1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Removing water spots.

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by bobeast, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Jul 31, 2016 at 3:23 PM
    bobeast

bobeast [OP] really old member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Hollister, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC
    - Bull Bar, - HID Bunny Burners - AMP retractable running boards, - Headlight leveling retrofit - P1 Brake Controller - 60% rear seat delete - relocation of Sub to rear wall. - 3/1 leveling kit - Firestone Air bags - on-board compressor with auto-leveling, - Dual Undercover Swing Boxes. - P285/65/R20 (34.6") BFG TA KO2's - TRD Front skid plate - Pop & Lock Tailgate lock (soon) - Remote Tailgate mod (soon) - LED Headlights (soon) - Nav Bypass - iPhone integration - Serius/XM retrofit
    So this was my first wash after my repaint. Water hereabouts is terrible and I ended up with nasty water spots. Knowing I needed to remove those before the first coat of wax, I looked in the Meguiars forum to get their advice. I mean they are the experts are they not?

Their solution calls for a complete clay-bar using a Meguiars clay-bar kit, followed up with a paint cleaner made by Meguiars, followed by a lot of elbow grease and a buffing pad by, you guessed it, Meguiars.

I guess the old adage is true, If the only tool you have is a hammer, then every problem starts looking a lot like a nail.

I shoulda known better. I'm always telling the wife unit, to never go to a commercial web-site to get advice on the best product to use...

I poked around elsewhere, the "solution" turns out to be nothing more than 2 parts water to 1 part White vinegar. Spray it on and just wipe off the water-spots, done. Bonus points, in that you can use whatever is left over to clean your windows.

RowdyRon likes this.
  2. Jul 31, 2016 at 6:34 PM
    Law323

Law323 Pray for peace, prepare for war

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    3" Rough Country Level lift (front) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae Upcoming: LED backup lights/cargo lights OEM Backup camera Raceline Raptor? 18x9 wheels ICI magnum step bars TRD sway bar Toytec BOSS 3" suspension lift Trifold or roll up tonneau cover Tow mirrors????
    I can attest to the water/vinegar trick. That's what I use on my Windows and mirrors. After, I use rain-X (doesn't solve the water spots reappearing but does help some)

Been thinking of using actual car wax in place of the rain X though.

3. Jul 31, 2016 at 6:52 PM
    bobeast

bobeast [OP] really old member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Hollister, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC
    - Bull Bar, - HID Bunny Burners - AMP retractable running boards, - Headlight leveling retrofit - P1 Brake Controller - 60% rear seat delete - relocation of Sub to rear wall. - 3/1 leveling kit - Firestone Air bags - on-board compressor with auto-leveling, - Dual Undercover Swing Boxes. - P285/65/R20 (34.6") BFG TA KO2's - TRD Front skid plate - Pop & Lock Tailgate lock (soon) - Remote Tailgate mod (soon) - LED Headlights (soon) - Nav Bypass - iPhone integration - Serius/XM retrofit
    Wax the windows? Hadn't thought of that. Seems logical that it would work though. I'll have to try it.

Law323 likes this.
  4. Jul 31, 2016 at 7:23 PM
    Law323

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    3" Rough Country Level lift (front) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae Upcoming: LED backup lights/cargo lights OEM Backup camera Raceline Raptor? 18x9 wheels ICI magnum step bars TRD sway bar Toytec BOSS 3" suspension lift Trifold or roll up tonneau cover Tow mirrors????
    Not sure if it would work or if a good idea. Would have to do some reading up on it, but I did read about that not too long ago
    But it does seem logical and a damn good idea.

RowdyRon likes this.
  5. Jul 31, 2016 at 7:39 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded Wait, what?

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    2011 RCSB 5.7L AWD Tundra
    OEM Upgrades
    Streaks, especially at night. Tried it on the passenger side one time.

6. Jul 31, 2016 at 8:16 PM
    Law323

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    You're probably didn't buff it enough. That would leave streaks.

