1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rough Country leveling kit

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Anahclown, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Dec 9, 2019 at 1:29 PM
    Anahclown

Anahclown [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lorne
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road Double Cab
    Rough Country 2.5 leveling kit, Tonneau Cover, Magnum RT Step Bars, 7.5' SnoWay plow.
    Hello, another newbie on here! I just had the Rough Country 2.5 inch leveling kit installed on my 2016 Toyota Tundra and today I took it in to get it lined up. When I drove in I explained that I just had the Rough Country kit installed and the first words out of the mechanic was "cheap shit". Anyway, while waiting, the mechanic's came to get me and pointed out that the camber could not be adjusted perfectly because there are not enough threads left. He went on to say that's why he wouldn't put on this cheap stuff. He said I should really have an upper control arm installed as well as a front differential drop. I told him to do the best he could and I would look into it. When I bought this kit I researched to see if there would be issues and have done so again right now to try to find info on this to no avail. I even chatted with Rough Country and they said there should not be a problem. Now I'm wondering if I should go to another line-up garage for a 2nd opinion? Would anyone like to share their professional opinion on this? Thank you.

Steelyhead likes this.
  2. Dec 9, 2019 at 1:38 PM
    vegas4x4

vegas4x4 Blaaack

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black TRD CM 4x4
  3. Dec 9, 2019 at 1:43 PM
    Anahclown

Member:
    First Name:
    Lorne
    Vehicle:
    Rough Country 2.5 leveling kit, Tonneau Cover, Magnum RT Step Bars, 7.5' SnoWay plow.
    I had this one installed: https://www.roughcountry.com/toyota-leveling-lift-kit-870c.html The mechanic that installed it I definately have faith in, even the line up guy commented on that. Can't say the same for the line-up guy. I'll admit, they were not my first choice but they got me in the quickest. By the way, thanks for the reply.

4. Dec 9, 2019 at 2:10 PM
    vegas4x4

vegas4x4 Blaaack

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black TRD CM 4x4
    I believe those are the same kits minus the rear blocks and u-bolts. That being said, if it was installed properly, the alignment shop is probably to blame. Someone making comments like that clearly isn’t professional

Boerseun likes this.
  5. Dec 9, 2019 at 2:11 PM
    Boerseun

Boerseun MGM XP-Series

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota Florida
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM XP-Series CrewMax 4x4
    I have same kit. I have the shims installed also for a total 3" lift, so if you have the 2.5" only you should not have a problem getting it aligned. At 3" though mine is maxed out for alignment; there is not much room left for any more adjustment, but it is perfectly aligned. I have more than 20,000 miles on it now and the tires are wearing perfectly.

6. Dec 9, 2019 at 2:18 PM
    Anahclown

Member:
    First Name:
    Lorne
    Vehicle:
    You are correct about the comments. If I didn't need the line up so bad I probably would have backed out. Now wish I did. I think I may get a 2nd opinion and line up. If these guys have no issues and say he don't know what he's talking about then I'm going to have some fun, respectfully of course but very blunt. Thank you for your help!

aussieaarons likes this.
  7. Dec 9, 2019 at 3:06 PM
    vegas4x4

vegas4x4 Blaaack

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black TRD CM 4x4
    Good luck! Definitely take it to another alignment shop and show them the print out of the precious shops alignment. Assuming that they gave you one

8. Dec 9, 2019 at 3:08 PM
    Anahclown

Member:
    First Name:
    Lorne
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, lesson #2, get a printout. I didn't. I should have taken a picture if nothing else. Thanks again!

vegas4x4 likes this.
  9. Jan 17, 2020 at 10:06 PM
    Willskaf

Willskaf New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Castro Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    19, Limited, CrewMax, Off Road, Cement Gray
    None Yet
    F him. He should not be makind a stupid comments like that to a customer if he was a professional. You should have told him to step up and pay out of pocket for a better kit for you then. I bet he is driving a dump for a car.

10. Jan 17, 2020 at 10:22 PM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC SR5 Barcelona
    Alot of them
    Just a thought....let the dealer align it. I found that the alignment cost is the same at the dealer as it is at local shops.

