1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Recall: Pre-Collision System (PCS)

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2014+)' started by OR18TRD, Apr 12, 2019.

1. May 14, 2019 at 8:53 AM
    TacoWuzzaTurd

TacoWuzzaTurd Loving my Tundra

Member:
    Scottsdale AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 4x4 Crewmax, TRD Offroad
    6112s @1.9", TRD Dual Exhaust, rims, tires, jl audio system
    Technically if you change height of vehicle yes you need a recalibration. Whether or not it will give you issues without recalibrating is a crapshoot. If you're just leveling I haven't heard too many complaints. Also my buddy was a Toyota master tech up until a couple months ago and he said most techs dont really know how to recalibrate that system for a lift. Apparently they aren't trained on that procedure which is part of the reason Toyota probably doesnt want to dick around with making promises for fixing issues on modified trucks. Keep it simple.

2. May 14, 2019 at 10:57 AM
    Zero One Actual

Zero One Actual Member among Members

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Best Color ever, I mean Cement 2019 Crewmadmax
    Thank you sir. I will do the suspension lift (total of three inches and level in the rear) and see what happens for a little bit. If it gets crazy, I guess I will do the recal and keep this thread posted on how it goes.

3. May 14, 2019 at 2:38 PM
    mojojo

mojojo New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement SR5 CM
    As said already, a level should not present issues (1.9" 6112 is working great for me).

When I was researching, several sources suggested keeping the bow lower or level to the stern. Ymmv

4. May 18, 2019 at 6:34 AM
    phogallen

phogallen My Last Mid-Life Crisis

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black 1794 Fusion Edition
    TRD Pro Grill, front bumper end caps, mirror caps and door handles blacked out. ATC Cap, Cap Pack 6 Gun Drawer, LED lights in CAP, Rhino rails on top, 12 volt accessory plugs. Weathertech floor mats, after market antenae. 45 Ceramic tint film to driver and passenger door. Coachbuilder shims ,+2 shackles, steering kit, bumper shims, Bora 1.25 wheel spacers Bilstein 5100's on mid setting. BW flares with blacked out Route 66 screws. Gloss black powder coated OEM rims and Cooper 295/70/18 Cooper ST MAXX. Tech12Volt sound system upgrade...JL C2's doors and C1's on dash, 5 channel JL amp, 2 10inch subs in custom box and DSR1 sound processor...Soundskins in doors and back wall. Trunk and body badges removed. Powder coated tow hooks red. Linex bed lining front bra film and flares along with full ceramic coat. Ceramic Pro interior plus windshield treatment. Toyota running boards and TRD anti sway bars in front and rear along with blacked out exhaust tip. TRD door latch cover plates. Full VLED light upgrade puddle, license, interior added footwell plus rear tail light brake, reverse. Added ASM turn signal LED's in front. OPT 7 tailgate light in red. Baja Design amber squadrons wc in front and SR2 Pro's in amber on rear bumper. Filmed reverse light in back, added red shackle on tow hitch and new license plate in front. Custom painted badge on tailgate. 3M crystalline on windshield and sunroof. Ceramic window film on rear seat windows. Added dirty deeds 8 inch stainless and summit racing dual tip. Soundproofed floor with foam and mass loaded vinyl. Black Bedslide added to bed.
    Same set up with 295's ....checked lift and tire size box on the form but I didn't sign. Maybe they missed that!! I even had the ARES garnish on my pro grill and they didn't care... Turned the PCS back on and drove home...I think they did the sealant but didnt do any recalibration that I am aware of.

Tundrablue likes this.
  5. May 18, 2019 at 6:35 AM
    Patriot

Patriot Member

Member:
    Western NC, “Boondocks”
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 Silver Sky Platinum
    TT 3/1 Boss lift, XPEL paint protection, tint front windows, door ding protectors aka- s/s running boards, OEM painted flares, TRD shifter, Weathertecs, ARE "Z" topper, locker-down console vault. 285/60/20 Michelin Defender tires, Blackrhino mint wheels, Pro Grill, OEM drivers side grab handle, color matched mirror caps, and door handles. Rough Country LED lower grill lightbar. Blackrhino "mint" wheels.
    You nailed it! :thumbsup: Keep the fancy and the price increase.

