1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Retirement vehicle

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ColoradoTJ, Jun 26, 2022.

1. Jun 26, 2022 at 10:27 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ [OP] Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    What are your plans for a retirement vehicle/fun toy to yourself for all those hard years of labor?

Updated vehicles:

2016-Cadillac-CTS-V.jpg Valley-Chev-Header-Image-1280x530-21-corvette.jpg zr1.jpg
    IMG_3117.jpg
    The old iron is probably out.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2023
  2. Jun 26, 2022 at 10:29 PM
    Tripleconpanna

Tripleconpanna Just an X who bought Bud Light from Target

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD PRO CM; 2008 SR5 CM
    It was upgrading from my '08 SR5 to my '21 Pro :cool:

3. Jun 26, 2022 at 10:32 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Did you have travel plans or buy this specifically for something? Not a bad choice, just wondering.

gosolo likes this.
  4. Jun 26, 2022 at 11:01 PM
    Booney

Booney New Member

Member:
    Northern Colorado Mountains
    Vehicle:
    Smoked Mesquite 2021 1794 Off Road TRD
    I went to get out of my F250 one day and the door handle broke. This was after I put in a whole new double din sound system and speakers, rebuilt the whole front end, to include springs, chipped it and did some other mods. I just got tired of working on it just to keep it working. I bought my Tundra the next week. We plan on taking road trips probably starting next summer. If everything works out we might even be able to squeeze one in this fall.

I still have the F250.

5. Jun 26, 2022 at 11:16 PM
    Vallejo206

Vallejo206 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5 V6 AWD
    It’s a ways away but always wanted a 1965 Impala for the garage. Hopefully I’ll have time in the future to make it mine.
    Grand national would be a cool too.

pvmike, Luckydog, gosolo and 6 others like this.
  6. Jun 26, 2022 at 11:18 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Hopefully by this fall fuel prices will drop a bit. We just returned from a 4300 mile trip...not cheap.

7. Jun 26, 2022 at 11:21 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Ha! I was just looking at classic cars as an option. One of my favorites is a 1967 Chevy Chevelle. I would really like to find one in good condition without a motor and transmission. That way I wouldn't feel so bad about doing a LS/6 speed auto transmission in it to actually make it "quicker" and more reliable.

Black@Blue19, gosolo, WILLINH and 3 others like this.
  8. Jun 26, 2022 at 11:29 PM
    Vallejo206

Vallejo206 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5 V6 AWD

Yeah I’m constantly on the lookout for somewhat of a solid car. Something that isn’t completely done, so I can make it my own.

just window shopping right now, and the foreseeable future :rolleyes:

9. Jun 26, 2022 at 11:32 PM
    OhEmmBee

OhEmmBee Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    18' Toyota Tundra MGM Crewmax (Saibot)
    Toyota Tundra Pro Grill Lace On Steering Wheel Cover Garmin Tandem and Mini Dash Cam. Center Console Safe Compustar Remote Start with DM ESP Rear under storage VLED Front & Rear foot well LED Lights Sound Deadened Cab Toytec Boss Alumna lift at 2 inches C4 Hybrid Front Bumper with four sets of Baja Designs. AlphaRex Novas Valhalla's Skid Plates Switch Pro-9100 SPC Upper Control Arms 35" tires on RRW Agressive BMC/CMC to fit larger tires. Minor bumper and fender liner trimming.
    Land Cruiser. Something classy but can still wheeling and go off-roading! Was looking at Prados to get a head start and LS swap it.

10. Jun 26, 2022 at 11:46 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are food, not friends!

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    ‘08 TRD doublecab
    Well, I just wrote the test and got my class 6 motorcycle license, and am learning to ride the ‘82 Yamaha XJ1100 I was recently given. So it might have 2 wheels, not four in my case.

But who knows. By the time I can retire, a mountain bike or shopping cart are more likely.

coldcanuk, gosolo, Outbound and 8 others like this.
  11. Jun 27, 2022 at 1:06 AM
    Tripleconpanna

Tripleconpanna Just an X who bought Bud Light from Target

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD PRO CM; 2008 SR5 CM
    We retired (maybe a little early ;), as I'm finding myself struggling at times to find 'meaningful' purpose) and moved from Vegas to the Oregon Coast. I promised my wife once we retired we could live on the coast. California (San Diego area) is a bit too expensive and California is a bit messed up, so we ended up deciding on the Central Oregon Coast.

