bars, Aries Bull Bar with 28" 180 watt LED light bar, LED step lights, LED bed lights, driver-side grab handle, TRD Rear Sway Bar, BedRug bed mat and tailgate mat, Morimoto Fog Lights, more to come.....
    Sounds like you found and posted a great solution! I've heard a lot of great things about POR-15.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  3. Jun 24, 2018 at 3:47 PM
    Pale_Horse

Pale_Horse Sooooooooo White.

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    White 2013 TRD OR 4x4 DC
    Cupcake chit.
    Appreciate the thread but you only get 4 stars because no pictures :)

4. Sep 10, 2018 at 4:52 PM
    CLT@PBD

CLT@PBD New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tundra TRD 4WD
    Exactly which POR-15 product did you use?

5. Sep 10, 2018 at 5:45 PM
    Big Paully

Member:
    First Name:
    Pablo
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra 4wd
    IMG_20180910_204405863.jpg

I think the trick is to get it as clean as possible and apply many coats. It's still working great and looking great. Saved me probably $2500 +/-

6. Sep 10, 2018 at 5:50 PM
    Big Paully

Member:
    First Name:
    Pablo
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra 4wd
    It is dark at this time, send me an email and I will take photos of the differential and send them tomorrow.
    LACASSEPP@GMAIL.COM

7. Sep 12, 2018 at 3:54 AM
    Hossdawson

Hossdawson New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hoss
    Harrisburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    2004 4wd DC
    Hi
    If you havent’t already, you should call Toyota and register a complaint about the shitty thin metal cover that they used on the rear diff. If enough people enter complaints, they may do something. The number is 1-800-331-4331.
    Hoss

8. Oct 12, 2018 at 5:36 PM
    CLT@PBD

CLT@PBD New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tundra TRD 4WD
    I was pursuing the less expensive solution but, 1) at my age I don't like climbing under trucks anymore and, 2) I didn't want to have a fix I'd have to be worrying about. So I was getting a haircut and complaining about it to my hairdresser. She had an '02 Tundra that had the same issue. She had also had the frame replaced under the rust recall, just like me. Her regular mechanic did the rear end for $1700. So I contacted him and dropped the truck off. It ended up costing me $2400 mainly because the speed sensors (part of the ABS) couldn't be removed (more of that rust thing) and re-used.
    The final tally was $1,460 for the diff, $490 for the two speed sensors, around $160 for fluids, hazmat disposal, and other parts and $380 labor. All in all, it was worth it. The truck has some miles left in it and I have a real permanent solution that I won't have to worry about.
    Happy (rust-free) motoring!
    CT

9. Oct 12, 2018 at 5:41 PM
    NewImprovedRon

NewImprovedRon SouthBoundSteve Fan Club President

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2015 Radiant Red TSS Doublecab 4X4 Off Road
    Deck rail system, Bed divider, door sill protectors, LED reverse light bars, Aries Bull Bar with 28" 180 watt LED light bar, LED step lights, LED bed lights, driver-side grab handle, TRD Rear Sway Bar, BedRug bed mat and tailgate mat, Morimoto Fog Lights, more to come.....
    Congrats! Glad you got it worked out!

Products Discussed in

To Top