1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Review Thread - Pioneer DMH-WT7600NEX / Pioneer DMH-WT8600NEX

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by jlewis44, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Jul 17, 2020 at 12:35 PM
    jlewis44

jlewis44 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro - White
    Westcott TRD Pro Lift | SCS SR8 | BFG KO2 35x12.5r18 | Pioneer DMH-WT7600NEX & Tech 12 Volts - Hertz & JL 10w0's | BAKFlip MX4 | Line X Platinum | NFab steps | HR Interior LEDs
    I'll post updates here as I figure it all out and get the lay of the land BUT this thing is awesome.

I went with the 7600 - 9" because I liked the fit in the Tundra better. The 10.1" is awesome, and bigger is nearly always better, but I didn't like some of the overlap. Not sorry at all as the 9" is plenty. If you prefer 10.1", I totally get it but for me the 9" is perfect.

I was hoping for improvement to the sound quality from the stock head unit but the difference is remarkable. We all know the stock systems suck. My 2017 TRD Pro had the non-JBL and it was so bad I would only listen to podcasts and talk radio in the truck.

@james@tech12volts hooked me up with a system in January (Hertz K170 separates front and back, 2 JL 10w0's powered by a JL Audio RD900/5 amp) and the sound was 200% better. I was shocked that the improvement after replacing the HU was almost as big as the jump from replacing the speakers and adding the subs.

Voices are much clearer. There is more separation in instruments. The sound is 100x more adjustable. My installer was able to get a much better soundstage so the voices seem to come from the center of the dash instead of the A pillars.

James doesn't like Pioneer so I was holding out to see when Sony might update their floating head units to 720p (or better) and add HDMI but I couldn't wait. We'll see how the Pioneer holds up. I paid extra for the 4 year warranty since some guys here and elsewhere have had problems with them dying just after the warranty expires.

More info to follow as I get to play with it more. If anyone has any questions, fire away, I'll be happy to answer....Tundra_Pioneer_Install Pic.jpg

Mike59, RaginTxn, Flytrap50 and 6 others like this.
  2. Jul 17, 2020 at 9:40 PM
    cptblackadder

cptblackadder New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Magnetic Grey Crewmax
    How difficult was the install. Did you connect a maestro too? Really like the looks of these units over the alpine and Kenwood floating screens but man they are expensive. Saving up right now. I've also looked at the Daisata but I just would prefer something that is plug and play out of the box and I don't have to fiddle with and fine tune everything and have a bunch of little annoying issues. The price of the Dasaita is very tempting though. I like the 9 inch screen. Really I think it looks as good as the 10 inch.

3. Jul 17, 2020 at 10:00 PM
    jlewis44

jlewis44 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro - White
    Westcott TRD Pro Lift | SCS SR8 | BFG KO2 35x12.5r18 | Pioneer DMH-WT7600NEX & Tech 12 Volts - Hertz & JL 10w0's | BAKFlip MX4 | Line X Platinum | NFab steps | HR Interior LEDs
    My guy took about 4 hours. Did the maestro, SiriusXM, replaced the 12v outlet in the console with an hdmi/usb combo. Some of that time was tuning the sound. Love it so far. Still learning the features.

Definitely would have loved a pure android head unit but not until a major manufacturer builds one. I don't think that's ever happening with the potential liability issues with all the video apps available for Android.

cptblackadder likes this.
  4. Jul 18, 2020 at 9:55 PM
    SoFarKingFast

SoFarKingFast New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra 1794 Edition
    Bone stock
    How is the boot-up time? Looks great, thanks for the photo and the review.

5. Jul 19, 2020 at 7:52 PM
    MatD13

MatD13 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited Cement Crewmax 4x4
    Been debating between this 9.1” and the 10” for awhile now. Saving $200 for the 9” IMO is worth it and now that you have posted an actual photo inside a Tundra, it looks great, so thanks for that!

Did you buy the unit through crutchfield and if so, what “installation items” did you get along with the unit?

6. Jul 21, 2020 at 9:13 PM
    jlewis44

jlewis44 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro - White
    The boot time is fine. Marginally longer than the OEM unit but not really noticeable. There are a couple boot videos on YT and they are very accurate. I wish there was a way to skip the WARNING every time you start up. If anyone knows how to turn it off so I don't have to press OK every time I get in the truck, that would be worth at least a case of 805.

