1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Differential replacement at 100,000 miles

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by TundraandJD, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Jun 19, 2016 at 6:41 PM
    TundraandJD

TundraandJD [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra TRD 4X4 Limited
    My rear differential went out for a total replacement at a little over 100,000 miles. It started with a skipping while turning. Replaced the oil regularly and then when noise started for inspection and showed no chips or anything unusual. Inspection of the differential, gears were totally stripped. Asked Toyota and they indicated it was not normal, and no recalls. The only major thing replaced was the differential, but disappointed. Nothing on the internet or forums stating an issue with the limited slip (I think) differentials. Until a buddy driving his 2006 Tundra informed me his truck's differential went out at the exact miles! We both do not "abuse" our trucks with only light duty and towing a boat.
    Just think it is too coincidental. Is this normal for a 1st series Tundra to have problems with the differential?

2. Jun 19, 2016 at 6:48 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra sr5 4x4 stepside....
    yep bank account is running low from it..
    I have 145xxx on mine. No problems at all. 2003 here.

If limited slips are in the pumpkins you must use a limited slip oil.. if the wrong oil was used or put in by the tech wrong the wear would be disaster for the unit. I have seen not just Toyota with this problem its all of them, when the wrong oil is introduced..

Products Discussed in

To Top