1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ram Sales UP! Tundra Down :(

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by TXMiamiFan, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Jul 10, 2019 at 6:02 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    That pretty much sums it up.

2. Jul 10, 2019 at 6:15 AM
    Hammerdog

Hammerdog YCMTSUP

Member:
    First Name:
    Robbie
    Louisa VA
    Vehicle:
    2018 tundra sport crew max
    Tint Bed cover Red Tow Hooks TRD Intake 7 inch BDS 22x12’s 35 Toyo’s Rigid ditch lights RC light bar in bottom grille One bad ass stereo
    Yea, but Toyota did try to fix most of them, they didn’t have to do anything, warranty is warranty. They stepped up and tried to do something on most of the vehicles, no one else does anything.

02goes and equin like this.
  3. Jul 10, 2019 at 6:22 AM
    HBdirtbag

HBdirtbag New Member

Member:
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 limited cm

one of my sales guys just got one too, gave him $10K off MSRP. The truck is NICE

MotoTundra[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Jul 10, 2019 at 7:29 AM
    Outbound

Outbound SSEM #2.5, Token AmeriCanadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2022 CrewMax TRD Off Road, MGM of course.
    This is fair. I'll concede you the point of people liking different things and having differnet experiences. Ram sells a ton of trucks in my town, largely because they'll slash prices and the two dealerships and Fiat financing are notorious for approving anyone with a pulse. That could also be a pretty big reason for their boost in numbers.

I think however, alot of the people here drive Toyota Tundras because we've owned the other brands and haven't had good luck.

Between myself and The Woman, we've had all Big 3 in our driveway at some point. It's well known I'll crap all over Ford *spit* given the slightest chance. I have very very good reason to do so. The 2011 GMC Sierra I bought new was a great truck. I wish I still had it. The Woman had a 2009 Ram 1500 at one point. Other than being a total pig on fuel, she didn't really have any major issues with it.

The Woman's uncle is a sales manager at a Ram dealership. When I offloaded the Ford *spit*, I called him up to see what he could hook me up with since Rams are pretty popular with my coworkers, the pricing was pretty good and they looked nice. He flat out refused to sell me a Ram. He said he would never sell a Ram truck or any Chrysler product to a family member because he knows how poorly built they are. He showed me some recall and warranty numbers from the dealership. I can't post them here due to privileged info, but let's just say it's unbelievable.

He basically put it like this: "You got what, $10K off the marked price for your Ford? $6K or $7K off the price of your GM? Toyota won't budge more than a grand or two off their price. I can drop $15 - 20K off the Ram and still make money. Which one do you think is actually worth the price?" I think that says alot. He himself drives a GMC 3500HD diesel and won't even take the dealership demo Ram he's entitled to for free.

My coworkers are for the most part still happy with their Rams. It's not uncommon though for one of them to drive to work in a loaner because their under 5 year old truck is in the shop again. I wish I could like them. I love the looks of the Tundra but the Rams really do look sharp. I just could never buy one having gotten a behind the scenes look at them.

Boerseun, equin, g6t9ed and 5 others like this.
  5. Jul 10, 2019 at 7:40 AM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    Oh I'm with you. I likely won't buy anything other than Toyota or Honda vehicles in my lifetime. My issue is more so the people that are just shocked that someone would buy another truck and just shit all over anyone that does. I think there is a reason that the Tundra sales are suffering and I've heard a lot of people say they really don't like they way they look inside or out. I agree they make a better truck but when you haven't made any significant improvements in over a decade people are going to lose interest. So I just don't find it all that shocking like some do.

gdiep, g6t9ed, Black Wolf and 3 others like this.
  6. Jul 10, 2019 at 7:40 AM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    patiently waiting for Gen 4 Tundras :)

7. Jul 10, 2019 at 8:01 AM
    Jas4tundra

Jas4tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jasmeet
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra limited white
    Stock
    Right , Toyota truck may not look as good as ram or Ford, down time is minimal rather than being in shop all the time. My wife bought Jeep Wrangler in October 2018 because she always wanted one the time she has spent in shop getting little things fixed is absurd , same time i bought a tundra, been in dealership 3 times only for 5k maintenance.

