1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear SUA Axle wrap question w/ Supercharger+LT Front

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by bandit, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Apr 17, 2016 at 9:56 AM
    bandit

bandit [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Supercharged Mazzulla Long Travel Rock Warrior
    Duh Tundra
    Hey guys, I'm having trouble finding either; direction or answers on axle wrap with the supercharged tundras. Information with solidified reasoning.

Truck in question is my 2011 supercharged rock warrior. I Already have the full LT in the front. Now it's time to do the rear.

My question with the rear is; what solution or aid is there with the SUA setup, not to eliminate axle wrap. But to aid/reduce/control it so that it's not as bad as some of the members here have described about. Or at least to keep it from snapping axles without having to baby foot it everywhere.

My slightly self educated .02 cents believes the propensity to snap an axle or cause damage would be much greater with the supercharged tundras.

Another question is "should it be a priority level concern for me when doing the rear?"

I come from a road racing background so I'm not a total newb when it comes to suspension, valving, hi/low speed rebound, high speed/low speed compression, shim stacks etc. That was 2 wheels though and this is 4 with leaf packs lol.

From what I've gathered on the Total Chaos tundra, They used stiffer springs to help aid/control the axle wrap. I could be completely wrong with my findings but that's why I'm asking you guys for your input.

Again, I'm not trying to eliminate it. And yes, don't floor it from the line. Already got that part haha.

"linking the rear i don't see as a feasible option for me as a DD. Unless I engineered up some type of quick disconnect drop pin style sway bar/limiter to make it streetable without 3 wheeling it."

Made separate thread from the build thread because I feel there is any solid searchable info on this topic.

Suggestions and feedback of all kinds please!

2. Apr 17, 2016 at 10:26 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    A dual triangulated rear suspension can make the rear feel "spongy", but might I recommend some other designs like:

Single triangulated lower, straight upper. I run this style, and to be quite honest, most rock racers do as well. These are rigs hitting 100+ mph in the Johnson Valley area for King of the Hammers race every year.

Run a radius arm setup. They work well, but a panhard bar is needed.

You can run a rear seat bar like the curry anti-rock and never have to disconnect anything. That is the route I would go.

Axle wrap has cause so many drive train problems in my little sport of rock crawling, I won't even go with someone that has rear leafs on anymore. You can also try a traction bar. If set up properly, they work great.

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/mre-tb500?seid=srese1&gclid=COHrgLyYlswCFQ-raQodZecJpw

3. Apr 17, 2016 at 11:12 AM
    dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds Exhaust Fabricator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    USA
    Vehicle:
    2003 and 2013 tundra
    more than I can list here
    You'll need something. Just soa on my supercharged 2013 and deavers wrapped up bad enough that the u joints are mushroomed.

I built a single Trac bar for my 2003. But I dunno how to post pics yet. Haha.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  4. Apr 18, 2016 at 6:58 AM
    jberry813

jberry813 The Mad Scientist Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum, 2012 Tacoma, 2007 T4R
    Metric shit ton of parts
    Leafs are for trees. You will never get leafs to keep up with the engine.

That said, setting the pinion angle 2* down at ride height will help some, but you still have way too much engine to drive around without skinny pedal discipline.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  5. Apr 19, 2016 at 10:04 AM
    bandit

bandit [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Duh Tundra
    Thanks for your input guys. The company thats doing the new front LT kit and doing the rear has said that there's good results from a custom progressive leave leaf pack "13 leafs I believe" on the supercharged tundras. I'll get the part number from them if anyone has any interest in it next time I talk to them and will post pics along the way in the build thread. Also the TC Long Travel Kit will be up for sale soon. It's been on the truck for about a month and Used once off road if anyone has any interest in it.

6. Apr 19, 2016 at 10:09 AM
    bandit

bandit [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Duh Tundra
    Shooting a PM over to you! Once I figure out how to send a PM -_-

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016

Products Discussed in

To Top