1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Suspension help/input requested!

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by SouthWestGA, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Feb 12, 2020 at 8:19 AM
    SouthWestGA

SouthWestGA [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra CrewMAX and 2014 Nissan NV3500 Passenger
    This forum gets more traffic than the Sequoia forum so maybe you guys can help me out

Here are the vehicle details

2008 Sequoia Limited 5.7 2wd
    Without Air Suspension
    223,000 miles original everything
    305/50/20 tires on BBS Rims

I replaced the front struts,with complete 2018 Tundra Yellow Bilstein takeoffs this past Sunday. They had approximately 10,000 miles on them and have been taken off and in storage since 2018.

Unfortunately I did NOT take any Before measurements. The original front struts said “Tokico” and were the black colored ones.

The fronts now measure approximately 37 inches with a tape measure from ground to fender edge

The Rears are stock and untouched as of right now. They are measuring approximately 36 and 1/8 inches from ground to fender edge

I have planned on replacing the rear shocks as well,to match the Yellow Bilstein’s in the front. I believe they are the 4600 series? I may be wrong

Reading on the bilstein website about 4600/5100 shocks, I see the following info:

Rear Shocks:

Series: 4600

Extended Length (IN): 18.66 Inch
    Compressed Length (IN): 12.59 Inch

Rear Shocks:

Series: 5100

Rear Extended Length(in): 19.29

Rear Collapsed Length(in): 13.71

Now that being said,will I need the 5100 be able to make up that additional lift needed to make things more level,or do I need something else? Would the 4600 make any difference? Perhaps the front being new is placing strain on the old rears,and a simple shock replacement would give some space back??

i did read a few threads on rear spring replacement and spacers but that is getting more involved than I’m comfortable with.

Right now the rear is sagging compared to the front and visually it is VERY noticeable

I have read that the front should settle down after a few weeks of driving a 1/4 to 1/2 inch or so,but I wouldn’t expect it to settle more than that.

I don’t have to get everything “perfect” but the Sequoia looks,drives,and rides like the front is pointing “up”

Any input or experience would be great!

2. Feb 13, 2020 at 9:12 PM
    SC_TRD

SC_TRD Big BASTRD 4x4 Enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Round Rock, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2012 CrewMax & 2008 Sequoia
    Hey,

Can you post a picture of your truck so we can see what the front vs. rear is looking like?

But unfortunately from what I have read, it sounds as if your rear coils may just be a little “tired” after the 220k miles on them. Typically speaking the rear of the vehicle should sit either higher than the front (to allow for increased payload) or sit level with the front.

To point out, the shocks in the rear will not provide any kind of lift. Since they are not coilovers, they are merely a “dampening” mechanism to create a smoother ride than if you were just riding on springs... the only way you could get lift would be if somehow the shock in the rear was somehow reaching max extension and acting like a limit strap, but the shock would also likely have broken by now if they was the case.

If I was in your position, I would buy the Bilstein 5100s as they are for 0-1” of lift. Meaning they are good if you don’t end up lifting your rear end. Then once you install them which is pretty darned easy, you can see how the ride is. Then if you do eventually want to throw a spacer in, you wouldn’t have to replace the shock if you kept the spacer 1” or less.

Ps. I have my old spacers in the garage I could sell for a nominal fee +shipping and even an OME spacer to assist with driver side lean f interested.

let me know what your thinking.

cheers

Products Discussed in

To Top