1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Recall: Pre-Collision System (PCS)

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2014+)' started by OR18TRD, Apr 12, 2019.

1. May 25, 2019 at 2:24 PM
    iamkeith

iamkeith New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 --> 2018
    2018 vs 2019 question. I'd appreciate it if anybody, who knows the answer for absolute certain, can answer:

On the 2018 trucks, you can have the dealer set the PCS so that it does not re-start with each ignition key cycle. (That is accomplished by following the instructions on service bulletin T-SB-0059-18 using the Tech Stream computer interface, and is part of what they do if you come in for the K0B recall and have unapproved modifications. I say "can," because some may not.) Afterwords, you can still use the PCS if you want, but you decide when to turn it on. (That is done through the steering wheel controls and the menus on the gauge cluster.)

Now, the dealer is telling me that the 2019s are somehow different than the 2018s, but can't/won't articulate exactly how. He is only saying that it is "easier" to turn off the system. I can't go to check in person, so I don't know if that means that it's merely already set for manual control as per the service bulletin above (can't imagine this is the case), or if there's a new hard button on the dash that allows you to turn it off without scrolling through the menus, or if the number of required steps in the steering wheel menu are just simplified.

I basically want to make absolutely certain that I can set the 2019 not to re-start with each ignition cycle, if I so choose, in the same way that I can do with the 2018 (presumably through the tech stream system.) Toyota is very cryptic and won't give me direct answers, so I have this sneaking suspicion that the 2019 is programmed slightly different than the 2018. Which could make sense since it's still a new technology/feature, and since the 2018s have already had the problems noted in this thread.

Very frustrating trying to get a clear answer to what should be a simple question. Anybody know? Thanks in advance.

OR18TRD [OP] likes this.
  2. May 26, 2019 at 3:51 AM
    phogallen

phogallen My Last Mid-Life Crisis

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black 1794 Fusion Edition
    TRD Pro Grill, front bumper end caps, mirror caps and door handles blacked out. ATC Cap, Cap Pack 6 Gun Drawer, LED lights in CAP, Rhino rails on top, 12 volt accessory plugs. Weathertech floor mats, after market antenae. 45 Ceramic tint film to driver and passenger door. Coachbuilder shims ,+2 shackles, steering kit, bumper shims, Bora 1.25 wheel spacers Bilstein 5100's on mid setting. BW flares with blacked out Route 66 screws. Gloss black powder coated OEM rims and Cooper 295/70/18 Cooper ST MAXX. Tech12Volt sound system upgrade...JL C2's doors and C1's on dash, 5 channel JL amp, 2 10inch subs in custom box and DSR1 sound processor...Soundskins in doors and back wall. Trunk and body badges removed. Powder coated tow hooks red. Linex bed lining front bra film and flares along with full ceramic coat. Ceramic Pro interior plus windshield treatment. Toyota running boards and TRD anti sway bars in front and rear along with blacked out exhaust tip. TRD door latch cover plates. Full VLED light upgrade puddle, license, interior added footwell plus rear tail light brake, reverse. Added ASM turn signal LED's in front. OPT 7 tailgate light in red. Baja Design amber squadrons wc in front and SR2 Pro's in amber on rear bumper. Filmed reverse light in back, added red shackle on tow hitch and new license plate in front. Custom painted badge on tailgate. 3M crystalline on windshield and sunroof. Ceramic window film on rear seat windows. Added dirty deeds 8 inch stainless and summit racing dual tip. Soundproofed floor with foam and mass loaded vinyl. Black Bedslide added to bed.
    I have a 19...the dealer turned it off with the recall. I turned it back on when I got in the truck. A few days later I checked it and it is still on...as it should be. I'm sure the same would be true had I left it off.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    OR18TRD [OP] likes this.
  3. May 31, 2019 at 9:17 AM
    rollingTide29

rollingTide29 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM TRD Sport Crewmax
    I just had my '19 in for its 5k service and to have the recall done. Dealer called me and said they would not do the recall due to fact I have 6112's installed and have "modified" it. I haven't had any trouble out of the sensor prior, so hopefully this isn't a big deal.