I bought it at BestBuy....from all of my research a few folks have had durability issues with Pioneer so I wanted a warranty. BestBuy is the best at $59 for 4 years. Here's the list of everything I bought....not everyone had everything I needed so I bought from eBay, BestBuy, Crutchfield and Amazon....for simplicity, if you want to order from one place, just go to Crutchfield as long as everything is in stock. I might have saved $100 ordering from 4 different places.

In case you want to know what a nerd I am, here's the comparison spreadsheet of everything:
    Pioneer WT7600NEX.jpg

ALSO...I went with the Maestro MRR2...it can integrate a radar detector....I'll probably never do it but just in case I run out of $hit to buy....

And FWIW....I debated long and hard over the 7600 and the 8600.....I don't think there is a wrong answer. What I can say is for Nav and Music, there is NO reason why you need the 10.1.....if you like the way it looks OR if you are going to watch video on it, go for the 10.1" 8600....I'm happy with the fit of the 9" 7600 but I can also say I'd be just as happy with the 10.1"....soooo bottom line, if you are $$$ conscious, you sacrifice nothing and save $200 with the 7600....if you want the biggest and don't care about price, do the 8600....they're both awesome. Just get the warranty for peace of mind...

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    MatD13[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Jul 21, 2020 at 9:33 PM
    jlewis44

jlewis44 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro - White
    One comment I will add....Android Auto AND Apple CarPlay send audio over WiFi. From what I can tell 90% of the sound quality improvement from the factory head unit to the Pioneer is due to the increased bandwidth relative to bluetooth. For some reason, I got kicked over to bluetooth in the truck yesterday and it sounds like GARBAGE relative to the audio over WiFi.

I know all the audio snobs say rip your own files in super high quality formats and connect directly to your head unit. I would have previously called BS but apparently they're all correct....

8. Jul 21, 2020 at 9:36 PM
    SoFarKingFast

SoFarKingFast New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra 1794 Edition
    Bone stock
    Are you sure it didn't drop to the telephone audio momentarily? Bluetooth 5.0 shouldn't be low quality.

9. Jul 21, 2020 at 9:38 PM
    jlewis44

jlewis44 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro - White
    AND....I'm really torn on the need for the SiriusXM tuner. You can use the SXM app through AA or CarPlay just as easily...maybe MORE easily.

I live in an area with great cell reception. I think the only time I'm going to need the tuner is for road trips to more far flung regions...

10. Jul 21, 2020 at 9:40 PM
    jlewis44

jlewis44 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro - White
    No. The AA disconnected and the audio from Spotify kept playing through BT. Pixel XL 4 to the HU. There is a night and day difference between the audio quality of BT straight to the head unit and WiFi audio through AA or CarPlay.

11. Jul 21, 2020 at 9:41 PM
    SoFarKingFast

SoFarKingFast New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra 1794 Edition
    Bone stock
    Good to know, I have the Pixel 3 XL.

I'm concerned about the warning requiring an acknowledgment each time annoying me. The Metra dash kids are sold out everywhere, so I have to delay the install.

12. Jul 21, 2020 at 9:45 PM
    jlewis44

jlewis44 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro - White
    Who knows the truth but I read several places that the Scosche dash kits are higher quality....I went with it and it's fine. None of them match perfectly but I have no complaints. If you have a preference, by all means wait, but I couldn't compare in person so I went with what I read and I'm happy (or ignorant and happy, either way I'm not complaining....).

And I did learn by accident today that the warning will go away if you ignore it. I got distracted, didn't click OK, and AA connected and Spotify started at some point...

13. Jul 21, 2020 at 9:59 PM
    SoFarKingFast

SoFarKingFast New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra 1794 Edition
    Bone stock
    Ah, good to know. Will check out the Scoshe. And the warning sounds similar to the stock one then.

jlewis44[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  14. Jul 23, 2020 at 11:05 PM
    SoFarKingFast

SoFarKingFast New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra 1794 Edition
    Bone stock
    Ok guys, got around to this last night, finished it up today. Photos below. I took some video too, but I haven't cut it together. Took about 5 hours total, 3 hours of that looking for the correct manual and/or just learning what was behind the dash.

