1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear diff locker: Do they make an E Locker for Tundras?

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by JTP, Jun 3, 2017.

1. May 29, 2018 at 6:48 AM
    CaptainJohnnySR5

CaptainJohnnySR5 Tundra Lifer Now!

Member:
    First Name:
    Capt Johnny
    Winter Garden Fl
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver Tundra 5.7 SR5 2WD DC TRD Upgraded. 2017 SR5 TSS Off Road 4x4 DC Blazing Blue. 2019 1794 White TRD Off Road 4x4 CM
    I am totally addicted to Tundra Life now!
    THANK YOU JESUS!!! THERES HOPE FOR MY 2WD!!!! Thank you for all of this great information I desperately needed for my new to me Tundra! I couldnt find a locker to save my life for my 2012 2wd 5.7 and was about to put it back up for sale in a month.

Mr Swervlin likes this.
  2. May 29, 2018 at 3:47 PM
    Mr Swervlin

Mr Swervlin "Yes....In Dee Face"

Member:
    O H I O
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver Sky limited TRD Crewmax
    Line X bed liner Window tint AVS in channel vent visors Paint protection wrap Husky front & rear floor liner ESP Crewmax rear storage Console organizer and tray TRD shift knob TRD rear sway bar Thule exporter pro 500 Color matched door handles, side mirrors, and grill surround VLEDs interior/reverse/cargo Driver side grab handle 10" BAmuffler Trd pro headlights
    Yes!!!........If I was rolling around in a 2wd this would be a must have. Good luck and happy wheeling.

JTP[OP] and CaptainJohnnySR5 like this.
  3. Jun 10, 2018 at 11:58 PM
    JTP

JTP [OP] The Big Black Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Sterling, Alaska (Formerly DFW Texas)
    Vehicle:
    The Big Black Moose
    Ive been testing mine out just in 2x4 mode on some stuff that I would normally dial up 4x4. Works GREAT!

CaptainJohnnySR5 likes this.
  4. Jun 11, 2018 at 4:20 AM
    CaptainJohnnySR5

CaptainJohnnySR5 Tundra Lifer Now!

Member:
    First Name:
    Capt Johnny
    Winter Garden Fl
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver Tundra 5.7 SR5 2WD DC TRD Upgraded. 2017 SR5 TSS Off Road 4x4 DC Blazing Blue. 2019 1794 White TRD Off Road 4x4 CM
    I am totally addicted to Tundra Life now!
    Thank you for the update! I am definitely getting it and have set up accounts with so many vendors and have been buying things left n right for it. All that is left is the Pro LSD Locker (possible I may add the 4:88 gear), Long tube Headers,TRD cat back Exhaust, Nitto Trail Grapplers 35x11:50x18 and Bully Dog.

I just have 2 major restorations to finish first for customers (Due by July) then Its back to doing my Tundra!!!! Any help with fuel economy? This thing is a gas pig. I have a light foot.

5. Dec 15, 2019 at 5:43 AM
    GasGasTXT

GasGasTXT New Member

Member:
    Northeast WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Rock Warrior
    Every year I do a fresh search to see whether there's a Tundra e-locker on the market, or a manually/mechanically actuated locker, or perhaps a Torsen type LSD. I contemplate installing ARBs.

And ultimately every time I return to the same conclusion.. that, with great tires (and chains where needed), the Tundra in its OEM configuration (Rock Warrior, i.e. TRD with 17" forged wheels and 10 ply tires) has served me really well. I've only had to dig it out twice that I can remember, due to high centering. 100K miles is in the rearview, tons of towing (70% of miles?), tons of offroad towing. Tons of offroading. Recovering other vehicles. The OEM system that brakes a spinning wheel is pretty effective. Perhaps it would be a problem with a gutless vehicle, but the 5.7 is not exactly short on power.

The truck has still never been to a shop for anything but maintenance or accessories. The legendary Tundra reliability, yep, living it.

I just ordered nice King suspension (2.5" remote reservoirs) and UCAs from Camburg. Not lifting the truck. I like the OEM stance for towing stability, railing the corners, and keeping those modest driveline angles. This comes at the price of having to be very careful in rocky terrain, but I think for my use pattern it makes sense.

The truck's only weakness is poor fuel efficiency, but that may well be the price for reliability. The start-stop mechanisms, the cylinder shutoff stuff, tends to be a disaster. Prius can do start-stop reliably because it uses the strong electric motor to properly pre-spin the gas engine to generate oil pressure before it adds fuel and spark. The non-hybrids that just abuse the starter motor to squeeze out some EPA numbers, not so much.

I got a dongle for my Odyssey to disable the cylinder shutoff, which is the known weakness of that generation (mine's 2012 5-speed AT), and I'm getting better mileage than the EPA rating. Love the Ody for things that don't require Tundra's unique talents.

IsaiahCanada and rebmo like this.
  6. Dec 21, 2019 at 8:08 AM
    Failure2comply

Failure2comply Master HVAC Tech

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra Crewmax Limited w/factory 20" wheels
    Trailer brake. Limousine tint in rear windows. Ultra Gauge "Blue". Toyota bed mat and bug deflector.
    Thanks for bringing this back, great information and options for an already worthy truck. My 2005 Tacoma AC TRD/Off-Road 4.0ltr V6 only got 15-16mpg, so the 13.8-14mpg was not a big hit. But I know that the 5.7 will give me the power when needed. Our old 2002 Avalon XLS still gets 28mpg highway, so it gets the daily duty. It only has 170k so it is only half way through its engine life. Gotta love a Toyota!

7. Feb 20, 2020 at 8:08 AM
    Wahayes

Wahayes Older I get the wiser I realize my dad was

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Vehicle:
    2017 tundra limited
    325/60r20 falken at3w, 2.25 dobinsons ,20x9 +20 fuel torque wheels, leer xr100, bmc
    I have found different geographic areas tend to have VERY different opinions on 4wp. When I lived down south specifically san antonio they were highly regarded. Now that I live in utah not so much, they seem to have the Walmart reputation here. I think it's because in the south at least in my experience we didnt have many specialized offroad shops so 4wp was the go to and they had a good rep because of it. Where I live now custom offroad shops are abundant and anyone worth their weight wouldn't be working at 4wp.

1UPPER[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top