1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rooftop Tents for Tundra Crewmax

Discussion in 'Recovery & Gear' started by Kerch71, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Jun 14, 2021 at 4:46 PM
    AlaskanAssassin

AlaskanAssassin I now walk into the wild

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2020 DC TRD-OR, Cement
    Do you have the HD model topper? If not, I would have thought that you’d be exceeding the weight limit of your topper with RTT + people.

2. Jun 28, 2021 at 4:33 PM
    CorsoTundra

CorsoTundra This is the way

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    North GA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Trail Edition
    Toytec Aluma 3/1.5, Pro headlights, OEM LED fog lights, AJT chrome delete, interior/exterior LEDs, front TRD sway, 18x9 Method Roosts, 285/75/18 Toyo A/T 3, RCI engine skid,
    Sweet setup.
    Question on your camp stove: Do you have anything under that on your tailgate? I figured it might get pretty dang hot sitting there while cooking. TIA

3. Jul 5, 2021 at 6:40 PM
    GODZILLA

GODZILLA Hail to the King, Baby.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TRD Pro TACOMA, 2022 Honda CB500X
    Trying not to mod it
    I'm in my research stage for a RTT, and I really prefer the hard shells. I'll pay the price, because it's still cheaper than a TT. So far I've pretty well narrowed it down the to the iKamper Skycamp 2 and the Roofnest Condor XL as they are about the only 4 man hardshells I've found.
    I have a brother with the iKamper, and he loves it, but his confirmation bias is strong. I can get some hands on looking at it when I want too, though. iKamper also has a pretty solid reputation. Basically I have lots of info on the iKamper (but I'm not opposed to more), and next to nothing on the Roofnest.

Anyone have a roofnest Condor or Condor XL? Know anyone who does? Thoughts? Feelings? Concerns?

4. Jul 5, 2021 at 7:24 PM
    AlaskanAssassin

AlaskanAssassin I now walk into the wild

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2020 DC TRD-OR, Cement
    I haven’t made my purchase yet but am close and these were the exact 2 I couldn’t decide between.

Keyword…were. I know the lead time is crazy but I think I’m about to pull the trigger on a GFC. It’s definitely much more $ but it checks all the boxes. I can keep it on year round, sleep in the RTT and in the bed, keep rain and snow out of my bed in the winter.

If I didn’t live in Alaska I’d consider a rack + RTT but I see a rack as useless in Alaska 8 months of the year and don’t like the concept of putting it on/off twice a year. I contemplated a Diamondback + Front Runner rack but that combo was almost as expensive. Side note….I also never understood a bed rack + RTT setup only as it’s hard to keep gear away from the elements (rain, dust, snow, etc.). The argument here I guess is a decked drawer system…but again, major downside is not being able to utilize your bed for truck needs with this setup (and decked + RTT + rack cost nearly as much as the GFC).

Lastly, the alternative of an HD topper + RTT costs the same or more than the GFC so having a solid topper + a reputable queenish size RTT all in one is looking like the way to go from my perspective.
    1B82E8F1-A81F-42BB-A04C-A509091E78A4.jpg
    Photo credit: @WVTRDPRO

Sundog, TOYOTARIG, grave and 6 others like this.
  5. Jul 5, 2021 at 7:36 PM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    I had kind of written the GFC off a long time ago, and had forgotten about it. I was also assuming it was only a 2 person set up. Not a huge fan of the look, but function over form is often the path to success.

Leaving it on is a bonus, but some racks can still allow use of the bed by removing or sliding the cross bars. I'll definitely have to look into the GFC, and do an honest comparison on the price. I'm in a crewmax, so not sure how viable using the bed for sleeping will be.

Decent totes should be weather proof enough, and help with organization, but totes would work under the GFC just as well.

Thank you for sharing your perspective on this. It's given me more to think about.

6. Jul 6, 2021 at 4:18 AM
    WVTRDPRO

WVTRDPRO New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    WV
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Pro DC White
    @AlaskanAssassin The only thing I can add is that I have also really enjoyed the ability to be inside the GFC during inclement weather while camping. We have an ARB awning with the awning room but that can sometimes be a pain to setup, especially if you're trying to do it quick to beat some incoming weather. With the GFC opened and the removable bed panels moved to the front you can easily stand and hang out inside the camper. It may not be as spacious or luxurious as a Four Wheel Camper but I consider this an added benefit over a fiberglass topper and RTT.