8. Jul 10, 2019 at 8:19 AM
    Deuxlatch

Deuxlatch AirBus

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris (Latch)
    Tomball, Tx./Lafayette, La.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Super White Tundra CM
    TRD Supercharger, TRD Big Brake kit, MotoMetal wheels, Undercover Tonneau with dual swing out saddle bag tool boxes.
    JEEP = Just Empty Every Pocket

ColoradoTJ, Watt maker and Fiesta346 like this.
  9. Jul 10, 2019 at 8:22 AM
    Jas4tundra

Jas4tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jasmeet
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra limited white
    Stock

Lol yes , but what I can I do it was her dream car. She is repenting it now , she needs to live with it until I pay it off.

Deuxlatch[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Jul 10, 2019 at 8:23 AM
    phabej

phabej New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    NO LONGER HAVE A TUNDRA... Waiting
    18k of the top, then 30% depreciation after you drive off the lot. Lol no thanks.

Fiesta346 likes this.
  11. Jul 10, 2019 at 8:27 AM
    phabej

phabej New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    It's funny to think Ford f150 sells 1/2-mil+ trucks a year, every year for the past 10-40 years as top seller. But how come I don't see a f150 every other block?

I should shouldn't I? if the math sold was correct. But I see a bunch of tundras, old and new while driving around SE Washington to Seattle and back. I actually see more Highlanders and crv than I do f160. Go figure.

Fiesta346 likes this.
  12. Jul 10, 2019 at 8:30 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2002 4.7L RCLB 4X4 2007 5.7L RCSB 4X2
    Of the 3 big 'domestic trucks', I would buy a Ford before buying a GM truck or God forbid a Dodge.

10TundraSR5 likes this.
  13. Jul 10, 2019 at 8:50 AM
    blizz86

blizz86 New Member

Member:
    Im a toyota fan, but this type of "competition" is good. It will force toyota to finally revamp the tundra and keep our pockets even more empty. I'm excited to see what toyota brings to the table with the next generation. When the tundra as we know it today came out in 07 it was miles ahead of the rest of the market. Maybe a reliable hybrid system making its way to the BOF toyotas? With their new hybrid offerings on the rav4, people are getting 40+ real world mpg. The new TNGA platform is supposed to make its way to truck side some time in the near future. Tesla and rivian are on the way to rolling out their electric trucks - I have a feeling toyota will do something impressive.

For the people saying if you want MPGs get a prius - piss off. I know the tundra is not a gas sipper, i know its reliable, i know some of you are stuck in your old ways, i know someone of you are scared of electronics - but im sure you wouldn't mind getting 25% better fuel economy.

rebmo, gdiep and FirstGenVol like this.
  14. Jul 10, 2019 at 8:54 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2002 4.7L RCLB 4X4 2007 5.7L RCSB 4X2
    Toyota should reintroduce a lower tech / bigger balls version of the 2007 Tundra.

Max Power likes this.
  15. Jul 10, 2019 at 9:09 AM
    DvilleMafia

DvilleMafia New Member

Member:
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra SR5 4x4
    Have you ever been to TX?

equin likes this.
  16. Jul 10, 2019 at 9:32 AM
    parkerbows

parkerbows New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Vehicle:
    2017 crew max sr5 trd off road
    Firestone air ride air bags
    I had a 2103 ram 1500 with the 5.7. Just traded it in and got a 2017 sr5 crew cab 5.7 tundra
    As much as the ram scared me with chryslers reputation it was really a great truck. No major issues whatsoever at 76000 miles.
    I also owned two jeeps. a Cherokee 178000 miles and a grand Cherokee 128000 miles. No issues with those either, I bet the Cherokee went way over 200,000
    So just saying there are some good ones out there

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    MountainMan, gdiep and equin like this.
  17. Jul 10, 2019 at 9:33 AM
    Vector W8