I have (4) very high drive pups one w/less than a year left and the other two about 2-3 years max; plus my wife's female pup. One of the reasons for retiring was to spend more time w/the pups while they are still around. So, as of now, our main goals are to keep everyone active and healthy as long as possible and to explore the Oregon Coast.

My '08 was getting up there in mileage (I've had it since it was new), but I was holding out for the release of the Gen 3s. The first official release of info on the Gen 3 had me a little 'ehhh', and as time went on my opinion of them got a bit worse. I decided the Gen 3 wasn't for me. However, I was looking for better gas mileage and decided to order a Ford Tremor (Oct 21). While waiting for the Tremor, I found myself regretting not picking up a '21 Pro when they were at the beginning of the model year (but at the time I had high hopes for the Gen 3s), and by then pricing was high w/everyone taking on ADMs and limited availability. I guess in the back of my mind, I really trusted the reliability and familiarity of my Gen Tundra and really just wanted the same thing but newer (and maybe a bit more capable).

Ultimately, I found myself constantly searching for new '21 Pros for the rest of Oct and the first of Nov, and just happened upon a dealer (on the other side of the country) that had a black (my first choice in color) '21 Pro in their showroom. Surprisingly unreserved and without ADM! I secured the vehicle w/CC and then arranged the transport (took a freakin' month to get it here though). Even w/transport fees, I was still a few thousand cheaper than anywhere in the state.

Sorry that got a little too wordy... Anyhow, more back to your question... I still have my '08, which I use for all my dog stuff, and I will keep it for that purpose until it craps out on me. However, my '21 Pro is mainly my 'play' truck and for us to explore the coast and trails throughout Oregon. So far, the Pro has not been a disappoint in any way (well maybe gas still). We have a ton of dirt and gravel trails, access roads, etc. in the area, and the Pro is perfect for that. It's actually much smoother off road than my '08 was, which keeps the wife happy; and it has heated seats so that's another plus over the '08!!! Also, it's just fun sometimes to jump into a throaty sounding V8 and to go do something w/o any real purpose.

With all of our dogs (and the backgrounds of a few), I can't just leave them at boarding or w/a friend or some other family member while we travel. So, for now, most of our exploring and running around is all day trips. But, once the 3 oldest pass, our goal is to get back on the road more and do some deeper exploring of familiar and unfamiliar places!

Hopefully that makes sense!!!

12. Jun 27, 2022 at 1:26 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    I'm all over the place on what to do or what I want. Guess it all depends on where we end up for retirement or keep two residencies.

Now depending on if I keep the crawler, my need for off-road can be satisfied. Only thing that sucks about that is...trailer queen and it has limitations (dirt use only). This is if we stay in Colorado or someplace with some decent off-road.

Options:
    -I like the 70 series imported land cruisers. Depending on what diesel motor you have, might be a good option for leaving alone. This specific one is 36K dollars right now in Denver.
    LC.jpg
    -JL Jeep with the 4 cylinder turbo. Pretty impressive jeeps, but them it is also a jeep.

These would be more of a explore type rig. Nothing really crazy that a set of 35" tires and a winch wouldn't handle.

Cars:

-I do like classics, but for the vehicle I want they start at 45K and go up from there. For a 58 year old vehicle...I may have missed my window of opportunity.

-One car I have always wanted and satisfies that need for some fun is a Lexus IS F. This can also be a decent travel car with 4 doors and can get these cars knocking on 500 reliable HP pretty easy. These cars from 25-48K miles are 40-60K dollars. Kinda pricey still, but good performance isn't cheap.

IS F.jpg

Speaking of performance that isn't cheap....that brings me to another vehicle.

Corvette. I had a C6 Grand Sport Corvette and kinda miss it. However, I would like a little more "kick." I have always really liked the C6 body style (2006-2013). The Z-06 is a really fun car, but a few expensive things that need to be done before any serious driving happens. The exhaust valve issue on the LS7 motor is a little expensive to fix, but an all motor 427 is pretty impressive. Once this is repaired hold on. Then I started looking into another Corvette. Why should I spend a buttload of money and then have to tear down the motor? The 6.2L motors are rather reliable...so why not an LS9?

