1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ride quality upgrade without upping the ride height

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Tundra280AI, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Nov 29, 2016 at 7:33 PM
    Tundra280AI

Tundra280AI [OP] New Member

Member:
    COS
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tacoma TRD OR
    Been reading around and seeing that Bilstein 5100s are a good choice, just wondering if there's anything else you'd recommend?

Reason being after riding in two different TRD Off Roads, I like their ride quality better than mine. One had 18" wheels, the other had 20s like mine with the same 275/55s so I know it wasn't the tire difference.

Not looking to lift it, but just want a better feel.

TIA

2. Nov 29, 2016 at 7:51 PM
    bobeast

bobeast really old member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Hollister, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC
    - Bull Bar - LED Bunny Burners - AMP retractable running boards - Headlight leveling retrofit - P3 Brake Controller - 60% rear seat delete - relocation of Sub to rear wall - Bilstein 5100 x4, top setting with 2 shims per side - Coach builder +2 rear shackles w/carrier bearing drop - Firestone Air bags - on-board compressor with auto-leveling - Dual Undercover Swing Boxes. - P285/65/R20 (34.6") BFG TA KO2's - TRD Front skid plate - Pop & Lock Tailgate lock - Remote Tailgate mod - LED Headlights - Nav Bypass - iPhone integration - Serius/XM retrofit - 25% front tint - Bizon electric tonneau cover - Power folding tow mirror upgrade - 2010+ leveling Headlight mod - Auto-fold mirror mod. - one-touch lane changer mod - Flash to open garage opener mod - Rigid H/L fog light upgrade - Pushbutton / Remote start mod.
    An 18" wheel will typically ride better than a 20" because there is more rubber between you and the ground. Tire pressure can also affect ride quality. I'm running the 5100s and the ride is just slightly firmer than stock, but seems to absorb small bumps a lot better (read better ride). That said, its really pretty subjective, so YMMV.

zcarpenter92 likes this.
  3. Nov 29, 2016 at 9:33 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    Bilstein 5100s, Bilstein 6112 or Toytec Boss set at 0" lift if your not looking for any lift.

YotaDan and ColoradoTJ like this.
  4. Nov 29, 2016 at 10:28 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
    I think @AxelsHumanDad (sorry if it's not you) or one of the other guys just bought the red TRD performance shocks, they don't lift the truck but I'm not sure what the differences are between them and the Bilsteins on the TRD models.

Ride quality means different things to different people, I'm not a suspension guy but I know that there can be big differences between shocks and the way they are valved/setup.

One thing that may improve ride quality, specifically body roll/handling, is a TRD rear sway bar.

trayday, joonbug and csuviper like this.
  5. Nov 30, 2016 at 1:47 AM
    Drew05

Drew05 New Member

Member:
    Are we talking about lexus ride quality or better handling?

6. Nov 30, 2016 at 3:52 AM
    AxelsHumanDad

AxelsHumanDad I am Groot

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    KAIG, NW of The Frozen Tundra
    Vehicle:
    2015 CM Platinum
    Some suspension tweaks
    yep, that was me. :)

It depends on what you have and what you want. Your vehicle description says 1794, does that have the black shocks like my platinum had? Soft, "squishy" ride? I've had 5 TRD trucks previously and the ride of this was definitely soft in comparison.
    Basically there are 3 factory shocks; the black Tokico, the yellow Bilstein TRD off road, and the red TRD performance.
    My truck is a street pig with about 95% highway time, and I enjoy "spirited" driving meaning I like to go fast around curves :)
    I went with the red shocks plus the sway bar and it definitely firmed up the ride. Is it different than the yellow shocks? I would say its similar, but I was told the red are aimed more toward street driving more than off road.
    I like them so far, got about 1000 miles on them. It for sure handles like a car and rides like a truck way more than those wallowing black shocks. I also changed my front springs to the off road spring.
    I'm still tweaking my air pressures looking for the sweet spot. I have 275 55 20 Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires and Spidertrax wheel spacers. When these are due for replacement I want to go with 305 50 20 in the same tire.

sent from my phone right after the alarm woke me so apologies if this was a confusing paragraph, I'll check it later on a real computer :)

7. Nov 30, 2016 at 5:24 AM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
  8. Nov 30, 2016 at 5:52 AM
    Tundra280AI

Member:
    COS
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tacoma TRD OR
    So what I meant is that the TRD OR (even with 20s) has a firmer ride, but better in that it absorbs bumps more smoothly while mine is more harsh feeling. Firmer but softer in a way?

9. Nov 30, 2016 at 6:47 AM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    I gotcha. It all gets complicated, but at least you know you like the feel of the Bilsteins on the TRD off road. I'm not sure how the ride on the 5100's and 6112's compare. The TRD OR Billy's pop up for sale quite a bit as "take offs" when guys lift their trucks.

10. Nov 30, 2016 at 7:35 AM
    AxelsHumanDad

AxelsHumanDad I am Groot

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 CM Platinum
    Some suspension tweaks
    Do you currently have the black or yellow shocks?

11. Nov 30, 2016 at 7:52 AM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    Yup, mine will be up for sale in a week or two.

MotoTundra[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Nov 30, 2016 at 9:50 AM
    Tundra280AI

Member:
    COS
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tacoma TRD OR
    Have the black shocks

13. Nov 30, 2016 at 1:22 PM
    AxelsHumanDad

AxelsHumanDad I am Groot

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 CM Platinum
    Some suspension tweaks
    ok, squishy shocks and soft springs. Upgrading to the off road shocks would tighten the ride but I'm not sure about how much firmer it would feel without changing the springs too since I did both at the same time.

Products Discussed in

To Top