Anahclown[OP] likes this.
  11. Jan 18, 2020 at 3:36 AM
    Anahclown

Member:
    First Name:
    Lorne
    Vehicle:
    I ended up going to another line-up shop and they said they had no idea why the first guy couldn't do it, they had no problem. I even took the report from 2nd shop back to 1st one to show them. Long story short, I didn't get a refund, which I didn't expect I would. Sadly, I buy most of my tires thru them so now they lost a customer.

12. Jan 18, 2020 at 5:29 AM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    I think is cheap comment was due to it being a spacer lift. The truth is it is the lowest cost way to lift. Spacers or coilovers there should be no difference in getting an alignment as long as you stay under a certain height. Spacer lifts are fine for street trucks and mild off roadin . Personally I would not have one.

13. Jan 18, 2020 at 6:18 AM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Alot of them
    Some of the spacers stiffen the ride though.....that's why mine are coming out soon.

14. Jan 18, 2020 at 7:23 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun MGM XP-Series

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota Florida
    Vehicle:
    A lot of people say that but it is just not true. There is no physical of technical way that a spacer can stiffen the ride. Stiffness is determined by the springs and or shocks. The spacer can't do anything.
    What happens is that people put bigger tires on the same time they add the lift. Most of the time they go from OEM road tire to a harder truck tire, then when the ride is harder because of the tires they blame the spacers.

Cthulhu and aussieaarons like this.
  15. Jan 18, 2020 at 8:09 AM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Alot of them
    It's one of those topics that will always be debatable. Mine was installed before wheels and tires. It doesn't help that roads here in FL are crap. Don't the spacers decrease down travel which is a contributing factor as well?

16. Jan 18, 2020 at 8:14 AM
    SprinterAE86

SprinterAE86 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Charlottetown, PE, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Sequoia Platinum
    Bilstein 5100 2.3/1.5, TRD sway bars ft/rr, Cooper Tires Discoverer AT3 XLT 295.70.18, Vision Manx 2 18x9 +12, APS side armor steps, TRD-Pro Grill and Bulge, de-chromed, blackout emblems, OEM mirror caps and flares, TRD shift knob, Leather wrapped steering wheel, All weather mats
    I do not have rough country, but I ended up going to three alignment shops just to get it close to what I wanted. All three did put everything up to Toyota specs, but still visually off. You can get a second opinion and have them give you a before and after printout.

17. Jan 18, 2020 at 4:17 PM
    Boerseun

Boerseun MGM XP-Series

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota Florida
    Vehicle:
    Down travel is decreased, yes, but that does not give you a harder ride on the road. I go on construction sites driving through 1-ft deep ditches etc. and hardly ever feel that I hit the bump stops, because I go slow. I have never been on a road at travel speed and got anywhere near bottoming out.

tbutler and Cthulhu like this.
  18. Jan 18, 2020 at 7:25 PM
    jeremyd

jeremyd 2014 Crewmax SR5

Member:
    NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM 4X4
    ProComp 7" 35/12.50/18 -11
    I run a 1 inch spacer on top of a 6 inch lift. There's zero difference in ride..

tbutler and Boerseun like this.
  19. Jan 18, 2020 at 9:44 PM
    Willskaf

Willskaf New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Castro Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    None Yet
    I hate when people put down spacer lifts . Sure if you are offroading all the time , go ahead and spend thousands of dollars . But when it's your daily driver and minor offroading such as hunting and camping a normal truck can do that and a spacer lift will even be better . I love how people with a $5k lifts knock the spacer guys down, but I bet you there is a lot more guys with $5k lifts that never take their truck off-roads. Now who is the smart ones?????

Boerseun and Cthulhu like this.
  20. Jan 18, 2020 at 9:46 PM
    Willskaf

Willskaf New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Castro Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    None Yet
    I see 6" lifts all the time with a stupid looking 22" wheels and the paint is cleaner than my Viper . You can't tell me that this guys takes his truck offroading ???? The bottom line, it all depends on what you use your truck for . Everyone is different

Boerseun and Cthulhu like this.
  21. Jan 19, 2020 at 8:07 AM
    jeremyd

jeremyd 2014 Crewmax SR5

Member:
    NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM 4X4
    ProComp 7" 35/12.50/18 -11
    crack a beer bro ! It ain’t worth it. Lol

Products Discussed in

To Top