Might be a tough decision.

zr1.jpg z06.jpg

On our recent trip to TN, we seen more C8 Corvettes than I care to admit. My wife really likes those generation of corvettes. She would rather have one of those.

Valley-Chev-Header-Image-1280x530-21-corvette.jpg

-GR Supra. Due to the overwhelming ability for this forum to spend my money I’m going to add this vehicle to the mix.
    1EDE4267-56E1-414F-9CCF-CD1424B76300.jpg

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
  13. Jun 27, 2022 at 2:51 AM
    daveeasa

daveeasa FBC Harness Solutions

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 RCLB 4x4, 2005 RC 5MT Prerunner, 2016 Tacoma OR DCSB 6MT
    My best buddy from college has a vette and a pair of bmw’s plus a Benz convertible. No trucks though and no rice rockets. Seeing his garage in person got me back into the game on toys. I spent 8 years in family startup mode when you can’t do anything or go anywhere. Just starting to come out of that phase.

I could see an M5 as a retirement vehicle. Or a 911. But nothing about my past gives me any indication I have the balls to own such fine machinery. All my motorcycles were Honda and I’ve never purchased any vehicle over 30k. And with EV’s surging, it seems premature to speculate on my future driving behavior. If a $30k future EV is more fun to drive than a 911 and way less to maintain, it’s tough to pony up for the classic.

My retirement dream is to move back to Oahu where I grew up. Less is more on the rock. So probably ebike to get around or maybe soup up the ‘04 RAV4 at my dad’s place. It’s still shy of 100k and probably good for 2-3x that since he bought it new and takes care of it. Maybe we see compact ev pickups by then. I hope so.

My direct future plan is the ‘02 Tundra, hence all the work to it. I’d like it to outlive me, as it has some great memories from my 20’s even though it spent a decade owned by my friend. On the one hand I have dozens of things to do to it, but none of them are massive once the rear suspension is done. Lots of lighting, front camera, compressor, Switch-Pros, winch & front bumper, all 3 mirrors, stereo v2, blackout badging and fenders. I’ll stretch it out over a few years I think. Hoping to dive in more once the kids start driving but there is only so much one can do to a simple truck so I’m likely to run out of mods eventually. I went with 4.56 and an LSD rear so I don’t see the platform getting too serious, and I don’t think I want to be too far away from civilization anyway.

I’m not sure how capable it will be once done, but I’ve camped in it before and the 8’ bed is plenty big. It has some leaks on the windoor seals right now, though, which I probably need to deal with before going anywhere serious and the front boot leaves a bit to be desired as far as the seal goes. Plus the tailgate has some significant gaps. So kind of a fair weather option now, unless or until I attempt to solve for that.

I tinker with the notion of a complete bed replacement down the road, though that would detract from some of the appeal as a semi stealth vehicle that I have right now. I’ll see how the initial revamp shakes out before I decide where it ends up. It could be super fun to design my own camper and there is some nice utility with a flatbed base and easy on/off camper. But the bed + shell setup is just great for dogs and gear for now.

For some odd reason, I just really love regular cab pickups. It doesn’t make any sense. And there is something just plain awesome about an old v8 that I don’t get from either Tacoma.

Taco-Spike and ColoradoTJ[OP] like this.
  14. Jun 27, 2022 at 4:29 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
  15. Jun 27, 2022 at 4:37 AM
    Retired...finally

Retired...finally Utilizing that doctorate of procrastinatory arts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 Barcelona Red SR5 Crewmax
    Custom bug spat pattern hood, grill & bumper. Dead Live Oak leaf collection under hood, cowl and lower fenders. Beach sand custom floor covering.
    I think I found the best set of wheels for me.6f06034a-0bac-40c6-89d7-5b53dbe1a3ae.083af883394156b0c88d3455e6828e61.jpeg.jpg

16. Jun 27, 2022 at 4:39 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    War Machine[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Jun 27, 2022 at 4:40 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Cannot “like”

18. Jun 27, 2022 at 5:09 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Barely over a thousand miles on it. My wife’s first ride was a 74 Celica. She got it in 92, and drove it until 2000. Her dad had four of them and sold them for pretty much nothing about 20 years ago. Never occurred to him they’d have any value down the road.

