1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Replacement key?

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by PenderBen, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Jun 18, 2019 at 12:52 PM
    PenderBen

PenderBen [OP] Forum lurker…

Member:
    Gulf Islands, BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tundra AC 4x4
    Hello everyone.

New 2003 1st gen Tundra owner here ( https://www.tundras.com/threads/new-to-me-‘03-ac.47991/ ).

I only got one key with my truck, and one key fob (which has a broken holder, but still works).

I would like to get a couple of extra keys and possibly a new fob, but I’m a bit confused about which key blank fits. Since they’re just back ups I don’t really want to go to the dealer and pay dealer prices, so I’ve been looking online.
    My key is not chipped.
    If my research is correct I need part number 90999-00185, but there don’t appear to be any aftermarket options available, whereas part number TOY44D-PT (a chipped key) is readily available from the aftermarket and cheap. The actual key part appears the same (of course that’s hard to tell for sure from pics) and they are listed as working for some years of Tundra.

Does anyone know if they are cross compatible? Any advice? I did check at Canadian Tire and they do not have the blank I need, I may check Napa next.

Thanks

2. Jun 18, 2019 at 1:09 PM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    My truck only had 1 key when I bought it. Part of the deal required them to get me a 2nd key. They paid a mobile service to come to my work and make a 2nd key. I don't know if that's an option in Canada but I don't think you would have to go to the dealer to get a spare key made.

3. Jun 18, 2019 at 1:38 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    I went straight to the stealership and had 3 made. They have the exact blanks made from strong metal. Make sure you test each key at all holes regardless of who makes them for you, as the cams inside each entry are worn differently from years of use.

Per your Fob: Plenty of aftermarket options online that look identical that can be purchased in pairs for about $15USD. You simply swap in the internals from broken into new Fob. Did both of mine last year.

4. Jun 18, 2019 at 2:04 PM
    PenderBen

PenderBen [OP] Forum lurker…

Member:
    Gulf Islands, BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tundra AC 4x4
    Thanks for the advice, the dealer may be my best choice, I’m on a small island, so the mobile option (if there is one in the area) wouldn’t work.
    Good advice on the fob too, I hadn’t thought to just swap the oem parts, that would be simple.

Ben

5. Jun 18, 2019 at 2:28 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    Sweet. I understand about small island living. I live on St. Barts (AKA Fantasy Island).

Black Wolf likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top