7. Jul 31, 2016 at 8:33 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded Wait, what?

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    2011 RCSB 5.7L AWD Tundra
    OEM Upgrades
    I'm lazy that way. :(

Law323 likes this.
  8. Aug 1, 2016 at 6:13 AM
    Law323

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    I'm lazy when it gets to getting up for my job. We all have our problems LOL

9. Aug 1, 2016 at 8:47 AM
    WarEagleSteve

WarEagleSteve Getting out of Jersey!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    N.J.
    Vehicle:
    2015 White Tundra Crew Max SR5/Off Road
    Hi Bob,

Problem with the water spots is that you need to get them of asap. Now, I realize this might not be feasible.
    There are times, not saying always, that the minerals in the water bake on to your finish and "could" damage the clear coat over time.

As you found, and as Law attested to, the vinegar mix is a good start and will hopefully help you.

If after you give it a shot and it doesn't work, gently draw your finger tip over the area. There is a small chance it could put your clear coat. Unfortunately, the environment around you plays a big part along with water quality.

Here is a suggestion for Water spot removal if the vinegar mix does not work...

http://www.carpro-us.com/paint-decontamination/carpro-spotless-water-spot-remover-500ml-16-oz/

Easyto use but, as always, READ the directions...:thumbsup:

And one more that I use on glass too, including windshields...
    http://www.detailedimage.com/Klasse-M6/All-In-One-AIO-P54/500-ml-S1/

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    Law323 likes this.
  10. Aug 1, 2016 at 10:43 AM
    RowdyRon

RowdyRon Not too old to play

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2015 Radiant Red TSS Doublecab 4X4 Off Road
    Deck rail system, Bed divider, door sill protectors, LED reverse light bars, Aries Bull Bar with 28" 180 watt LED light bar, LED step lights, LED bed lights, driver-side grab handle, TRD Rear Sway Bar, BedRug bed mat and tailgate mat, Morimoto Fog Lights, more to come.....
    I use Mother's spray detail wax on my glass and it does a nice job when used with a microfiber towel.

Law323 likes this.
  11. Aug 1, 2016 at 10:51 AM
    Law323

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    I've been reading up on both spray and paste wax. Hopefully I'll be able to really clean my truck and my wife's car soon. No go right now with packing and moving.

12. Aug 1, 2016 at 12:55 PM
    RowdyRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    Deck rail system, Bed divider, door sill protectors, LED reverse light bars, Aries Bull Bar with 28" 180 watt LED light bar, LED step lights, LED bed lights, driver-side grab handle, TRD Rear Sway Bar, BedRug bed mat and tailgate mat, Morimoto Fog Lights, more to come.....
    When are you guys moving, Law?

13. Aug 1, 2016 at 1:12 PM
    Law323

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Making two trips. First, the big stuff and some boxes this weekend then come back to BR, clean up and fix the house up (I'm the kind of guy that HAS to leave things better than when I first came in) then moving the boxes and other small stuff up all while the wife gets into "nest mode" LOL
    Reminds me, I need to run to HD and get me some nails, screws, drywall anchors, and batteries for my leveling laser. So I can be prepared for the "honey do this, honey do that" surge

RowdyRon likes this.
  14. Aug 1, 2016 at 1:13 PM
    Law323

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    And I wanted to black out my badges this week, but not shaping up in my favor. Ah well.

15. Aug 1, 2016 at 3:10 PM
    WarEagleSteve

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    N.J.
    Vehicle:
    Good deal! Enjoy your move to Alabama where they have actual college football teams...:boink:

Ps...no idea where you're moving to...lol

Law323 likes this.
  16. Aug 1, 2016 at 3:46 PM
    RowdyRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    I think he is moving to Memphis, so, still no football team:rolleyes:

Law323 and WarEagleSteve like this.
  17. Aug 1, 2016 at 3:50 PM
    WarEagleSteve

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    N.J.
    Vehicle:
    Poor guy...

