1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear end info

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by Jeffwaldo, May 24, 2023.

1. May 24, 2023 at 10:28 PM
    Jeffwaldo

Jeffwaldo [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2st. Gen Tundra 4x4
    Hey everyone, I have a 2007 SR5 TUNDRA 4X4. It has a 3" suspension lift with 35" tires. About a year ago I had an off road incident with hitting the passenger rear wheel into a huge ditch. I was at a high rate of speed. Not sure how fast but enough to completely snap my FUEL rim in half, deploy my drivers side airbag, shift my rear end and drop my driveline. Pic below is the day after it happened. This is a list of the things I have replaced on it while it sat in my driveway for 3 months.....

1. New drive line.
    2. New brake calipers and rotors
    3. New Icon leaf springs & rear shocks
    4. New bump stops
    5. New Rim, and tires
    6. New seat belt & airbag
    7. Had airbag module reset

I have been driving the truck for a couple of months now on a daily basis. 2 things are happening that leads me to believe damage has gone further than my eyes originally thought. First thing is that the traction control alarm sounds any time I am on a moderately windy road. For instance, I'll need to take a 35mph 90° turn at about 10-15 mph for it not to sound. NOTE: If I take the same turn while in 4WD at 35mph the alarm WILL NOT sound. Second issue that I am only recently beginning to notice is that I am getting a dramatic inside wear on both of my rear tires.
    I love this truck so I would be willing to put some work into it (within reason of course). Just want to know everyone's thoughts on this.... New axles, new rear end, or do I need to "throw in the towel"? Let me know. Thanks for reading.20220514_104720.jpg

gosolo likes this.
  2. May 24, 2023 at 10:41 PM
    gosolo

gosolo You Don’t Know Who I Am But I Know Where You Live

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Super Fine Super White Pro
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Alcan leaf springs and got rid of the interior chrome
    That’s some serious damage. Have you been able to confirm your frame was not tweaked? The impact that caused your troubles could have also bent the frame.

3. May 24, 2023 at 11:04 PM
    Jeffwaldo

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2st. Gen Tundra 4x4
    I didn't really think it was necessary for rear end damage because seems to me like the rear of the frame essentially just bounces on top of the rear end. Not much bonds them together other than 4 U bolts and 2 shocks. I feel like those would break way before it could ever bend the frame. Front end damage would be a way different story. Now I could be very wrong about all of this. It's kind of just what I gathered when rebuilding all of it. Another reason that didn't cross my mind was because all of the brand new parts lined up and went back together fairly easy and it actually drives well, no vibration(other that from the tires) or anything.

4. May 25, 2023 at 3:52 AM
    tmac58star

tmac58star New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Black 1st generation Tundra SR5 Access Cab
    Slow down...ditches are for drainage!

5. May 25, 2023 at 8:29 AM
    gosolo

gosolo You Don’t Know Who I Am But I Know Where You Live

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Super Fine Super White Pro
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Alcan leaf springs and got rid of the interior chrome
    Agree with you that what you say makes sense. When you have looked at all the logical places and found nothing, you look elsewhere, that’s all I am saying.

6. May 25, 2023 at 8:41 AM
    Backslider

Backslider Thirsty...

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tooele, UT
    Vehicle:
    2022 GMC Sierra AT4 L5P - 2017 4runner SR5P - 2023 Tesla Model 3 LR
    Are your rear tires wearing evenly? Is your rear axle aligned properly relative to the front wheels? I'm just throwing ideas out there, but if the rear axle is misaligned you would see a variance in wheel speed around turns. I believe the traction control alarm is disabled or the variance trigger is increased with 4WD active.. It may be worth checking center front hub to rear on both sides.

ETA** Sorry, overlooked the tire wear comment in your OP.

gosolo likes this.
  7. May 25, 2023 at 2:44 PM
    Jeffwaldo

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2st. Gen Tundra 4x4
    Yes I'd say both tires are wearing fairly evenly, and the wear is on the inside for both tires. As for the rear end being aligned... I didn't know that was even a thing. The way it's designed, leaf springs can only attach to the rear end in a particular place, I don't believe that can be adjusted. Maybe I'm not understanding. Are you talking about each individual rear axle has its own adjustment? I appreciate the feedback.

8. May 25, 2023 at 2:54 PM
    Backslider

Backslider Thirsty...

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tooele, UT
    Vehicle:
    2022 GMC Sierra AT4 L5P - 2017 4runner SR5P - 2023 Tesla Model 3 LR
    There is a rear-end alignment - it's typically not adjustable. But with the damage you sustained, yours may have been....adjusted.

I know that when I replaced the panhard bars on my 4runner there was quite a bit of adjustability in my rear axle position and I had to take measurements and precautions to ensure it didn't shift. It would have been possibe to move the entire axle forward or back, or to skew it by adjusting only one side too far or back. I think measuring it yourself or going to an alignment shop and stating your concerns and specifically asking for a precise measurement would be prudent.

9. May 26, 2023 at 11:34 AM
    KeepOnTruckin

KeepOnTruckin New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Vehicle:
    2010 4.6 4x4 Bare Bones
    I used to work at a frame shop and ya, frames and axles housings get bent from this type of impact.

A tape measure can be used to check the frame for squareness by forming a big X from like features. It should be within an 1/8" inch when not bending it around things like the exhaust or fuel tank. I suggest you could measure from the springs front perch as it locates the axle. Be symmetrical as possible.

Has anyone followed it down the road and mentioned crab walking?

You might also get it on level flat concrete and throw some jack stands under the center section of the frame and measure to the ground near the end of the frame on both sides.

As for the axle housing, I would bet it bent it adding negative camber and tow-out. These two combined would wear the inside edge.

Take your tape measure and measure the front and back from rim to rim edge at the same height from the ground without deflecting the tape by springs and exhaust. Ideally, you get the same numbers but I bet the front is wider than the back.

A frame shop can correct both of these issues.

Easy first step if measuring isn't your thing, have a four wheel alignment check done. Don't waste money doing any action as they can't fix it but post up the info here.

GL

Last edited: May 26, 2023
    Jeffwaldo[OP] likes this.
  10. May 27, 2023 at 4:32 PM
    CTB Mike

CTB Mike It's RED? My rods and cones must be screwed up!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2011 Red Rock Warrior
    A little late for that advice!

11. May 27, 2023 at 5:40 PM
    tmac58star

tmac58star New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Black 1st generation Tundra SR5 Access Cab
    Sad, but true.

12. May 28, 2023 at 12:27 AM
    Jeffwaldo

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2st. Gen Tundra 4x4
    Thank you Randy, I appreciate all that info. I will get on it and let you know. Thanks again.

KeepOnTruckin likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top