1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rodent Bummer

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Builds (2014-2021)' started by Topo, Jan 18, 2023.

1. Jan 19, 2023 at 5:47 PM
    Mr Badwrench

Mr Badwrench New Member

Member:
    I have a mechanics rag covered in pepper spray that I keep under my hood if I know I am going to be parking for a while, or in the cold (remove before driving obviously). It works great, but my eyes water for the first 10 minutes of my commute sometimes. It's a drastic measure, but it does work. For what it's worth.

2. Jan 22, 2023 at 2:30 PM

Topo [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5
    Getting the windshield wipers off, the clips undone, and the plastic shroud off, is proving to be way more difficult than expected. I gave up, in fact, and put my antirodent plan into action on wrapping exposed wiring with aluminum tape. I’m gonna need some help to get to that air intake, tho. Maybe a body shop will pop it off for me.
    My other preventative measures have been to use the peppermint spray, moth balls, strings of Christmas lights under the hood and on the ground, and, a portable radio on at night.

8BB24AAB-C397-43E6-A0B1-E01515C1DEC5.jpg

3. Jan 22, 2023 at 2:39 PM
    2mchfun

2mchfun Yeah it'll pull it, just don't expect to stop!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 White 4x4 CM Trail Ed. 2018 White 4x4 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Seat covers, dash mat, ext. Trans. Cooler, sumo springs, oem pwr fld tow mirrors
    Fwiw, I didn't fully remove all. I just either removed the bolts or clips and wedged it open enough to get access as needed to screen it with hardware cloth and washered self tapping screws. The shroud is pretty flexible and with extensions and swivels between the drill and the socket it's doable. Don't forget to shield your fender with a blanket or towel and some painters tape on the back edge of the hood as well.

Topo[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  4. Jan 22, 2023 at 3:05 PM

Topo [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5
    Good to know. Possibly, I would only need to pull the passenger side wiper, and prop the shroud back. What's the trick with the clips? Do you have to squeeze them with needle nose to release their hold on the shroud?

5. Jan 22, 2023 at 3:16 PM
    2mchfun

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    Seat covers, dash mat, ext. Trans. Cooler, sumo springs, oem pwr fld tow mirrors
    I can't remember exactly what type of fasteners are used. However, probably a YouTube video online. If I wasn't having a medical issue with my foot at the moment, I would go look and answer your question. Going to be on crutches for a few days I think. If you still need help in a few days or next weekend send me a message and I think I can assist you more at that time. Sorry, just can't move around much at the moment.

6. Jan 22, 2023 at 4:26 PM

Topo [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5
    Ahh...sorry about the foot. I've had some crutches experience...that I am glad is over. I've been searching YT, but nothing yet. I'll keep trying. Just would like to know if it needs a squeeze to release, and which direction. That middle mounted wiper is gonna be tricky since it seems like you have to get up in the engine bay to reach it. Possibly, if the shroud is that flexible, maybe I won't need to pull it.

7. Jan 22, 2023 at 4:35 PM
    2mchfun

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    I didn't remove the wiper, however a 2 jaw puller will pull it off if you want to. A small step ladder near the right front tire with a fender shield worked for me.

Topo[QUOTED][OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top