I was even given the option to sign the "modified" vehicle paperwork.

4. May 31, 2019 at 12:46 PM
    iamkeith

iamkeith New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 --> 2018
    Interesting that the dealer turned it off even though you didn't want them to. Is your truck lifted? Or is it stock height..."as it should be?" ;-)

FYI for those interested, I took a trip to the dealer to compare the 19s to the 18s and confirmed that the factory-set (ie: for non-modified trucks) PCS operation is essentially the same. There's just one less step required on the 19's dash/steering wheel menu to disable it following an ignition key cycle, if so desired. @phogallen's experience suggests that the reverse is true as well.

5. Jun 3, 2019 at 8:10 AM
    phogallen

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro Grill, front bumper end caps, mirror caps and door handles blacked out. ATC Cap, Cap Pack 6 Gun Drawer, LED lights in CAP, Rhino rails on top, 12 volt accessory plugs. Weathertech floor mats, after market antenae. 45 Ceramic tint film to driver and passenger door. Coachbuilder shims ,+2 shackles, steering kit, bumper shims, Bora 1.25 wheel spacers Bilstein 5100's on mid setting. BW flares with blacked out Route 66 screws. Gloss black powder coated OEM rims and Cooper 295/70/18 Cooper ST MAXX. Tech12Volt sound system upgrade...JL C2's doors and C1's on dash, 5 channel JL amp, 2 10inch subs in custom box and DSR1 sound processor...Soundskins in doors and back wall. Trunk and body badges removed. Powder coated tow hooks red. Linex bed lining front bra film and flares along with full ceramic coat. Ceramic Pro interior plus windshield treatment. Toyota running boards and TRD anti sway bars in front and rear along with blacked out exhaust tip. TRD door latch cover plates. Full VLED light upgrade puddle, license, interior added footwell plus rear tail light brake, reverse. Added ASM turn signal LED's in front. OPT 7 tailgate light in red. Baja Design amber squadrons wc in front and SR2 Pro's in amber on rear bumper. Filmed reverse light in back, added red shackle on tow hitch and new license plate in front. Custom painted badge on tailgate. 3M crystalline on windshield and sunroof. Ceramic window film on rear seat windows. Added dirty deeds 8 inch stainless and summit racing dual tip. Soundproofed floor with foam and mass loaded vinyl. Black Bedslide added to bed.
    A Tundra owner from Indiana had an 18 with 15k miles. The truck suddenly braked going 70 pulling a trailer..scary to say the least. Dealer supposedly fixed it and it happened again! He ended up getting a brand new truck from Toyota. Haven't heard of anything this dramatic and frightening...

6. Jun 3, 2019 at 8:18 AM
    TacoWuzzaTurd

TacoWuzzaTurd Loving my Tundra

Member:
    Scottsdale AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 4x4 Crewmax, TRD Offroad
    6112s @1.9", TRD Dual Exhaust, rims, tires, jl audio system
    My neighbors truck 2018, is bone stock. Hes been to the dealer prior to the recall at least 3 times maybe more for PCS light coming on. It is driving him crazy. He went and got the recall done and the light came on again. He told me the other day he plans to lemon the truck and get a dodge. Seems overkill for what is essentially an idiot light coming on.

phogallen likes this.
  7. Jun 3, 2019 at 8:32 AM
    phogallen

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    I have not had an issue but have it on the lowest setting...I'm thinking of just turning it off.