RowdyRon likes this.
  18. Aug 1, 2016 at 3:57 PM
    RowdyRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    Of course, @Law323 is moving from Baton Rouge so he is used to being football team poor.....(and 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...............)

WarEagleSteve likes this.
  19. Aug 1, 2016 at 3:58 PM
    Law323

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Like @RowdyRon said, Memphis, no football team to speak of, nor baseball. Maybe they have a watermelon seed spitting league up there. Or competitive moonshining!!
    You're right.....poor guy!
    On the bright side, PLENTY of kayaking and hiking trails up there, and I'm close enough (4 hours away) from my hunting camp down here, I can hit it up and make a weekend out of it without too much of a hassle. That, with cable and the LSU football schedule, I'll survive :help:

20. Aug 1, 2016 at 4:00 PM
    Law323

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Oooooh thems fighting words!!!
    Can't wait for November 12!!! We'll see who gets the golden boot this year!! LOL

WarEagleSteve and RowdyRon like this.
  21. Aug 1, 2016 at 4:01 PM
    RowdyRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    Well, that didn't take long!

WarEagleSteve and Law323 like this.
  22. Aug 1, 2016 at 4:14 PM
    Law323

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    LOL my spidey sense....

Nah, I had just gotten on here and posted my first post, then saw yours. Perfect timing! LOL
    By the way, who's winning in the entire history of LSU vs Arkansas?.......oh yeah, LSU by about 10 games. Razorbacks must be pretty good eatin' :devil:

23. Aug 1, 2016 at 5:11 PM
    RowdyRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    History Shmistry, LOL!

Actually LSU leads 37 to 22 wins since 1901 so we have some catching up to do!

WarEagleSteve and Law323 like this.
  24. Aug 1, 2016 at 5:25 PM
    Law323

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Y'all do have a 2 win streak! We'll have to see if we can't put that to an end November!!

RowdyRon and WarEagleSteve like this.
  25. Aug 1, 2016 at 6:05 PM
    WarEagleSteve

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    N.J.
    Vehicle:
  26. Aug 1, 2016 at 6:10 PM
    FiveStar

FiveStar New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra
    I would get it coated with Ceramic Pro. My truck is coated and its the best protection you are going to get

27. Aug 6, 2016 at 7:28 AM
    NJMIke

NJMIke New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Double Cab SR5
    Rial cast wheels. Looking for TRD Pro grill with chrome surround
    Just seeing this thread today. If the water spots are bad and the vinager solution doesn't work for you, grab a couple dryer fabric softener sheets and put a little bit of dishwasher rinse aid on the dryer sheets the rub the spots off. Yep, like anything else be careful not to rub so much you'll damage the paint. Works great on chrome too. If problem is over entire truck this will take some time but it's worked for me where nothing else has.

28. Aug 6, 2016 at 9:38 AM
    Tracker

Tracker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Colorado, Denver Burbs
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Tundra SR5 Lifted
    Pro Comp Lift, towing mirrors, Fuel rims, Toyo A/T, Nav, Viper remote start
    Lick your finger and easily rub them away. Its gross but hey it leaves a great shine.

29. Aug 6, 2016 at 9:46 AM
    fuguchan

fuguchan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    St. Mary's County, MD
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum BRM
    Leer Cap w/Bed Rugs, Husky Mats, more coming
    I just use a simple soft squeegee and a rag. Better to remove the water before it creates water spots, then a easy wipe with a cloth and your done with it. Same as cleaning house windows. The water / vinegar method does work good but uses elbow grease. I'm an older guy so I'd rather use a stick with a squeegee and save some elbow grease. :thumbsup: I have well water and I made my own filtration system to bring my water to 6.5 to 7.0 PH to have some soft water. If your in the city, don't rely on the water to be soft, no way. May help to check you water for hardness. Your water may be really hard with other chemicals in it. Your County can do a water test for this. I know this is a lot of info but what the heck. Squeegee on a stick works for me.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
To Top