7. Jul 6, 2021 at 11:36 AM
    itsmerh85

itsmerh85 New Member

Member:
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black TRDPro
    Take a look at the Tuff Stuff Alpha, or Alpha 2 (smaller version). I have mine on order and should be here in a couple weeks. It's basically the same as the iKamper but the shell is a bit taller and a couple other minor differences, but it's basically the same tent for a few hundred dollars less.

8. Jul 6, 2021 at 6:20 PM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    I was actually looking at the Alpha when I started a different thread https://www.tundras.com/threads/i-want-to-start-camping-again.91512/ but saw some issues from owners. For the life of me I can only find the one video now, but issue number 2 was part of what bumped it out of the running. I'll pay the extra money for a Roofnest that I've not been able to find these kinds of issues on. No doubt the Alpha is a bargain, but I don't want to buy one, and then have to shop for another RTT if I'm not happy.

https://youtu.be/PZZbPasVwS8?t=153

itsmerh85[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Jul 7, 2021 at 8:04 AM
    itsmerh85

itsmerh85 New Member

Member:
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black TRDPro
    Yeah I'd seen that video, I do wish the top was a bit thicker and slimmer but at a savings of $500+ I went with the Alpha anyway. Revere Overland has the Alpha and has great things to say (and let's be honest, he probably uses it a lot more than I will at first), so given his high usage and good review I pulled the trigger. Definitely can't go wrong with an iKamper or Roofnest if your budget allows.

GODZILLA[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Jul 7, 2021 at 8:44 AM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    I totally hear you, and if I hand even marginally decent luck instead of the sh*tshow luck that I do, then I'd still be considering it. I hope your Alpha kicks ass for you!

itsmerh85[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Jul 10, 2021 at 6:24 PM
    ExpeditionPhoenix

ExpeditionPhoenix New Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Pro
    I've been using a Treeline Constellation 4 years now. It is definitely a well constructed 4-season RTT, but I would not suggest them for two reasons I'll get into later. To anyone considering purchasing a RTT, I would highly suggest going with a hard-shell for a variety of reasons. While the soft top RTTs usually have a smaller footprint closed and open up with a larger amount of interior space, the setup/tear-down is an absolute pain. Zipping and unzipping the travel cover is a hassle especially when camping in cold weather because the zipper around the corners tighten up substantially when cold making it extremely difficult to put back on (with nothing in the RTT). Installing the travel cover is not too difficult in warm weather, but it still takes substantially more time and effort than a hard shell. Pulling into a dark camp spot after being out all day or waking up in the morning ready to roll, only having to mess with vinyl travel covers and zippers is a real drag. The time spent setting up and tearing down soft top RTTs detracts from the enjoyment. If you do go with a soft top RTT pay attention to how the front entrance awning is supported. Most of the newer soft top RTTs don't have the issue my Treeline model has as they've since made the bar that supports the front awning entrance adjustable. However, 1) on the Treeline it is a one piece "U" shaped fixed bar that only uses tension by jamming it into support holds on the base of the bed platform. Getting that bar in and out is an absolute nightmare. Getting it in is not so much the issue, but removing it is one of the most frustrating design choices in RTTs I've experienced to date, not so much because of the time it takes, but the frustration. I've had to have a buddy help me remove it from its base supports on a few occasions. 2) I ordered this RTT when I was deployed to Iraq and the wife accepted it. After I returned home I opened it to find the annex I ordered was not delivered. Since Treeline is based out of Canada it was coming via DHL. DHL somehow delivered the RTT, but not the awning. The tracking stated there was an issue in transit with the annex. DHL sent me to Treeline and Treeline sent me to DHL. Treeline reluctantly agreed to reship it and kept promising delivery in the coming months, 8 months later it was resolved after I successfully disputed the charge on my credit card, providing emails between myself and Treeline to the credit card company. Mainly because of issue #2 I would not recommend Treeline.

As a stop-gap until I possibly commit to a shell/tent solution, I'm about to replace my treeline with an iKamper SkyCamp Mini once the rocky blacks are back in stock. What I like about the iKamper Mini is the quality (made in South Korea opposed to a China re-brand) and the setup/tear-down ease. Instead of spending 20+ minutes dealing with that terrible awning support design and travel cover zipper, in less than a minute you can breakdown the iKamper. iKamper's customer service is also reportedly the best in the RTT community, although I hope I won't have to find out.