My initial impressions: Meh. For this much money, I expected perfection.

The bad:
    1. The software is a bit slow on the unit. There is a noticeable delay when doing things, and that bugs me. I've been using wireless Android Auto, mostly in the garage, so I'm going to see how it performs when not connected to my house WiFi and I'm driving and not paying attention to the 5msec of response time.
    2. The software is just bad. I'm a software engineer by education, and it is tough for me to figure it things out. If I'm having a hard time...they really screwed it up! The settings are all over the place and I'm still working my way through them.
    3. The phone app is abysmal (CarAVAssist, look it up in the Play Store/App Store). Buggy, non-intuitive, etc.
    4. The wireless Android Auto/Car Play will not be used. For me this was a selling point, however the good part of this unit is the USB-C port on the back is rated at 3A, so I get fast charging on my Pixel 3 XL with it. The argument I've heard for other wireless setups is to free up the port for fast charging. There is only 1 USB-C port though, so I won't be able to plug in a USB with media on it and my phone, so wireless Android Auto will come in handy then.
    5. No real adjustment of the position available after you get everything tightened due to the inset of the dash kit. Was considering some longer bolts and sleeves to bring it out from the dash a bit and allow some tilt down. This would also avoid some of the glare.
    6. Fingerprints! The joy and curse of capacitive touch I guess. I have a cloth for cleaning it in the console now.

The good:
    1. Sounds good, more adjustment available. Bass is really rockin' with the JBL sub now. I will not be replacing anything for a while. It doesn't turn up SUPER loud, but my hearing sucks enough anyway.
    2. Screen is nice when running the Pioneer display. Android Auto and CarPlay are pretty low-resolution by default; they don't take advantage of that higher resolution screen anyway.
    3. HD radio scanning and auto population is nice.
    4. The browser would be nice...if you didn't have to register the sites you want to go to on the phone app first. The kids and I watched a video at 720p from YouTube after install, looked good.
    5. Though flimsy, the fit and match of the dash kit is nice. If I do replace this unit, it will be pretty easy to swap it into this kit.
    6. OBDII connection is cool to show certain engine parameters. Not all (no oil temp), but MAF flow, intake temp, load (not sure what that is yet), 0-60 time, fuel efficiency, and other items that might be fun to see.
    7. Mini-HDMI input is cool, as well as additional video output capability for back-seat monitor one day.

I'm going to give it a run for a week or two and see if I like it. Right now I'm leaning toward returning it and getting something less expensive that fits my Android Auto requirement (wired) that will save some $$ for other mods. I put an Alpine 650 in my wife's Grand Cherokee two weeks ago, and for $300 that thing is perfectly simple for Android Auto/Car Play/Camera support (also put in a backup camera). With the experience I gained in putting this in, I think a swap out and in of a different unit, including the reprogram of the iDatalink, would be a couple hour job, max.

Details:

Truck: 2019 Tundra 1794 Edition (w/ 12 speaker JBL and amp). This is my first real "mod", has 5200 mi on it.

Purchase list:
    - Bought everything recommended from Crutchfield. They were out of stock on the Metra dash kit, but I got lucky with Best Buy having a Scoshe kit in town.

-- Pioneer DMH-WT7600NEX $995.00
    -- Trim Panel Tools $11.99
    -- RCA Adapter $4.99
    -- Metra 40-LX11 Antenna Adapter $8.10
    -- Scoshe Dash Kit $49.95
    -- Metra AX-TOYUSB Adapter $12.15 **Not used, unit is USB Type-C, and so is my phone
    -- iDatalink Maestro RR Module $121.69
    -- iDatalink HRN-RR-TO2 Factory Integration Adapter $40.56
    -- Parking brake override (Amazon, $10)

Total Approx. $1350 after tax

Install notes:
    - Pretty easy if you have the correct manual from Maestro.
    - Fishing lines through the dash for the mic and the OBDII reader was easy (lots of room back there to poke through a fish).
    - Software was easy to program into the Maestro
    - Only had to combine about 6 wires to the harnesses.
    - Dash adapter is super flimsy and cheap feeling. If this is the nice one...I'd hate to see the other guy. Once installed, no movement, but still a little ginger on the install.

