1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rust on my daughter's car

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by MXPCUS, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Apr 13, 2021 at 9:23 AM
    MXPCUS

MXPCUS [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Southern IL
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra SR5
    Push bar and bed rails
    Not sure where to post a question about a car that's not a Toyota. My daughter has a 2001 PT cruiser and she's absolutely in love with it probably mostly cuz it's purple. I've noticed it has quite a bit of rust on the bottom of it and it's pretty low to the ground so I'm not going to be able to climb under there. I was wondering should I take it to a auto body place or should I just go to a mechanic and find out how bad it really is? I don't know if they can maybe weld some steel plates onto it in some places to reinforce the frame?

2. Apr 13, 2021 at 9:29 AM
    TexAggie

TexAggie New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 CM
    You can do that, just know you will end up spending more on it then its worth. Those cars were built as consumables, you drive it for 10-20 years then part it out. Best option would be to trade it on something else and get what you can for it.

3. Apr 13, 2021 at 9:29 AM
    N84434

N84434 In the Frozen Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Milwaukee WI.
    Vehicle:
    2001 Limited TRD
    In my neck of the woods (Wisconsin) most body shops won't touch rust because it always comes back and the shops hate doing warranty work on rust. The other problem is if it's potentially unsafe, mechanics won't touch it because they don't want the liability.

So, you're left with few options. I would at least pay a mechanic to get it up on a lift and get his opinion. Maybe it's not too bad, and it's more cosmetic.

Jernik and Barrett50 like this.
  4. Apr 13, 2021 at 7:42 PM
    Aron9000

Aron9000 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Good advice. Also consider that this might be the end of the line for the PT Cruiser. Decent lowish miles rust free ones you can't give away right now, one that's got structural rust problems is just one expensive repair away from the junk yard.

BravoDeltaRomeo likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top