1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear sway bar...worth it?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Pudge, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Oct 2, 2018 at 4:37 PM
    danz75

danz75 New Member

Member:
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    18' Cement SR5
    OEM LED headlights, Rigid SAE foglights, Go Rhino RB10 running boards, ARE Classic CX
    I installed one a few weeks ago and didn't find the ride any stiffer. Cornering on the other hand was more stable with less roll. I don't go off road much so have no experience there.

2. Oct 2, 2018 at 7:12 PM
    belanger9

belanger9 New Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road Inferno
    A bunch
    I think it depends on the type of road if it rides stiffer or not. For potholes I don't notice much if any difference. But there's one concrete section that's essentially like washboarding, and is up and down like crazy for about 10 km (bad road bed construction), and there I definitely notice it rides worse. Having more connection between the axle and the frame allows more of the bouncing into the cab. Looking at the truck bed in the mirror is crazy on this section, it's like my truck is twerking it's bouncing so much lol

doggiecareman and Pudge[OP] like this.
  3. Oct 2, 2018 at 8:38 PM
    Boerseun

Boerseun MGM XP-Series

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota Florida
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM XP-Series CrewMax 4x4
    Correct about not a stiffer ride. The way the sway bar is connected, it is moving up and down freely with bushings - no tension in any parts when both sides move up and down at the same time. It is only when cornering that one side will drop and then put tension on it to distribute the weight. Hitting a pothole will limit the wheel's travel, making for a more stable ride, but not really stiffer.

nk1794 and Pudge[QUOTED][OP] like this.
  4. Oct 2, 2018 at 8:41 PM
    Boerseun

Boerseun MGM XP-Series

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota Florida
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM XP-Series CrewMax 4x4
    I can't see how washboarding can cause the ride to be stiffer. Both wheels move up and down at the same time. The sway bar will move along freely in that situation. There will not be any tension in it to stiffen the ride.

5. Oct 3, 2018 at 7:38 PM
    belanger9

belanger9 New Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    A bunch
    The wheels have another connection point to the frame so the motion of the rear wheels is felt more after putting on the sway bar. It's the only road that I feel more of a rougher ride in, not even the roads with potholes. It's also not washboarding as it is a concrete and asphalt road, but at 120 km/h it bounces the truck so much I can barely see at the end of it. The longer the wheelbase is the worse the shaking is, in an unloaded F350 I start chattering my teeth if I don't lock my jaw. Luckily this road is getting redone soon so the problem should be fixed.

Boerseun[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Oct 3, 2018 at 7:48 PM
    Tundra Fan

Tundra Fan Got 17's?

Member:
    First Name:
    Toby
    Nor Cal (Placer Co.)
    Vehicle:
    2013 Platinum-SOLD 2022 Sequoia, Celestial Silver Metallic
    I painted mine with black spray paint. I didn't want that bright red under there. :)

7. Oct 3, 2018 at 10:53 PM
    Inquiringone

Inquiringone -Blue N Blac- an a little chrome

Member:
    First Name:
    Ter
    NorCal 408
    Vehicle:
    U can take the guy out of the garage, But U can’t take the garage out of the guy
    Not many yet, mostly stock.
    Worth it for high speed cornering in the concrete jungle. Of road no so much. :burnrubber:

8. Oct 4, 2018 at 1:37 AM
    ZPMAN

ZPMAN 2nd place is the 1st looser

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Platinum Supercharged
    4" lift, 35s, Magnuson Supercharger
    Most definitely a must do for the rear for a daily driver, I do not have or need the front sway because of the 1" spacers for my front lift that has stiffened up the front. After the supercharger corners creep up on you a little faster and strongly recommend F/R sways along with an upgraded brake system for the school bus with a rocket on it.

9. Oct 16, 2018 at 6:12 PM
    Islandboy_671

Islandboy_671 #gotte'y sibesa-hu

Member:
    First Name:
    Toby
    Lacey, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 Tundra TRD Inferno
    8" ReadyLift w/ Bilstein Coil-overs and Rear Shocks, BAM 8" Exhaust, Stillen CAI, Coach-Builder Steering Kit and 3" Rear Shackles, Tech12Volts Remote Start and JBL speaker Upgrade system, Pioneer DMH-WT8600NEX HU, 3W Liners window mod, Morimoto XB LED Headlights, RC 30" Light Bar, RC 2" x4 cube LED's, HRS Smoked Sequential Tail Lights, Mammoth Guards Kryptek Gap Guards, Fab Fours Matrix Front Bumper, Fab Fours Vengeance Rear Bumper...
    Just installed the TRD RSB I purchased. Feels lovely compared without it. 8D0AC550-23F9-4A9C-BD48-8871AA4646C7.jpg

10. Oct 18, 2018 at 8:31 PM
    Midnightcrew

Midnightcrew New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2018 Crewmax SR5 Version 2.0
    Just picked my up RSB yesterday and installed it today!!! The install was easy.
    Test drove it and I like it!!!!

EE029FFE-7EC7-4C8C-8566-7DCC43078D9B.jpg

Islandboy_671 and Rica25 like this.
  11. Oct 18, 2018 at 9:06 PM
    Pudge

Pudge [OP] Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    Did you paint it or have it powdercoated?

Rica25 likes this.
  12. Oct 18, 2018 at 10:20 PM
    Midnightcrew

Midnightcrew New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2018 Crewmax SR5 Version 2.0
    I used some gloss black spray paint.

Pudge[OP] and Rica25 like this.
  13. Apr 23, 2019 at 6:43 AM
    ccress83

ccress83 Be A Good Human

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Cleveland Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tundra CM TRD Off-Road Limited
    AFE Dry Drop in Filter, Morimoto XB LED Fogs , LED Taillights, Morimoto D2S retro w/profile HI-Lens LED Brights, 3/1 LRO Level, Dirty Deeds 8', TRD Rear Sway Bar,
    Ok I installed mine last week, haven't really noticed much of a difference but haven't driven on many curved roads or the highway yet, but I did take a turn this morning on the way to work on a decent curve and my Traction Control light went nuts. Now I have a 3/1 LRO Level kit and have taken some turns on an off ramp a little hot before the RSB and have had it go off but it hasn't stayed on like ive read in other posts about after a level its possible for the wire to get stretched. Im pretty sure mine is still good. But I would have thought that the RSB would have helped with the traction control and keep the rear end from rolling and setting off the light. Am I correct on this? Or do I still need a zero point calibration to fix this? Thanks.

14. Apr 23, 2019 at 6:58 PM
    belanger9

belanger9 New Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    A bunch
    I don't think it's changed how the tires slip from acceleration for me either. The way I know the RSB has helped was taking corners with little to no throttle - without it I could do 60 km/h before the roll was too much, now it's up around 80 km/h before I feel like I'm close to slipping.

Rica25 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top