1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Residential Generator Needed

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Navi, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Sep 2, 2020 at 7:11 PM
    JackwagonJim

JackwagonJim New Member

Member:
    Purlear, NC
    Get an interlock.

If you are capable of running some wire, hooking up a plug on the side if your house, and adding a breaker to your panel you can install it yourself... that said, I hired an electrician who charged me like 300 bucks. In hindsight, I could have done it myself easily.

I have a troybilt 6250watt genny, and Itll run the stuff I need..basically I can do my entire panel, sans heat pump and stove (on a different panel), but the kitchen and everything else are no problem. We also have a wine fridge running too.. i can run the dryer or water heater but not both at the same time. I do need to better balance the panel too..move some breakers around to better balance the load on each leg in the panel. Just havent done it yet.

Btw, if you run it on gas, treat it with stabil or seafoam green or whatever you prefer..i use stabil. And run the carb dry too. I have about half a tank if two year old treated gas in mine and it runs no prob on first pull..i periodically run it for 10 to 15 every few months to get some run time on it and make sure its ready to roll. Only used it 1x this year thus far for a few hrs, but have gotten prolly 36hrs of real use on it since ive owned it.

Navi[OP] likes this.
  2. Sep 2, 2020 at 7:15 PM
    Navi

Navi [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 CrewMax Limited

300 isn't bad at all. i'll prolly get someone licensed to install the Interlock. never heard of that device but looks real clever.

where do you keep your genny when not in use? garage or outside with a cover?

3. Sep 2, 2020 at 7:24 PM
    rockmup

rockmup New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Greenwell Springs LA.
    Vehicle:
    2019 1794
    Kings, 5:29's, E-lockers on 37's

OP, if you want I'll delete this and start another thread.

Pretty self explanatory how it all goes together, the fitting on the fuel cap listed acually gets moved to the underside of the cap and is the connection for the pickup hose

2 ea of these; https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MT95B4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001O0DEN0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 ea of the following
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MT94OM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XXPGRC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    MAKE SURE you get the cap that fits your unit, https://www.ebay.com/itm/Generator-...num-For-Yamaha-EF2000is-EF1000is/373072914168
    https://smile.amazon.com/LDR-Indust...9099674&sprefix=3/8"+fuel+line,aps,190&sr=8-3

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Hondoman[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Sep 2, 2020 at 7:25 PM
    JackwagonJim

JackwagonJim New Member

Member:
    Purlear, NC
    In the garage for now. My plug is closer to the other side of the house near my shop, so my plan is to move it there so I dont have to wheel it over as far, plus if I needed to bring it out in the snow, thatd be a pita from the garage...shop has double doors and is under the deck so I have some cover. :)

My electrician wasnt too familiar with them, but its super easy. I had some other questions for him too so it was worth it to me to have him run it.

Navi[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  5. Sep 2, 2020 at 7:34 PM
    Navi

Navi [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 CrewMax Limited
    Nah... all good

6. Sep 2, 2020 at 7:37 PM
    Navi

Navi [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 CrewMax Limited
    Was hoping you would say garage because i’ve got a carport so that’s where it will have to live. i’ll get a cover too at some point. just don’t have a lot of room

7. Sep 2, 2020 at 8:04 PM
    Toyotoholic

Toyotoholic -4Life-

Member:
    First Name:
    Jmz
    Vehicle:
    17' MGM
    Pro suspension, sways
    I actually keep mine in the basement storage room, humidity controlled, the thing still looks new. If you keep it outside, put a Kryptonite lock on it. Just keep it dry (no gas in carb or tank) and covered and you'll be fine. If you can squeeze it into a garage, that would be better.

Navi[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  8. Sep 3, 2020 at 2:58 AM
    snomoman

snomoman New Member

Member:
    North Aurora, IL
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement SR5 4WD Tundra
    Bed liner, truxedo tonneau cover, Westin step rails, cover king seat covers
    When we would get a driving rain here in the Chicagoland suburbs my moms basement would always flood when the power went off, I tried lots of different things battery back up sump pumps with the 12 V systems, finally bought a 10 K Generac, it came with its own circuit panel and transfer switch, this was in 2007 and I think the price was around $2700, we had to supply a natural gas line to it and my cousin who is an electrician who installed these things before did help with the electrical, the nice thing about it is when you lose power, within 10 seconds this thing fires up and you have power, one time this thing ran for 36 straight hours, total piece of mind for the price and no more calls from mom at 2 am that her basement was flooding

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    Navi[OP] likes this.
  9. Sep 3, 2020 at 6:26 PM
    Wsteven

Wsteven New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 White SR5 Single Cab
    OK I really don't talk too much about what I have for Setups because the way I went does have lost of Money risk if you are not Familiar with Electrical Equipment and Mechanical.
    What I have is an Older Dayton 10KW Stand by Generator that runs Natural gas giving 9 KW or Liquid Propane at 10 KW No Gasoline that I found used on Local Classified adds took my volt meter and some High Amp draw Electrical Motors and a heat gun to test.