6. May 18, 2019 at 6:36 AM
    Rider0120

Rider0120 New Member

Member:
    Bucks County, Pa
    Vehicle:
    2018 White double cab SR 4x4 long bed
    Ranch Hand full replacement bumper
    E7E2F2EA-BEAC-41B7-BEFF-A3AFF2B98BF8.jpg

Just to let you guys know, my dealer didn’t question me about my ranch hand bumper when they did the software update.

OR18TRD [OP] likes this.
  7. May 18, 2019 at 7:12 PM
    jagged155

jagged155 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2018 Platinum Pro
    Same thing happened to me.

8. May 19, 2019 at 3:45 AM
    phogallen

phogallen My Last Mid-Life Crisis

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black 1794 Fusion Edition
    TRD Pro Grill, front bumper end caps, mirror caps and door handles blacked out. ATC Cap, Cap Pack 6 Gun Drawer, LED lights in CAP, Rhino rails on top, 12 volt accessory plugs. Weathertech floor mats, after market antenae. 45 Ceramic tint film to driver and passenger door. Coachbuilder shims ,+2 shackles, steering kit, bumper shims, Bora 1.25 wheel spacers Bilstein 5100's on mid setting. BW flares with blacked out Route 66 screws. Gloss black powder coated OEM rims and Cooper 295/70/18 Cooper ST MAXX. Tech12Volt sound system upgrade...JL C2's doors and C1's on dash, 5 channel JL amp, 2 10inch subs in custom box and DSR1 sound processor...Soundskins in doors and back wall. Trunk and body badges removed. Powder coated tow hooks red. Linex bed lining front bra film and flares along with full ceramic coat. Ceramic Pro interior plus windshield treatment. Toyota running boards and TRD anti sway bars in front and rear along with blacked out exhaust tip. TRD door latch cover plates. Full VLED light upgrade puddle, license, interior added footwell plus rear tail light brake, reverse. Added ASM turn signal LED's in front. OPT 7 tailgate light in red. Baja Design amber squadrons wc in front and SR2 Pro's in amber on rear bumper. Filmed reverse light in back, added red shackle on tow hitch and new license plate in front. Custom painted badge on tailgate. 3M crystalline on windshield and sunroof. Ceramic window film on rear seat windows. Added dirty deeds 8 inch stainless and summit racing dual tip. Soundproofed floor with foam and mass loaded vinyl. Black Bedslide added to bed.
    Strange they worked on mine

OR18TRD [OP] likes this.
  9. May 19, 2019 at 6:30 PM
    sdde4n

sdde4n New Member

Member:
    People's Republic of California
    Vehicle:
    2018 CrewMax - Sierra Romeo Cinco
    Leitner Designs ACS
    Same. I went back for something unrelated and they did the KOB and had me sign the PCS waiver.

10. May 20, 2019 at 10:32 PM
    iamkeith

iamkeith New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 --> 2018
    I apologize in advance for a minor thread-drift here, but may I ask how your PCS functions now that you've had the recall+disclaimer service performed? Do I understand correctly that, after this service, it is programmed so that it does NOT re-set to the "on" position every time you turn the ignition off and then on again, but that you DO still have the option to turn it on when so desired?

I haven't yet modified the height of my truck, but it is very encouraging to know that this type of functionality is a possibility if I insist on having it set up that way. I've only had my truck a few days and it's braked multiple times when I didn't want or need it to. Other than the obvious, case-in-point durability and maintenance issues illuminated by this thread, I'm not opposed to having the system IF I can decide when and how to use it and without having to re-set it every time I start the truck.

On the other hand, if I'm reading the manual correctly, maybe having the ability to turn it back on is a moot point and not a real benefit? Some excerpts from the manual:

Pre-collision braking.
    When the system determines that the possibility of a frontal collision is high, the system warns the driver. If the system determines that the possibility of a frontal collision is extremely high, the brakes are automatically applied to help avoid the collision or reduce the collision speed.

