1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rowing Machines - anyone?

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by tomsinamerica, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Apr 24, 2017 at 6:29 AM
    tomsinamerica

tomsinamerica [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    White 2016 Tundra DC ltd
    So work is kicking my ass recently. Unless i drag my butt out of bed at 4:30am to work out, there's a really strong chance i'll skip my workout as I'm working until 6 or 7 at night and the last thing i want to do after that, is go work out when i could be hanging out with my wife.

When work gets really crazy, i also tend to wake up in the middle of the night... back to sleep at 3am so essentially zero chance of getting up at 430. Add a mini-me to the equation later this year and stealing 90 minutes to 2 hours for a full workout is gonna go up in smoke.

I use concept 2's as part of my regular workout at the gym and thought that I could just get one for the house, that way I can get a workout in when i have a quick 30-40 minutes instead of hauling my ass down to the gym and back.

Then i started looking into them... yeah.. concept 2, model D or E... vanilla.. easy... (noisy)
    then i saw the dynamic concept 2... looks very cool... love the idea of not moving back and forth all the time and it becoming more realistic... still noisy though.

Then there's the water rower... quiet, arguably prettier to look at when not in use but I've never sat on one, let alone put one through it's paces.

anyone got any experience with using any of these at home?

2. Apr 24, 2017 at 7:51 AM
    Newm

Newm New Member

Member:
    KC
    I've got a Concept II Model E that I have had for close to 7 years now. If my memory serves me right the Model E gets you a little higher off the ground which is nice IMO and more functions on the computer display.

It is noisy though, relatively speaking, when placed in a room at home. Not so bad as to really bother people in other rooms but headphones are a must as it's just loud enough that a TV would have to be blaring.

I don't have any experience with any of the other options listed. I have been curious about the Ski Erg though. You might check that out...I have read it's an even better full body cardio workout.

tomsinamerica[OP] likes this.
  3. Apr 24, 2017 at 8:45 AM
    Pvarela07

Pvarela07 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Silver Tundra SR5 TRD Off-road 4x4
    Just getting started
    I have the Concept 2 Model D and really like it, use it pretty regularly. It is a bit loud but can't really hear it outside the room it is in - i crank up the music and the noise doesn't bother me.

4. Apr 24, 2017 at 5:38 PM
    Dilsky

Dilsky Toyota Brand *****

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2014 Platinum Tundra Crewmax Black
    King Front Coil-overs Coachbuilder shims Toytec Rear shackles - Stock Rear Baja Designs Sport Fog Lights Rough Country 30" Lightbar 18" Method Roost Wheels (Bronze) 285/70/R18 Nitto Exo Grapplers Diamondback HD Cover
    I have a concept model 2 at home and use it fairly often, I have had no problems over the past 3 years just with minor regular maitenence. I set up a bit of a home gym and my wife wanted one for cardio training. There is a whole online world/community with the concept brand which I have not tapped into as it just isn't my thing

My friend does have a water rower but I have never hopped on it so can't really compare. The only thing I regret is that in the winter it is my only cardio and would prefer to have a bike as well as I get board of the rower a bit. In the summer I can go out for a bike ride in the real world.

5. Apr 25, 2017 at 9:11 AM
    tomsinamerica

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    White 2016 Tundra DC ltd
    I do like the online part of C2... the competitive side of me likes the validation... When i first moved out to the states, I lived in deep country and used to road bike all the time but where i am now, there are just too many accidents involving road cyclists... and so far away from trails that it would defeat the whole purpose. I don't think i'd want a rower as my sole exercise, just to fill in the gaps on the days that i don't make it down for a full gym session.

6. Apr 25, 2017 at 9:15 AM
    ej63090

ej63090 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    McHenry, Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Crewmax SR5
    I'd love to get a C2 Rower, but the price tag is a really tough investment. I've adopted Kettlebell training and it seems to work really well - for the price of a C2 Rower you could outfit yourself with enough KB's for any exercise in that realm along with the ability to do both cardio and strength training.

But rowers are so damn fun.

7. Apr 25, 2017 at 10:12 AM
    BadAss182MK

BadAss182MK Semper Fi

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TRD Pro - Cement - Crewmax
    I have a concept 2 model D. I work 12 hour shifts (7a-7p). I always tried to wake up up at 4a to get a workout in but with my kiddos it just never happened. I was always way too tired to wake up that early. So I started trying to do it when I got home from work.

I found it easier to workout when I got home cause I would plan my meals appropriately throughout the day and take a pre-workout before I got home. I love my rower but I love moving some weights too. I have quite a bit of equipment at home but I'll always do a little row first just to warm-up.

This was my fastest time on my 10,000m row...it was rough.

IMG_3643.jpg

Newm and tomsinamerica[OP] like this.
  8. Apr 25, 2017 at 10:19 AM
    tomsinamerica

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    White 2016 Tundra DC ltd
    I'm looking at it as just tying up savings... the resale value on them is out of this world, I've seen used Model Ds go for more than $800... you can get them brand new, delivered to the door for $950... Just make sure you cash out before the Crossfit bubble pops...

I hear you on the KBs though... I love chucking those things around. That combined with a pull up bar is all i really need.

Products Discussed in

To Top