1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Relia-build-ability

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by TootinTundra3.4, Mar 27, 2020 at 12:25 AM.

?

2wd: lift or level?

1. Lift it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Level it

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Mar 27, 2020 at 12:25 AM
    TootinTundra3.4

TootinTundra3.4 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tundra 2wd access cab 3.4 auto
    Tonneau cover, towing hitch, refurbed 3.4
    01 2wd V6 auto access cab new engine 280k on rest. This is gunna be the family truck for the next unforeseen amount of years and I already have used tranny in sight for the future but being new to tundra’s (yota’s in general) I wanted to pick your minds of mods or preventative work to keep this thing the most reliable, wondering if I should replace lbj’s soon or just save up a bit and get all new front suspension and control arms etc? Truck runs and rides better than most anything I’ve owned as it sits. No heavy off-roading but we got rivers and beach so gravel and sand, also I’ve heard some earlier 1st gen 2wd had elockers? Interested to find out if that’s even a thing on these or how to figure out if the trucks got one. And finally a non reliabuildability question... where the hell are you guys putting subwoofers and amps where they sound good and don’t take up a whole back seat?! Thanks all in advance!

784532A4-B84B-4419-9A85-DF1CC3E9B0DE.jpg

Rica25, Mr. Seven and MrAristo like this.
  2. Mar 27, 2020 at 1:33 AM
    koditten

koditten New Member

Member:
    You want reliability, you need to keep it stock.

If your control arm bushings are fine, there is no reason to change control arms. The bushings are the only wearable part.

I don't know if there was a Prerunner package for 1st Gen Tundras.

The Tacomas had the lockable diffy for their Prerunner 2 wheel drive trucks.

3. Mar 27, 2020 at 1:34 AM
    Tundra2

Tundra2 Tinkering, and Thinkering

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Western Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    '02 Tundra V6 SR5
    Deer guard, LED everything.
    20200323_083008.jpg

This is my '02 V6 Auto. I have been curious about this myself. I'll dig up a side profile pic.

Edit: @koditten posted while I was typing. Reliability is really all I'm after. Lol

MrAristo likes this.
  4. Mar 27, 2020 at 6:36 AM
    SC T100

SC T100 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4WD
    Rancho Quicklift/RS9000XLs, Rancho rear 1.5" blocks with RS9000XL shocks in rear, SuspensionMAXX extended sway bar links.
    Honestly, to keep reliability as high as possible you need to change the lower ball joints (check the VIN at the dealer, you might get them for free), change the timing belt/water pump (use the good Aisin kit) if it hasn't been done i the last 90K, and keep up with maintenance. Don't let it overheat, and keep the oil fresh. Since you have an '02, you can do some trans fluid drains and fills, and don't tow with the overdrive on. And keep weights and tow weights within spec or below. That drivetrain is about as reliable as they come.

That's it. It'll run another 280K if you keep up on everything, including little things (cracked hoses, small leaks, etc.).

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020 at 7:15 AM
  5. Mar 27, 2020 at 7:09 AM
    koditten

koditten New Member

Member:
    I think you are mistaken on towing in OD. O2 Tundra would have had the Tacoma transmission with the weak planatary gear assembly.

6. Mar 27, 2020 at 7:14 AM
    SC T100

SC T100 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4WD
    Rancho Quicklift/RS9000XLs, Rancho rear 1.5" blocks with RS9000XL shocks in rear, SuspensionMAXX extended sway bar links.
    Yep..typo! Thanks. Meant to say don't.

koditten likes this.
  7. Mar 27, 2020 at 12:17 PM
    speedtre

speedtre New Member

Member:
    Dirty South
    Vehicle:
    2006 BSM Toyota Tundra DC TRD 4x4
    No tundra has ever come with a factory rear locker...you can register your truck at toyota.com/owners and see if it came with the optional LSD.

8. Mar 27, 2020 at 1:25 PM
    TootinTundra3.4

TootinTundra3.4 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tundra 2wd access cab 3.4 auto
    Tonneau cover, towing hitch, refurbed 3.4
    Thank you guys for the responses! Very helpful and gave me lots of ideas, definitely gunna keep her mostly stock, nothing crazy as she’s the daily, but that might be what it is I never thought Toyota incorporates LSD but after gettin engine in the truck in Springfield we went up to the mountains and she spun both tires in the snow I was pretty surprised, but I can feel some groaning from the lbj’s on slow mph turns, poor trucks prolly never had much changed lol and she’s a 2001 I might have mistyped there year earlier thanks all!

koditten likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top