19. Jun 27, 2022 at 5:35 AM
    Retired...finally

Retired...finally Utilizing that doctorate of procrastinatory arts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 Barcelona Red SR5 Crewmax
    Custom bug spat pattern hood, grill & bumper. Dead Live Oak leaf collection under hood, cowl and lower fenders. Beach sand custom floor covering.
    I'm actually pretty good health. 6'0", 210 # and no prescription RX. Normal aches after strenuous activity but my reflexes aren't what they were 40 yrs ago. I bought the Abarth new in 2017 with hopes of auto xing again but couldn't find an Over the Hill class to race in.20220417_125457.jpg

20. Jun 27, 2022 at 5:48 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Now that’s something I can like!!!

21. Jun 27, 2022 at 5:53 AM
    Taco-Spike

Taco-Spike Gateway from Tacoma World ~ ended up here

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB / 17 Tundra 5.7L 4X4 CM
    Two Trucks
    Way too soon to think about. I still have 25/30 years :(

probably a two person personal helicopter? I have some time to get my license for that.

22. Jun 27, 2022 at 6:06 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Start planning now…trust me.

23. Jun 27, 2022 at 6:28 AM
    MadMaxCanon

MadMaxCanon New Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '21 CM SR5 4x4 6 seater
    Too many, but not enough....
    You should always start planning for retirement yesterday. The retirement age will probably surpass average life expectancy by the time i get there in about 30 years :angrygirl:

24. Jun 27, 2022 at 7:21 AM
    YardBird

YardBird Native San Diegan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonesy
    Vehicle:
    2005 RCLB
    American Thunder Cat Back ~ Retrax Pro ~ Toyota Bed Mat ~ OEM Split Spoke Wheels
    100_0678 (2).jpg

I bought this rig out of the Auto Trader some time ago right after I retired. The price was right and I needed something to transport things from the Big Box Store to the apartments we were running.
    It's the nicest vehicle I've ever owned.

Lifer, THOR's, 2mchfun and 12 others like this.
  25. Jun 27, 2022 at 7:26 AM
    Taco-Spike

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Two Trucks
    I've heard retired people talk about a fixed income, but trying to save a few bucks going to an animal clinic instead of an MD Dr. for an annual physical just doesn't seem right? :rofl:

JOKING.

I would do it too

26. Jun 27, 2022 at 7:34 AM
    Melikeymy beer

Melikeymy beer No cooler for you!

Member:
    Muscogee Nation
    Vehicle:
    2019 Platypus Tundra
    I'm retired six years and would love to get a hobby car but only have a two car garage so it's just the wife's car and my truck to pull the camper.

I have always dreamed about a 57' Chevy 2 door no post. I had a buddy in high school that had a beautiful metal flake blue one with a 327, Hurst 4 speed and Holly 4 bbl carb. Unfortunately he rolled it and totaled it when we were going to a swimming hole and he parted it out. He still has a '57 2 door Nomad.

Sometimes I think about getting one and finding storage for it somewhere close to home.

27. Jun 27, 2022 at 7:46 AM
    WILLINH

WILLINH New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BILL
    NEW HAMPTON, NH
    2019 TUNDRA
    I like the 67 Chevelle and the 67 GTO. I had 2 67 GTO'S growing up, loved them and the 67 Chevelle's. I also like the Lexus ES350.

GNTundra, Y0TA PR0, Patch999 and 4 others like this.
  28. Jun 27, 2022 at 7:59 AM
    YardBird

YardBird Native San Diegan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonesy
    Vehicle:
    2005 RCLB
    American Thunder Cat Back ~ Retrax Pro ~ Toyota Bed Mat ~ OEM Split Spoke Wheels
    Hey, I didn't retire from a Government job ~ I have to cut every corner possible. The resident vet at the ACF and I have a very special relationship. :)

29. Jun 27, 2022 at 8:03 AM
    Taco-Spike

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Two Trucks
    :rofl:Do what you gotta do

30. Jun 27, 2022 at 8:11 AM
    Outbound

Outbound SSEM #2.5, Token AmeriCanadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2022 CrewMax TRD Off Road, MGM of course.
    I'm 25 - 30 years from retirement. I wouldn't be surprised if gas or diesel powered vehicles are illegal by then. If I were near retirement right now and had the coin, a 80 series Landcruiser built by Icon with the Corvette motor in it would be sweet.

Products Discussed in

To Top