8. Jun 3, 2019 at 9:48 AM
    atrinh15

atrinh15 New Member

Member:
    495-93 area
    Vehicle:
    2018 PLATNIUM White CM
    Ready lift 3/2 Fuel Mavericks 22x9.5 Nitti Terra Grappler G2 - 285/55/22 K/N air filter TRD sway bar SS Fisher plow Mesh grill painted to match Rear bumper painted white
    This is a huge issue and we have to deal with it. The only way they will take this more serious is if someone gets hurt. I get the hole safety sense. But it has a flaw in the design

9. Jun 3, 2019 at 9:51 AM
    TacoWuzzaTurd

Member:
    Scottsdale AZ
    Vehicle:
    How would someone get hurt? I had the warning come on many times over a year. Never once did this cause a problem with how the vehicle drove. I'm trying to understand how people are interpreting this to be a major safety concern. Idiot light illuminates on dash, cant use adaptive cruise control. Manual (oldschool) cruise control still works...truck drives like any other vehicle I've driven in the past 30 years with or without PCS on. Pay attention to the road and drive safely.:thumbsup:

10. Jun 3, 2019 at 11:14 AM
    atrinh15

atrinh15 New Member

Member:
    495-93 area
    Vehicle:
    2018 PLATNIUM White CM
    Ready lift 3/2 Fuel Mavericks 22x9.5 Nitti Terra Grappler G2 - 285/55/22 K/N air filter TRD sway bar SS Fisher plow Mesh grill painted to match Rear bumper painted white
    Im not disagreeing with you. But the guy in Indiana said it came on while he was towing and started braking at 70mph. Thats a huge problem Its a dumb light i agree but it can cause major problems if all of a sudden your truck is braking at 70mph never mind towing something fully loaded.

11. Jun 3, 2019 at 11:50 AM
    TacoWuzzaTurd

Member:
    Scottsdale AZ
    Vehicle:
    I saw someone claim this but I have not experienced it because if the light comes on the system shuts off...it doesnt come on and start braking. Makes no sense.

12. Jun 3, 2019 at 1:47 PM
    LT75

LT75 Seasoned Pro

Member:
    Saint Charles, IL
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Pro
    No mods yet
    I’ve had the cruise cut out when the system turned off randomly on the highway at about 80mph. The guy behind me almost hit me when I slowed down. That was only because it was beyond windy and it slowed my down big time. He probably wasn’t paying attention either. Then I almost hit someone that pulled out in front of me. System didn’t kick on, just said pcs unavailable instead of engaging. The pcs should have engaged the brakes.

13. Jun 3, 2019 at 2:14 PM
    TacoWuzzaTurd

Member:
    Scottsdale AZ
    Vehicle:
    And FWIW I'd recommend turning off PCS when towing anyway. Not sure what the manual says on that
    I dont rely on electronic nannys to control my vehicle I guess I'm oldschool. Yes the truck was designed to have some of these capabilities and I understand wanting to hold Toyota accountable to get them fixed and raising hell about it. I raised holy hell on my Turd Gen Tacoma and even got banned for it on Tacoma World because I was so salty for so long. At any rate I just feel that the argument that this is a major safety issue is a strawman. You're still ultimately responsible for the control of your vehicle, right? This is not an autonomous unmanned system.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  14. Jun 3, 2019 at 4:19 PM
    LT75

LT75 Seasoned Pro

Member:
    Saint Charles, IL
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Pro
    No mods yet
    Yeah me either. That’s why I was able to hit the brakes and stop. I’m just saying it doesn’t help when it doesn’t work. System probably adds a couple thousand to the price of the car. What did I pay for?

15. Jun 3, 2019 at 7:14 PM
    Fishman57

Fishman57 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    Bucks County, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra 1794 Barcelona Red Crewmax
    BakFlip MX4 Tonneau, 12 Volt Solutions Remote Starter More minor mods coming
    Went on my dealer’s site today and made an appointment to have a few things done, including the PCS recall. They called me and told me that it would take 2 weeks to get the necessary parts before the recall could be done. WTF?

16. Jun 3, 2019 at 8:03 PM
    TacoWuzzaTurd

Member:
    Scottsdale AZ
    Vehicle:
    Back ordered foam tape "sealant "

Fishman57 likes this.
  17. Jun 6, 2019 at 3:26 PM
    LT75

LT75 Seasoned Pro

Member:
    Saint Charles, IL
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Pro
    No mods yet
    Well I just got a letter from Toyota. They are going to repurchase my truck back because of the PCS issues. I just need to remove everything aftermarket. Debating getting a pro which is slightly lifted already and just selling my icons after I remove them.

gjcarving likes this.
  18. Jun 6, 2019 at 3:51 PM
    Mike19

Mike19 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Chi town
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 CM 4X4 TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, Bilsteins 6112/5100, CB Shims 2/1, CB +3 Shackles, Air Ride, RCI Engine and Trans Skid Plates, Cooper AT3 XLT 275/65/20
    Is this PCS issue happening on 2019’s?