Vector W8 Old guy with a lot of expensive habits.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Platinum Super White Crewmax 4X4
    FFV, TRD Supercharger, Bullydog FFV Tune, 2014 Fit Kit, TRD Dual Exhaust, Sequoia Front Sway Bar, TRD Rear Sway Bar, TRD Skid Plate, TRD Pro Grill, 040 White Mirror Covers, 040 White Door Handles, Ready Lift 3"/2", Anzo 3rd Brake Light, Winjet LED Tail Lights, LED Fog Lights, LED Rock Lights, Axle Vent Mod, SDHQ Hidden Winch Mount, 12,000lb Winch. Storm Trooper Shift Knob. BMF BATL Wheels.
    I must say I love my Tundra. But from an interior perspective the Ram leaves it in the dust. Which is unfortunate. And I have a Platinum with every available option. Before the Tundra I had an 04 Limited Titan. I loved the truck. It performed way above and beyond the call of duty for 160,000 miles. I went to trade it in in 2015 and couldnt stand the disaster they had turned the truck in to by copying Ford. Luckily the Nissan Dealer owned the Toyota dealer right next door, sharing the same parking lot. So it was a quick 50 foot drive over to the other side. The rest is History. The Tundra has been pretty pain free after working out the initial bugs in the beginning. So I am praying that when Toyota comes out with the redesign we dont see something stupid like a twin turbo V6 POS like the ECO CRAP. I wont buy one. I need a Supercharged V8 with over 550 hp. Toyota I hope you are listening.

Tierhog likes this.
  18. Jul 10, 2019 at 9:52 AM
    Deuxlatch

Deuxlatch AirBus

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris (Latch)
    Tomball, Tx./Lafayette, La.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Super White Tundra CM
    TRD Supercharger, TRD Big Brake kit, MotoMetal wheels, Undercover Tonneau with dual swing out saddle bag tool boxes.
    Don't get me wrong, I still love the old round headlight CJs, before Chrysler took em over in '87. For the amount of money they are asking for the new Jeeps, you can deck out an older CJ, be way more "Trail Rated" and still have money to actually pay for a decent trail trip.

equin, Black Wolf and Tierhog like this.
  19. Jul 10, 2019 at 9:56 AM
    Tierhog

Tierhog SIG-AHOLIC

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax Limited 4WD
    Mostly stock/TRD accessories/Morimoto XBs
    I'd have to agree with you. I love my 16 plain Jane limited Tundra, but the horrible Interior plastics, missing backlit mirror controls and other missing items have me scratching my head. I don't need safety sense... I need solid interior products to match the exterior. My 2012 Lexus is light years ahead on my Tundra interior wise.
    If american cars ever figure out reliability Toyota has a fight on its hands.

20. Jul 10, 2019 at 9:58 AM
    Max Power

Max Power Groovy Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 TRD Off Road
    TRD Dual Exhaust TRD Rear Sway Bar
    Agreed. I've got a few co-workers with new Rams, they are absolutely beautiful. But I'd never buy one, only lease.

MotoTundra[QUOTED] likes this.
  21. Jul 10, 2019 at 9:59 AM
    Devcom

Devcom Miles per Gallon? More like Smiles per Gallon!!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue Tundra Double Cab SR5 5.7L 4x4
    I think Toyota will probably have a V8 option to go with the Turbo 6 and hybrid they are coming out with when next gen launches. I think the V8 will be an updated 5.7 but the 4.6L will probably be gone for sure or the new V8 might be another new 5.X V8 entirely. The V8 loyalty crowd is still large at this point in time. In the future though might be a different story.

22. Jul 10, 2019 at 10:06 AM
    Tierhog

Tierhog SIG-AHOLIC

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax Limited 4WD
    Mostly stock/TRD accessories/Morimoto XBs
    I'd venture towards diesel rather than low cubes and multiple turbos and multiple DI and IDI fuel formats. Ford has made the engine too complicated. Toyota has European engine lines in diesel that work efficiently, and even commercial diesels for the Tundra if they wanted to pursue it. We aren't there yet for battery.

280px-Toyota_1VD-FTV_Engine.jpg

23. Jul 10, 2019 at 10:15 AM
    phabej

phabej New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Nope, they must all live in Texas then. I guess PNW folks love to buy Tundras more. LOL

24. Jul 10, 2019 at 10:59 AM
    JTGeorgia49

JTGeorgia49 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra SR5 Extended Cab
    You make a lot of good points. What you buy may depend on your age (I'm 70), how much technology you require (not a whole lot) the # of miles (impacts cost of gas) and most importantly, how long you plan on keeping your truck. Rather than depend on good and bad tales from brand loyalists who feel a need to defend what they bought, I simply looked at the bigger picture, based on data from consumer organizations that take out the one offs we read here. Based on that it was clear that the Tundra has been overall the most dependable truck for the last 10 years and that's why I chose it. But talking about truck preferences is almost like talking about someone's Momma, and the level of rancor between brand owners is humorous. Bottom line, its your money and you get to choose and in the end hope that you chose wisely. - Have a great day!