Someone in the thread mentioned it's a slippery slope once you start getting more refined creature comforts. There is credence to that. I've been trying to decide if I want to get a shell/tent combo like @AlaskanAssassin GFC or a 4x4 Van. I prefer the Super Pacific USA over the GFC, but the Super Pacific are substantially more expensive, like ~$13,000 with a lead time of February 2022! So much more expensive that it makes me want to save that money towards a 4x4 van and go with the iKamper in the interim. BTW, I really like the MSA drop drawer @Wildtrout has mounted on his Decked. I have a Decked system as well and have been looking for a DS50 Drop Slide but they are nowhere in stock. Until then I'm just running my CFX3 55IM inside the cab.

I got way off track, but unless you are sleeping more than two people in a RTT I would not recommend a soft top RTT. Go with a hard shell. Yes, they are more expensive; however, a hard shell RTT will provide extremely fast and less frustrating setup/tear-down as well as better protection. If you're going to be spending at least $1500+, I'd rather do it right the first time and own something that doesn't have the issues of a soft top RTT explained above. I hope that helps others not make the mistakes I have made with soft top RTTs.

t300 likes this.
  12. Oct 19, 2021 at 7:38 PM
    greentrbo95gst

greentrbo95gst New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    I have been using Ikamper Skycamp with Overland RuffRax rack. Pictures for reference.

PXL_20211016_032633928.MP.jpg
    PXL_20211016_220830839.jpg
    PXL_20211016_221010081.jpg
    PXL_20211016_234629656.MP.jpg
    PXL_20211017_233806289.jpg

13. Oct 27, 2021 at 4:50 PM
    greentrbo95gst

greentrbo95gst New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Just had the roof rack installed by the same company. Very impressed with the quality. About to install handles to match the bed rack.

PXL_20211027_232737666.MP.jpg

PNWTundra2021 and jewsNbrews like this.
  14. Sep 5, 2022 at 2:44 PM
    grave

grave New Member

Member:
    SD CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 4.7 SR5 4X4
    damn. new favorite truck alert. nice setup! i just picked up a new skycamp 3.0 and we love it. only been out this one time but with cooler weather on the way we'll get some more use out of it.

[​IMG]

jewsNbrews, Sundog and JEFFTHEROBOT like this.
  15. Sep 5, 2022 at 2:47 PM
    grave

grave New Member

Member:
    SD CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 4.7 SR5 4X4
    Hey I recognize this setup... hi, Robots!

JEFFTHEROBOT[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Sep 15, 2022 at 1:17 PM
    JEFFTHEROBOT

JEFFTHEROBOT New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Lakewood, CO
    Vehicle:
    2017 Crewmax Barcelona Red
    TRD Pro grill & bulge Method 305NV 18x9 (x5) Eibach PRO LIFT SYSTEM (Stage 1) ICON 1.5″ REAR ADD A LEAF UpTop Overland mid-height truss Area BFE Black series Aluminum hard shell rooftop tent (Large) TRD Pro Shift knob Total Chaos bed stiffeners AJT blackout interior OEM blackout badge overlays Diode dynamics SS3 fog lights Diode dynamics 42" stealth light bar Rigd mega ultraswing spare tire carrier Compustar Pro R3 remote start EBC brakes & rotors
    @grave Thats that Old old setup. hahaha, 2 iterations ago.

grave likes this.
  17. Jun 17, 2023 at 2:10 PM
    tonynw318

tonynw318 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Oregon coast
    Vehicle:
    2020 silver sky SR5 crewmax
    interesting seeing a rtt mounted to the cab. My daughter is interested in camping and now I'm looking at rtts. Trying to find all the options. I love having my bed space freed up. I was thinking a bed rail system that I could remove when needed. This is an option I want to explore more

GODZILLA likes this.
  18. Jun 17, 2023 at 2:19 PM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    Most bed racks aren't super hard to pop on or off, and neither is a RTT is you have an extra body to help. It's less the weight of the smaller ones than it is the awkward size. I eventually wound up in an iKamper Skycamp Mini 3.0 after a miserable experience with Roofnest. One is a quality product and you pay for it, the other is cheap chinese garbage, and oh boy do you pay for it.