Conditions under which the system may operate even if there is no possibility of a collision.
    In some situations such as the following, the system may determine that there is a possibility of a frontal collision and operate:
    When passing a vehicle or pedestrian
    When changing lanes while overtaking a preceding vehicle
    • When overtaking a preceding vehicle that is changing lanes
    • When approaching objects on the roadside, such as guardrails, utility poles, trees, or walls
    • When there is a vehicle, pedestrian, or object by the roadside at the entrance of a curve
    When driving on a narrow path surrounded by a structure, such as in a tunnel or on an iron bridge
    When passing through a place with a low structure above the road (low ceiling, traffic sign, etc.)
    ... etc, etc.​
    Situations in which the system may not operate properly.
    In some situations such as the following, a vehicle may not be detected by the radar sensor and camera sensor, preventing the system from operating properly:
    If a vehicle ahead is a motorcycle or bicycle
    • When approaching the side or front of a vehicle
    • If a preceding vehicle has a low rear end, such as a low bed trailer
    If a vehicle ahead is carrying a load which protrudes past its rear bumper
    If a vehicle cuts in front of your vehicle or emerges from beside a vehicle
    If a vehicle ahead makes an abrupt maneuver (such as sudden... deceleration)
    When driving in inclement weather such as heavy rain, fog, snow* or a sandstorm
    When the surrounding area is dim, such as at dawn or dusk, or while at night* or in a tunnel
    If the front of the vehicle is raised or lowered
    ....etc., etc.​
    Some pedestrians such as the following may not be detected by the radar sensor and camera sensor, preventing the system from operating properly:
    • Pedestrians who are pushing a stroller, wheelchair, bicycle or other vehicle
    Pedestrians in the dark, such as at night or while in a tunnel*
    Pedestrians running out from behind a vehicle or a large object *
    .... etc., etc.​

So stated more succinctly: you don't want to use the PCS under normal driving conditions because it's prone to too many false triggers, and it doesn't function reliably under the very conditions when you'd actually want it? What am I missing?

(*I'll just assume that game animals - the most common hazard by far - darting out from behind a large snow bank... at dusk...in a blizard or fog bank, are the functional equivalent to pedestrians.)

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  11. May 20, 2019 at 11:47 PM
    Muddog

Muddog New Member

Member:
    Just a FYI my dealer told me the same thing about the update. i told them to do the ECU update and and forget the radar update. Once i sign off and deactivate TSS i have a feeling they can some how de value my car if i ever trade it in.

12. May 20, 2019 at 11:58 PM
    OR18TRD

OR18TRD [OP] Pândâ Crëw

Member:
    First Name:
    Pândâ
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    2018 Panda Crewmax
    Suspension: front- Bilsein 6112 set at 1.9”; Rear- bilstein 5160 with maxtrac 1” shackel. Wheels: Method MR308 roost wheels 18x9” +18 offset. Tires: 275/70/18 Goodyear wrangler DuraTrac’s Removed front mudflaps and moved front wheel well liner forward. Bakflip MX4 Tonneau cover Line-x premium bed liner aFe CAI Rear differential breather moved behind taillight Debadged Windows tinted 20% ESP locking long box rear seat storage OEM all weather mats 6 3/4” antenna Coverking leather rear seat cover
    Mine has diminished value after 4 recalls and a cam tower leak :spy:

ryanwgregg likes this.
  13. May 21, 2019 at 12:46 AM
    iamkeith

iamkeith New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 --> 2018
    ^^I think I answered my own question ^^, but I hope @sdde4n will respond anyway. (And I hope SOMEONE can explain when and why I'd ever want to turn the PCS on.)

I'm still new on the forum and finding my way around, so I apologize if this isn't the best place to put this - but I found something that confirms that it IS in fact possible to program the truck so that the PCS stays off after each ignition cycle, until intentionally turned on by the driver. Here is a Toyota service bulletin that actually provides instructions.

So for those of you with the added issue of a lift kit who are being compelled to sign a disclaimer in order to get the warranty work done, I take this to mean that the act of re-programming the system isn't in itself a thing that would devalue your vehicles. It's a simple, reversible, setting toggle.

