1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Recommendations on home video/alarm system

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Shamrock92, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Oct 8, 2021 at 12:24 PM
    Shamrock92

Shamrock92 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Looking for some recommendations on a decent home alarm/video system for a property I have out of state.

Basically - it’s in the middle of BFE, but does have internet (relatively slow - just above dial up it feels like, but internet).

Thinking just getting a few cameras and then sensors on doors/motion detectors for the house/garage. If someone does break in - just text me an alert of motion detected and it can peak in - call sheriffs as needed.

A lot of $19 a month - DIY kits out there - SimpliSafe, Ring, etc - anything really better than the others ?

Also thinking of doing keypad locks - that way if I do need to let someone in - create a 1 time passcode for them and change it following. Easier than chasing down keys all the time.

2. Oct 8, 2021 at 1:45 PM
    ezdog

ezdog New Member

Member:
    Gateway To The West
    Vehicle:
    2001 RCLB V8,4WD 2015 RCLB 5.7,4WD
    I put in a lot of the WYZE systems as they are the only one with free cloud playback for 2 weeks back but all of the other bigger players do charge a monthly fee for the same basic service. The WYZE hardware is also really cheap to buy compared to the others but still decent quality too.

Then Ring security system is sadly just really stupid as an alarm system though it does report free through a cellular connection and the hardware is all built into the base unit too. But it barely integrates with the other Ring stuff like cameras which you will have to pay for to review video though it is only $10 for as many cameras as you want.

I have only installed these and then actual security systems from established makers and I use WYZE at my Home and Shop it is just tough to pay more for little more service.

Shamrock92[OP] likes this.
  3. Oct 8, 2021 at 2:42 PM
    MadMaxCanon

MadMaxCanon New Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '21 CM SR5 4x4 6 seater
    Too many, but not enough....
    I use ADT sensors and geeni cameras for my cabin. It's like 60 bucks a month and you can arm from phone. Love it.

Shamrock92[OP] likes this.
  4. Oct 8, 2021 at 3:13 PM
    Shamrock92

Shamrock92 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Will look into Wyze - that’s a new one to me, but sounds interesting

ADT - somewhat familiar with, was hoping to get by for 20 or so a month - it’s not like I live there - just want an alarm if someone comes in or if water running. Wife wants a system for house here too - that I plan on paying a bit more for though. 60 a month wouldn’t be horrible (then again - I work from home - so whose breaking in with me here).

5. Oct 8, 2021 at 3:57 PM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC SR5 Barcelona
    Alot of them
    I have ADT Pulse and it's around $54 per month. I have Ring cameras as well.

6. Oct 8, 2021 at 5:55 PM
    g6t9ed

g6t9ed Novice Tundra Modder

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black CrewMax 1794 4x4
    My recommendation for cameras would be the Eufy SoloCam S40. They are wireless with solar power, so that helps keep them powered without need to recharge or be plugged. Obviously, they need an area that gathers some sunlight to help recharge.

They don't require a monthly charge but they do offer it for cloud storage; otherwise, it's locally stored on the homebase. You can specify detection zones, sensitivity, and either all motion or just human. They also have a 2-way communication. I've found it to be a little bit delayed for obvious reasons but works realistically well. Night vision is also a bonus and they have a 2K digital video with WDR for better viewing. They also have door locks and doorbells you can add to make for a seamless ecosystem. I do believe they have some wired indoor cameras that can tilt and pan if you require those as well.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  7. Oct 8, 2021 at 6:00 PM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
    I’ll weigh in on the keypad lock only:
    IMO if you have kids or an absentminded spouse— or basically anyone in your family that’s not paranoid about blocking anyone seeing them key in that code— use a keypad lock only where you have an additional security door you can key lock. You’ll sleep better.

And… those keypad locks typically come with only one master key… figure out where to store that…outside of the house, but where you can get it in the dead of night… because if the ambient temp drops even a little, those key pads won’t work. I don’t know why… but it’s happened to us several times— in temperate SoCal— and, since we don’t carry that master key on vacation, we’ve been stuck outside late at night finding creative ways to warm the lock. I’ve since searched online and found this is “normal” for these locks.

Products Discussed in

To Top