1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Red Alert on the 2020 Tundra Limited - all systems failed - but not an emergency

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Photoweekender, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Jun 9, 2021 at 9:32 AM
    Photoweekender

Photoweekender [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Photo
    Queens, NY
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Limited DC TRD OR 4x4 Army Green
    TRD Pro Skid Plate Tonneau cover - OEM Talons Garage cat plate Emblem blackout Solar panel on tonneau cover
    Sorry for the dramatic title, but I couldn't miss an actual relevant the Star Trek quote opportunity!

I have a 2020 Limited TRD 4x4 (total 15k miles now)

Just got back from a cross country trip (6000 miles!) and truck drove like a monster thru all weather, road conditions and some offroad hurdles. I love those 80 MPH western highways!

Halfway thru the trip.. somewhere in Utah (near Factory Butte), the following started happening.

Damage report: All TSS features including ABS, Trailer Brake, etc. seems to fail after this. Truck still runs great and does all that it should do. Parking sensors still work and even the auto high beam feature works at night.

No problems with driving except all safety features + cruise control stop working randomly with this error. The error condition usually goes away with re-start and comes back randomly: while idling, while driving or upon start.
    I have gone for hours driving flawlessly without this error and then suddenly... the beeping starts.
    I can't see a pattern in this error. Happens on road or offroad. In all weather conditions.

I went to one toyota dealer... where the service manager wiped bugs off my tss sensor / Toyota emblem and told me I was good to go.
    The error came back a few hours later and I was already in another state.
    I don't see any rodent damage anywhere. truck is parked on concrete and not really exposed to 'nature' while parked.

Going to dealer soon but I am afraid i cant re-create this problem on demand. Logging the occurrence via photos + video.

Anyone have insight into this? I have searched the forum with really mixed results.

2. Jun 9, 2021 at 10:52 AM
    frichco228

frichco228 Valued Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4WD, TRD Offroad
    Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, HD RAS, 285/75-18 Nokian Outpost AT, LoPro bed cover, TRD rear sway bar, DD 10 inch exhaust, and various other goodies
    plenty written about TSS errors/problems on this site. Dirt, snow, even rain can light things up. Other than checking for rodent damage I think it would be a dealer visit unless the errors happened after running in rain, then went away.

3. Jun 9, 2021 at 10:56 AM
    frichco228

frichco228 Valued Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, HD RAS, 285/75-18 Nokian Outpost AT, LoPro bed cover, TRD rear sway bar, DD 10 inch exhaust, and various other goodies
  4. Jun 9, 2021 at 10:57 AM
    frichco228

frichco228 Valued Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
  5. Jun 9, 2021 at 10:58 AM
    frichco228

frichco228 Valued Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
  6. Jun 9, 2021 at 11:09 AM
    Photoweekender

Member:
    First Name:
    Photo
    Queens, NY
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro Skid Plate Tonneau cover - OEM Talons Garage cat plate Emblem blackout Solar panel on tonneau cover
    Thanks all for the links. i will check those although I did a bunch of searches and wasnt getting relevant results.
    this is happening in all weather conditions... started in desert dry weather though.

7. Jun 27, 2022 at 10:26 AM
    souperdad10

souperdad10 New Member

Member:
    Bingo. 2020 exactly the same behavior. I’m not crazy. Dealer said try to bring it in when in alert. So far it resets all the time in route. Lol. This group and dealer said same thing. Battery or mice.

I replace battery just because (dealer and users here all said battery) and it didn’t help. No mice issue evident either.

So…guess I am trading it in on a good day?

keep any updates posted and I’ll do the same. Good luck my friend.

8. Jul 13, 2022 at 1:51 PM
    Photoweekender

Member:
    First Name:
    Photo
    Queens, NY
    Vehicle:
    Sad to hear about this happe ing for you. I had taken my truck to dealer and they found the rear sway bar installed by a 3rd party cause the wire harness to get damaged. I paid a couple hundred for repair to the harness and the problem was fixed.

souperdad10 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top