Installed it in a Utility Shed I have that lucky for me is very close to where the main power panel is located,

At first had transfer switch however now on Interlock (transfer switch require PM where Interlock just turn it on / off a few times a year) Also Have Solar system installed however I'm not doing battery system for that. I can run the entire house OK because I have both low and medium Voltage. had Everything inspected and certified when I was done installing

Down side of all this it took me nearly 2 years to get everything to the current state it is now.

There are Good low hour used Generac units out there for good price because people buy em thinking they are Magic bullets and they are Not.

Navi[OP] likes this.
  10. Sep 4, 2020 at 4:50 AM
    snomoman

snomoman New Member

Member:
    North Aurora, IL
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement SR5 4WD Tundra
    Bed liner, truxedo tonneau cover, Westin step rails, cover king seat covers
    Here is the picture of the system that we installed, it is a Generac guardian series, comes prewired with transfer switch and circuit panel as shown, it literally took us an afternoon to install, pretty much runs everything in the house except the air conditioning, a bigger unit would of been required to run air conditioning, it has been working for 13 years and it definitely was the best thing that could be done to have standby power, if people think these are magic bullets or whatever and they don’t meet their expectations I would have to think they don’t know what they’re doing, or can’t figure out how to install it

AC1DDA1D-FEAD-4BCE-9E77-2885DA595E8F.jpg

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    Wsteven, Navi[OP] and NewImprovedRon like this.
  11. Sep 4, 2020 at 5:04 AM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    Don’t forget, you cant just look at watts. Have to consider amps too. A 30A plug can only handle 3600W. I got a dual fuel 50A 12000W generator. It’s overkill, but I wanted the dual fuel and 50A. As other said, make sure it doesn’t back feed through the wires or you could electrocute a power line worked.

12. Sep 4, 2020 at 6:10 AM
    Kung

Kung Dead sexy

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 CM 4WD, TRD Off-Road, Voodoo Blue
    Spiffy console tray Spiffy N-Fab steps Spiffy Katzkin seats
    This. I mean, yes, backfeeding can be done, and you can do it 'safely' (flipping off ALL breakers, isolating from power source), but I mean, for $300 or so you can have an interlock installed that does the same thing with one shot *AND* it's been installed and verified by a licensed electrician. I've known more than one electrician who've been blown off a power pole because some dumb@$$ tried to backfeed.

Navi[OP] and dittothat[QUOTED] like this.
  13. Sep 4, 2020 at 10:29 AM
    Navi

Navi [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 CrewMax Limited
    I've been that guy before so ready to put a stop to that. Get my list narrow down, will be buying in next week or so. Trying to decide b/t Firman and Champion for my budget. I'm leaning Champion b/c it's made in USA

14. Sep 4, 2020 at 10:29 AM
    Navi

Navi [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 CrewMax Limited
    This is sweet. I'd love to have this but over budget for me right now. Also, we have a small house so think 7,500W will really almost run my house from what i can tell

15. Sep 4, 2020 at 4:51 PM
    Wsteven

Wsteven New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    That is exactly what I was going to get but then someone I know told me about the 10KW Dayton (made by Generac) that I could get for $500 so yeah I went after it and 9 years latter it still performs well.

Navi[OP] likes this.
  16. Sep 5, 2020 at 5:35 PM
    Wsteven

Wsteven New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Just a little more information to consider...
    an electric clothes dryer uses on average 4400 watts
    …a refrigerator can use upwards of 700 watts
    …a dishwasher can use 3600 watts
    …a laptop computer uses 40 watts when plugged in
    …a 42″ LCD television uses nearly 236 watts
    …a coffee maker uses 900 peak watts

Navi[OP] likes this.
  17. Sep 5, 2020 at 5:47 PM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    Talking with my neighbor who's an electrical engineer, he says an inverter is essential for electronics. When you think about it, everything, dishwasher, fridge, washer, dryer even the coffee maker has electronics in them these days.

Navi[QUOTED][OP] and rockmup like this.
  18. Sep 5, 2020 at 5:50 PM
    purplenova

purplenova Not a new member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax SR5
    Pillar Tape, Bullet Liner, 20% Tint, Tyger Star Armor Kenwood amp & AudioControl LC7i Tech12volts JL Tweeters
    Was just at Lowe's and they had one on display

19. Sep 5, 2020 at 6:19 PM
    rockmup

rockmup New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Greenwell Springs LA.
    Vehicle:
    2019 1794
    Kings, 5:29's, E-lockers on 37's
    Last I checked they were assembled china

20. Sep 5, 2020 at 6:26 PM
    Navi

Navi [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 CrewMax Limited
    Hmm. Maybe it's just "U.S. ENGINEERING" and everything else china.

rockmup[QUOTED] likes this.
To Top