Parts ready for install:

Flashing the iDatalink module

I had an extra garage light when I put them in, so I put it aside as a work light...amazing decision.

First pry-open of a panel in my new truck!

After removal:

GPS antenna position, very easy to get to with the head unit removed. Speaker panel comes off very easy.

Ran the mic under the dash, behind the cluster, through the speaker well, then up the side.

All hooked up. I ran the USB-C cable through one of the 12V ports (took it out), and also left a mini-USB connected to the iDatalink module hanging low so I can plug it into a computer and make adjustments without taking everything out.

Final:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  15. Jul 24, 2020 at 6:08 AM
    blueshound

blueshound New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Red Tundra Platinum
    I'm really wanting carplay for my iPhone and I was hoping this was going to be the solution. I don't think I could handle the UI or the responsiveness. I wonder if the 8600 has the same issues since it's probably just a larger screen on the same software. I'm not opposed to wired Carplay as I'm in the IT industry as well and I always know wired works best, when in doubt plug it in. I do like that without changing the stock speakers that they sound better. Currently with the stock JBL head unit it's pretty terrible. Some songs sound so great until you turn it up then that sub just ruins it. I can't even listen to half my music in the truck because of the sound that it produces.

CaptainGrumpus likes this.
  16. Jul 24, 2020 at 6:25 AM
    akmerle

akmerle New Member

Member:
    Wasilla, AK
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum & 2020 Jeep SRT
    Thank you for the comprehensive post and review!

I have the 8600 and love it. Great combo when used in conjunction with the wireless charging console lid.

UI and responsiveness feels great to me. No,
    it’s not as fast as my iPad Pro or phone. But mine is in wireless CarPlay mode 99% of the time and it works fast in my opinion.

Also have to reinforce how great the deck made my system sound. Had previously done the amp / speakers / sub, and the new head unit made them come ALIVE.

I know folks are not a fan for the price, but there simply isn’t any other option for a name brand wireless CarPlay / premium sound / hd radio / capacitive screen / tablet style head unit. Am sure others will follow, and hope for the folks waiting that they kick ass!

chadleeper likes this.
  17. Jul 24, 2020 at 6:37 AM
    G10dra

G10dra Not a New Member

Member:
    There is a firmware update of the Pioneer head units, I don't know if it will fix the delays but the notice says,
    This firmware update addresses the following items:
    • Android Auto improvements.
    • Minor bug fixes
    Here's the link from the pioneer's website.

18. Jul 24, 2020 at 8:06 AM
    SoFarKingFast

SoFarKingFast New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra 1794 Edition
    Bone stock
    Yes, did that right away.

I did notice CarPlay was a little quicker than Auto on my wife's phone.

I know I am being picky, but maybe I had too high expectations for this price point. Good points on the highlights, it is pretty close to perfect for all those things. I do like the near plug and play of it as well.

Will post again after a couple weeks and see if I change my mind.

19. Jul 27, 2020 at 10:39 AM
    SoFarKingFast

SoFarKingFast New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra 1794 Edition
    Bone stock
  20. Jul 27, 2020 at 4:39 PM
    rareskills

rareskills New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Platinum
    Does this unit support idatalink and a front camera? I tried to read the specs and it looks like it is one or the other, but I'm currently looking for a unit that can handle both so just curious

21. Jul 27, 2020 at 8:02 PM
    SoFarKingFast

SoFarKingFast New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra 1794 Edition
    Bone stock
    Yes to both.

22. Jul 30, 2020 at 12:05 AM
    SoFarKingFast

SoFarKingFast New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra 1794 Edition
    Bone stock
    Welp, uninstalled today, returning everything to Crutchfield. Stock unit is back in.

Going to wait and shop. Eyeing those straight Android tablets, but would have to replace all the JBL stuff, which I don't mind right now.

23. Jul 30, 2020 at 6:36 AM
    akmerle

akmerle New Member

Member:
    Wasilla, AK
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum & 2020 Jeep SRT
    Bummer man, what a PITA.

Is that video you posted of Android Auto? Was the unit similarly laggy when in the Pioneer interface?