gosolo, Luckydog, panicman and 8 others like this.
  25. Jul 10, 2019 at 12:38 PM
    Hammerdog

Hammerdog YCMTSUP

Member:
    First Name:
    Robbie
    Louisa VA
    Vehicle:
    2018 tundra sport crew max
    Tint Bed cover Red Tow Hooks TRD Intake 7 inch BDS 22x12’s 35 Toyo’s Rigid ditch lights RC light bar in bottom grille One bad ass stereo
    HA HA, me too. Bought my wife a 2017 TRD Sport 4Runner, she foamed at the mouth for a wrangler, so being the good husband that I am I went and got her a brand new fly looking 4door loaded Sahara wrangler. I also loved the way it looked, then the newness started to wear off, she began to hate it and the hardtop leaked... as my daughter said, it’s raining inside! Being the good husband that I am i went back to the Toyota dealership 1 year later and bought another TRD sport 4Runner exactly like the first one! True story, you can’t make that shit up!

hitech, Rica25, Black Wolf and 2 others like this.
  26. Jul 10, 2019 at 2:00 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    That upside down head is hilarious!

Rica25 and RBDTx like this.
  27. Jul 10, 2019 at 2:30 PM
    djhase

djhase New Member

Member:
    Little story about why I got a Tundra. I purchased the Tundra as a replacement for a 2007 GMC Sierra with 200k miles we had 10 years and was on its 3rd transmission. We paid for the 1st replacement trans and it lasted only 50k. It was replaced under warranty but the replacement only carried the rest of the original replacements warranty.

Not having any trust that the new trans would last, I started my search for the new truck right away. Ford was out, I had issues with them long ago. Nissan was out they look just like a Ford (fugly), GM was out I didn't trust their reliability anymore. I wanted a Dodge because the 2019's look so good but research showed some major issues with the new model in term of complaints and recalls. My buddy has a Tundra. A 2016 with 100k that drives like new still. Research shows great reliability with them so Tundra was the truck to get.

So we've had the Tundra for 3 months. Its my wife's daily because I have a long commute. The other day she drove the GMC while I used the Tundra. I asked her if she enjoyed her old truck again. She said no. Its too slow. I laughed. She loves the Tundra. She has never said a word about lack of tech or lack of updates to the model. I am very happy with it myself. I think all the tech in the other mfg's causes more problems than they solve. Ill give up a little gas mileage for a little reliability. In the end, I believe that will cost me less.

28. Jul 10, 2019 at 3:32 PM
    red arrow

red arrow New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Gray Metalic Limited Off Road Tundra Crew
    I sold a 2013 Ram 2500 Cummins to buy a Tundra. The Ram had 100k on it and had been back to dealer many for various issues -- most under extended warranty - various seals, universal joints etc... egr / exhaust issues and sensors not covered. Got left in limp mode several times because of exhaust issues. Last time was 500 miles from home and had to spend a day at a far away dealership trying to convince them to clear a code so I could get the family home. I'll miss some of the capability, but I'll trade that for reliability.. So far 1500 miles on the Tundra and hoping for many trouble free miles. You guys thinking about Rams have been warned!!!

29. Jul 11, 2019 at 1:14 PM
    RowBee

RowBee New Member

Member:
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 4.6
    I have to say i'm not surprised. They price them high just so they can be discounted alot. Lots of sales places do it with other products. Also dodge keeps doing re designed so lots of press all the time and they get reviewed again every couple of years. And i know about the reliability issues, but you got to admit that they are a good value when you compare apples to apples leaving out the reliability argument.

30. Jul 11, 2019 at 3:51 PM
    djhase

djhase New Member

Member:
    One item that I really dislike in some new vehicles and Ram is one is the twisty knob shifter. Sorry but put the shifter on the tree, put it on the floor, put it on the center counsel but make it a stick not a knob. Something not right about a knob for a shifter.

Fiesta346 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top