1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear gear replacement

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by Wib91, Jul 10, 2024.

1. Jul 10, 2024 at 6:49 AM
    Wib91

Wib91 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2011 tundra sr5
    Hello All , I’m new to the forum so I hope I’m posting this in the correct place. My 2011 tundra sr5 has had a humm in the rear and has now gotten very loud at 30-50 mph. Just got under it and rolled the driveshaft back and forth
    and it has quite a bit of slack and you can hear it clinch in the housing. I’m mechanically inclined but never replaced any gears in any type of vehicle. Is there any do’s and donts ? Any special tools ? Would I be a wiser person to let someone else do it ? And suggestions would be great. Thank you

2. Jul 16, 2024 at 12:37 PM
    Cruiserpilot

Cruiserpilot New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Ladysmith
    Vehicle:
    2010 5.7 RCSB 4WD
    To me a couple of decisions since it sounds like you’ve found the issue. Replace with just a factory gear rebuild. I’m not a fan of the LS in these things. There are places like Yukon Gear in Everett, Wa who will sell complete 3rds built. I’d look at adding an Auburn LS, which has been recommended from a couple of guys here that I’ve read about. If going real offroad, but expensive option is e locker or air locker.
    If you have a shop and torque wrench and familiar with it, I don’t think swapping a third is a big endeavour but if pulling axles etc anticipate new rear wheel bearings and seals too.

Is there an online FSM on this forum to download for 2nd Gens? FSM - Factory Service Manual

Products Discussed in

To Top