Any particular tents you are looking at so far?

tonynw318[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Jun 17, 2023 at 2:46 PM
    tonynw318

tonynw318 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Oregon coast
    Vehicle:
    Thanks good to hear because the rofnest overland looked like a nice option. I'm definitely leaning toward doing the bed rail with rtt set up and just removing them when not in use. On the high end, I like what you have in the skycamp mini. Also came across the ARB Esperance recently. Fold out option at only 125lbs.

20. Jun 17, 2023 at 3:11 PM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    The overland was the exact tent I bought and it was trash. Cheaply made. They push real hard that they are an "American" company, but they aren't. They're essentially a dropship company for chinese garbage with some people here who might answer a phone or email if they feel like it. Avoid them like the plague is my advice.

I'd definitely trust ARB over Roofnest. I didn't know they made a hard shell tent, either.

Question, you keep saying "bed rails" but I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Do you mean a bed rack that uses the bed rails? If not, do you have a pic or a link to an example?

21. Jun 17, 2023 at 3:37 PM
    tonynw318

tonynw318 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Oregon coast
    Vehicle:
    You're right, I meant to say bed bars, like the CBI bars. That attach to the bed rails. Bars. Bed Bars. lol.

22. Jun 17, 2023 at 3:39 PM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    Ok, I follow now. LOL

tonynw318[QUOTED] likes this.
  23. Jul 8, 2023 at 12:39 PM
    Front_Range_Pro

Front_Range_Pro EEF Brand Ambassador

Member:
    Vail, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2022 Lunar Rock TRD Pro
    I have iKamper X-Cover 2.0 and bought the Annex Plus. I verified I bought for the X-Cover 2.0 but received a “Skycamp Annex Plus”.

Im hoping the Annex is universal for both, Skycamp and X-Cover. I can’t any intel regarding the use of an X-Cover and annex.

Guess I’m blazing another new trial in the overlanding setups? :rofl:

image0.jpg
    IMG_2030.jpg
    IMG_2047.jpg

Hecteasy and jewsNbrews like this.
  24. Jul 17, 2023 at 5:00 AM
    jham101

jham101 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Hey I have a RSI smart cap and ikamper sky 2.0 on my truck. I normally take the RTT off in the winter. When I drive with it in the summer the handling and lean on my truck at 30+ get pretty sketchy. Anything I can do to make the truck feel more planted? I was thinking about adding sway bar links. I live in Montana and am on rough dirt roads relatively often. I have read you lose some articulation but I’m will to compromise on that if I get better driving quality back. Thanks for any advice!

25. Jul 17, 2023 at 5:13 AM
    fundra_goes_west

fundra_goes_west I’m just a guy with a girl

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2022 SQ8
    With all that weight (especially up high) I would start with the sway bar, but anticipate a custom set of rear leaf packs.

26. Jul 17, 2023 at 5:27 AM
    jham101

jham101 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ok thanks! I did a torch add a leaf a while back that adds a minimal amount of load capacity but it’s not enough. Any suggestions on leaf packages to look at?

27. Jul 17, 2023 at 8:20 AM
    fundra_goes_west

fundra_goes_west I’m just a guy with a girl

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2022 SQ8
    Either Alcan or Deaver. I had issues with my Alcan’s but others seem to like them. Just my $.02 but I think you’ll be ok with either. I would start with the rear roll bar and see if that gives you the ride you want first. May save you a few bucks if it works.

jham101[QUOTED] likes this.
  28. Jul 19, 2023 at 9:46 PM
    grave

grave New Member

Member:
    SD CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 4.7 SR5 4X4
    TRD rear sway bar will help a ton. one in the front will be even better. yea you'll lose some off-road articulation so there's that. just depends on your needs.

29. Jul 20, 2023 at 1:17 AM
    SAGE63

SAGE63 Wannabe Go Fast Overlander Small Rock Crawler

Member:
    San Diego County
    Vehicle:
    2021 Super White Limited Crewmax TRD Offroad 4x4
    Tuffstuff Alpha II on a voodoo 14" rack.20230427_174924.jpg 20230426_061953.jpg 20230425_065749.jpg

30. Aug 22, 2023 at 4:35 AM
    Js18tundra

Js18tundra New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18 Tundra sr5 TRD 4x4
    Diamondback se tonneau
    How do you guys feel about 23zero, or overland systems rtt’s?

Products Discussed in

To Top