1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Random Alternator?

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by daveyjonesjr, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Jun 30, 2020 at 10:57 AM
    daveyjonesjr

daveyjonesjr [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi and thanks for this forum!
    So I was getting ready to go on a camping trip tomorrow and will be pulling a trailer with my 2006 v8 Tundra with 130,000 miles. Just as I got home from work yesterday there was an odd whine from the engine. When I started it this morning the engine had the whine and the battery light was on. The battery was new in August last year. I researched getting a new 130 amp alternator in town and decided I could pull the old out and put in an after market one and still go camping. (a remanufactured one would have to be ordered) When I went to move the truck the battery light was off and the whine was gone! I turned on the lights, fan, flashers and wipers and still no whine. The voltage readings are:
    Idle: 14.02
    idle with lights etc: 13.9
    engine off: 12.69
    Now I'm Hesitating to change the alternator as I know its a nasty job on this truck.
    Opinions? Could the noise and light come from a battery that needed charged from a lot of shut downs and starts?
    thanks!
    Dave

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  2. Jun 30, 2020 at 1:45 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    Only way to find out is take a chance on a new battery, but from others with the same symptoms in the past their Alternator was the culprit. I’d stay the course on Denso Reman’d versus aftermarket if that needs replacing.

daveyjonesjr[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top