Instead, what they're likely saying is that future sonar calibration (ie.: "aiming") issues on a lifted (or lowered) truck will no longer be considered as a warranty issue. Importantly, it doesn't even sound, from the notice a few pages up, like they won't do the work if something goes wrong - just that they won't pay for it. Which is entirely reasonable.

Adding a lift kit devalues a vehicle in most of the secondary market, but that's obvious and is something you go into with full awareness, and is a whole other issue anyway.

What I DON'T know (and perhaps @Yotatech can answer) is if the disclaimer is void once you restore the truck to it's factory configuration. I'm not a lawyer so take this with a grain of salt, but I think the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act would apply here. Hopefully Toyota's legal team has done their homework and realizes that they'd have a hard time arguing in court that a grille-mounted sensor is MORE likely to get moisture in it after it's been elevated higher above puddles and creeks and other actual sources of moisture. It would be interesting to see a copy of the actual disclaimer, if anyone has one to share.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    ryanwgregg likes this.
  14. May 21, 2019 at 6:51 AM
    sdde4n

sdde4n New Member

Member:
    People's Republic of California
    Vehicle:
    2018 CrewMax - Sierra Romeo Cinco
    Leitner Designs ACS
    In short, yes, this is how it's been functioning since they did the "fix". That said, I've only driven it about 100 miles since then (it's not my DD).

15. May 21, 2019 at 7:15 AM
    Hammy68

Hammy68 Peak Bagger

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Tundra TRD Off Road Crewmax
    RC 1.75” Front, 1” Rear, TRD Dual Exhaust, Nitto RGs 275/70/18, TRD Center Caps, Rugged Cover Hard Tonneau, Rhino Liner, LED interior/exterior upgrade
    My dealership performed the KOA and KOB fixes last week and although I signed the disclaimer for a lift and bigger tires, they did not bother to give me my truck back with the PCS set to off, knowing that I was just going to turn it right back on. The tech was going to show me how to turn it back on in the settings and then said screw it and just left it on so I wouldn’t have to.

16. May 21, 2019 at 10:26 AM
    LT75

LT75 New Member

Member:
    Saint Charles, IL
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Pro
    No mods yet
    They are trying to get off the hook for their bad design. Like I stated earlier. I’ve had at least 6 service appointments for 4 sensors, a camera, safety harnesses and 2 calibrations before I had my lift installed. No way am I signing that paper.

OR18TRD [OP] likes this.
  17. May 22, 2019 at 2:05 PM
    iamkeith

iamkeith New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 --> 2018
    I was just reading another thread and found this notice shared from another member who is a toyota service tech.

https://www.tundras.com/threads/poll-2018-tss-radar-precollision-problems.30411/page-3

Long story short, they WILL honor the warranty if your truck is returned to stock. On the other hand, it appears that it's not just lift kits which Toyota sees as a problem and which will prevent them from honoring warranty in the meantime. Other things include: OEM toyota grilles that didn't originally come with the truck's particular trim level; Oversize tires WITHOUT suspension modifications; leveling kits; aftermarket bumpers, especially with grille guards.

[​IMG]

18. May 22, 2019 at 3:01 PM
    ktmsmitty

ktmsmitty New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tundra SR5
    Coming REAL soon.............
    Same happens to me on curves. It bitched at me today about a mailbox on a curve. No braking tho. Also happens with cars coming in the opposite direction on curves.

19. May 23, 2019 at 10:42 AM
    offsetplayer2

offsetplayer2 New Member

Member:
    Woods and Fields, NC
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno CM 4WD
    Yep that's pretty much a daily thing with mine. It sees random things and it'll brake on curves. It's very common to look at the center screen when using cruise control and see the little bars appear as if you're approaching something, and see nothing out the front windshield.

ktmsmitty likes this.
  20. May 23, 2019 at 12:44 PM
    djhase

djhase New Member

Member:
    My 2019 I purchased a month ago came with PCS and LDA both turned off. I have not turned them on to try them out. I have tried the dynamic cruise and it seems to work. My Honda accord has a passive collision warning system (does not brake only signals you). It sees false positives from time to time. I like the passive system. I am not sold on an active system that brakes for me. I like to control my car not the computer. I, unlike 80% of the people that drive around me, pay attention to the road and what is around me and don't tailgate at 80mph.