19. Jun 6, 2019 at 4:02 PM
    Midnite72

Midnite72 Anything DIRT !!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Northern MD
    Vehicle:
    18 SR 5.7 4x4
    2” level P&P sliders
    I had appointment to get both recalls done on my 18’
    When I checked in at service lane I informed
    them that I was refusing the PCS recall because I had researched the issues on line(really just all the talk on here) and if I had to sign a waiver, what is the use of them working on it if it’s not warranted because truck is “modified “!! Plus I informed her I turn it off every time I start truck!
    She shrugged her shoulders and said “ ain’t technology great”
    Got my computer update and went on my way!!

TacoWuzzaTurd likes this.
  20. Jun 7, 2019 at 7:34 AM
    djhase

djhase New Member

Member:
    We have had our Tundra for 6 weeks. Its never flashed any warnings or applied brake automatically. We have not had any incidents that would have warranted such action so I guess its working. The dynamic cruise works and it uses the same radar I assume.

21. Jun 7, 2019 at 8:18 AM
    Amnesiac

Amnesiac When I am king, you will be first against the wall

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    2019 Superwhite TRD Sport
    Have had my ‘19 for only 500 miles, but I also haven’t had it engage yet.

22. Jun 7, 2019 at 8:28 AM
    Ronin73

Ronin73 New Member

Member:
    South
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Crewmax SR5 4x4 5.7 Magnetic Grey Metallic
    No, the big orange brake light comes on and then the truck brakes dramatically on its own, just shy of slamming on the brakes....that is a safety issue. it happened to me once before the recall. Scared the !@$%*! out of me.

pickeledpigsfeet likes this.
  23. Jun 7, 2019 at 4:01 PM
    phogallen

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    I am starting to think the recall was bs in order to get as many vehicles signed up for the PCS disclaimer that did modifications. Who would want to go back to stock rather than just turn the whole thing off. I doubt I would....I have put almost 15k in the truck since I bought it.

rollingTide29 likes this.
  24. Jun 7, 2019 at 4:47 PM
    rollingTide29

rollingTide29 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM TRD Sport Crewmax
    You and me both. I’m not going back to stock. That’s the whole point of owning the truck is to do what you want. Lol.

Midnite72 likes this.
  25. Jun 7, 2019 at 6:04 PM
    LT75

LT75 Seasoned Pro

Member:
    Saint Charles, IL
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Pro
    No mods yet
    Yeah never made sense to me. Clear Toyota of all liability because your truck is lifted due to water getting in a sensor.

Midnite72 likes this.
  26. Jun 8, 2019 at 7:57 AM
    phogallen

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    I'd never sign that waiver....never.

27. Jun 8, 2019 at 8:06 AM
    LT75

LT75 Seasoned Pro

Member:
    Saint Charles, IL
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Pro
    No mods yet
    I hope my replacement truck is trouble free.

28. Jun 10, 2019 at 7:48 PM
    TacoWuzzaTurd

Member:
    Scottsdale AZ
    Vehicle:
    This makes no sense. If PCS deactivates the truck does not brake.

29. Jun 11, 2019 at 4:13 AM
    mstaley48

mstaley48 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2018 Magnetic TRD Off-Road
    I'm getting ready to install an older style PRO grille on my 2018 Off-Road. What would happen if I just leave the sensor off the truck all together? I'm assuming a dash light, but is there any way to clear that?

bhuff92 likes this.
  30. Jun 11, 2019 at 4:24 AM
    Midnite72

Midnite72 Anything DIRT !!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Northern MD
    Vehicle:
    18 SR 5.7 4x4
    2” level P&P sliders
    Don’t know but curious also?????