After watching your video I went into CarPlay on mine, and did a similar test. Works flawlessly and fast while in CarPlay.

Think maybe it was a phone issue thru Bluetooth? I know my iPhone / iPad operate a bit smoother after hard resets?

24. Jul 30, 2020 at 6:52 AM
    SoFarKingFast

SoFarKingFast New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra 1794 Edition
    Bone stock
    That test was with the phone without Bluetooth or WiFi on, so wired. It did work slightly better with my wife's iPhone XS, but, I use Android, so it was a no-go for me at the $1350 price point.

If it was cheaper I might have been able to put up with it.

akmerle likes this.
  25. Aug 3, 2020 at 3:26 PM
    jlewis44

jlewis44 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro - White
    @SoFarKingFast I don't 100% agree with everything you've said here but I can't say anything is entirely off base either. I use it with my Pixel 4XL. There were some connection issues the first few days but I've just spent 10 days driving 2800 miles across the western US and I'm pretty happy with the unit.

Here is my take....these things are like smart phones about 5-7 years ago. They are awesome and amazing because they are unlike (and better than) anything we've had before. They're also super frustrating because you can see what they should be in another 5 years or so. The bottom line for me is that it looks great and it's great with Spotify, Audible and Google Maps....those are my primary uses (99% of the time).

I wish it was as blazing fast as my phone. I wish Google Assistant was perfect. Those things are coming sooner rather than later but likely in a new head unit in my next truck. My only hesitation in believing we'll get these amazing next gen units is the fact that Alpine/Kenwood/Pioneer are all audio companies, not really consumer electronics companies. The built in UI and software is awful. If I didn't have Auto/Carplay, this unit is a hard no at any price.

I wish you luck with the Android head units but I'm quite positive those are a one way trip to frustration. It's awesome that Android can do anything but small companies in China aren't going to polish that to the level that Apple/Google/Samsung has trained us all to expect. We need a first party Apple/Google/Samsung head unit....no reason one of them can't do this better than Alpine/Kenwood/Pioneer. Probably just not a big enough market for them to go after.

@akmerle I'm with you. I love this thing. It's not perfect, but it's the best of all the flawed options currently available.

zach_attack4 and blueshound like this.
  26. Aug 3, 2020 at 9:51 PM
    SoFarKingFast

SoFarKingFast New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra 1794 Edition
    Bone stock
    I hear that, but I also found myself thinking the same thoughts as I tried to justify the price. I understand the bleeding edge tech, and the risk with other non big brands, but there is a difference between an almost-there unit at $250 and a not-all-the-way-there unit at $1350.

An $1100 difference.

Glad you were able to come to terms though! I was almost there...but now finding myself moderately happy with the stock unit and Bluetooth. :)

I have also determined that replacing everything in the JBL system all at once is the best non-comprimised solution, and I would be willing to drop near the same money for an entire system, vs a moderately operational, yet pretty, head unit.

jlewis44[OP] likes this.
  27. Aug 21, 2020 at 1:10 PM
    peteullo

peteullo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro - Black
    Do you guys know if removing the aftermarket headunit affects all the Toyota Services like Remote Connect, etc?

28. Aug 25, 2020 at 8:32 AM
    YardBird

YardBird Native San Diegan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonesy
    Vehicle:
    2005 RCLB
    American Thunder Cat Back ~ Retrax Pro ~ Toyota Bed Mat ~ OEM Split Spoke Wheels
    full_1d66686a344d009ec2954b6a5831311fe8c84ed5.jpg
    Welcome aboard from The PSW.

29. May 11, 2021 at 8:24 PM
    phiredrop

phiredrop New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM Tundra Platinum
    Installing the 7600 and confused about the RCA wires.. I have the JBL system. Should these be empty?

60D5D09E-75B8-467E-9D80-FD2D195FD0DC.jpg

30. May 12, 2021 at 12:44 PM
    phiredrop

phiredrop New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM Tundra Platinum
    Turns out no! Called Crutchfield and they said the JBL system only accepts two inputs, so the proper connection is to use the Front Speakers with the grey/white wires (in case anyone comes across this thread in the future!)

glaster and panicman like this.
To Top