21. May 23, 2019 at 12:51 PM
    LT75

LT75 New Member

Member:
    Saint Charles, IL
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Pro
    No mods yet
    PCS turns on every time you start the truck. You would need to turn it off every time you start it.

22. May 23, 2019 at 2:07 PM
    NCTundra18

NCTundra18 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Candler, NC
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Limited Crewmax
    TRD dual exhaust, Rough Country leveling kit
    20190522_171843.jpg I had mine in yesterday to have the 10,000 mile service and they wouldn't do the recall on mine because of the 1.75 leveling kit. I would have to sign this paperwork and turn the PCS on everytime i got in my truck. I can't stand to have a light on my dash so I'm just going to wait a while longer since mine only screws up when it rains really hard.

23. May 23, 2019 at 2:17 PM
    NCTundra18

NCTundra18 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Candler, NC
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Limited Crewmax
    TRD dual exhaust, Rough Country leveling kit
    Because it's not Toyota approved parts. I asked them what they were doing with the trucks the sell that are lifted and the guy said they are doing the same thing to them. You have to turn it on everytime.

24. May 23, 2019 at 3:26 PM
    RLHOK

RLHOK Keeper of the smoke.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Oklahoma, just like the musical, but no singing
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 TSS of road crew max cement.
    Rolling stock baby.....
    Toyota needs to open them up for sale to anyone who wants to buy one. So far from what I understand the only way to get the fox pro suspension is by vin.

25. May 23, 2019 at 3:33 PM
    djhase

djhase New Member

Member:
    No its off and stays off. At least that's what the info center in the middle of the dash says and it doesn't warn me when approaching a pedestrian or a vehicle.

26. May 23, 2019 at 4:37 PM
    r1-superstar

r1-superstar Kailua Boy

Member:
    First Name:
    DB
    UTAH
    Vehicle:
    2018 TUNDRA CM SR5 TRD SPORT 4x4 MGM
    They are working on a patch for my truck since it'
    I was in for my 10k service the other day. My service advisor told me the same thing. They are working on a patch for my truck since it's lifted

27. May 23, 2019 at 4:50 PM
    RLHOK

RLHOK Keeper of the smoke.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Oklahoma, just like the musical, but no singing
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 TSS of road crew max cement.
    Rolling stock baby.....
    Low miles take offs sure.

28. May 23, 2019 at 7:48 PM
    djhase

djhase New Member

Member:
    Well I feel stupid. You are correct PCS is on. I was looking at the wrong icon in the dash info center. DOH!!!!

29. May 23, 2019 at 7:59 PM
    atrinh15

atrinh15 New Member

Member:
    495-93 area
    Vehicle:
    2018 PLATNIUM White CM
    Ready lift 3/2 Fuel Mavericks 22x9.5 Nitti Terra Grappler G2 - 285/55/22 K/N air filter TRD sway bar SS Fisher plow Mesh grill painted to match Rear bumper painted white
    This is crazy. Im taking my truck next week to get the light turned off. I hope they dont give me the run around considering we do a lot of work with them.

30. May 24, 2019 at 5:26 AM
    midnight

midnight New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    GPT MS
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM TRD Sport 4X4
    TRD Dual exhaust TRD cold air intake LED interior/exterior lighting TRD PRO Skid plate Driver side grab handle TRD Pro Shocks (BILSTIENS) Alea Custom Leather Seats JL Audio System by JRT Tundra Door Sill protectors Color matched door handles
    Well, I have had 2017 TRD PRO shocks bought at Toyota and installed at Toyota for about a year now on my 2018 TRD SPORT. The y would not perform the recall due to out of spec for that truck. Completely crazy!! I have no issue with the PCS/radar Cruz but I am pissed that when I buy all Toyota parts and installed by a Toyota tech they can’t figure it out. I am not signing a waiver and will ride this out. My dealer told me that big Toyota has to come up with a solution due to all the lifts/levels issues. Also I never was told or signed a disclosure when I bought my truck in Dec 2017 that stated I could not alter ride height.

OR18TRD [OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top