1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Radio interference

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by Tazzer, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Oct 2, 2015 at 12:18 PM
    Tazzer

Tazzer [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota tundra
    Anyone have any issues when plugging in your car chager ? I have a 08 and everytime I plug a charger in it distorts the radio. Iv tried dif. chargers and they all do it, makes it where I can turn the radio on unless I use the phones mp3 player.

thanks
    Taz

2. Oct 2, 2015 at 2:15 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Nothing..never heard of it. Have you tried a different charger? Different USB port?

3. Oct 2, 2015 at 2:35 PM
    Tazzer

Tazzer [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota tundra
    yep three chargers and both the plug in that in close to the shifter and also the one in the consoule

4. Oct 2, 2015 at 5:45 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra sr5 4x4 stepside....
    yep bank account is running low from it..
    Car chargers use a ic chip. Unless you are getting weird feedback from the chargers. Only thing I can think of is a ground problem on the lighter but thats out there. Try replacing the cig lighter see if that solves the problem.

5. Oct 2, 2015 at 6:01 PM
    chunk

chunk New Member

Member:
    110 miles north of Los Angeles, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    SR5 2001 Tundra, original owner
    Bone stock
    Most battery chargers nowadays are of the "switching" type, notorious for RFI, especially when in close proximity to a receiver, ie radio. It's a cheap alternative to the older "transformer" type which generated a lot less hash. Not much you can do about it I'm afraid. These switchers are light weight, cheap to make and here to stay.

MT Madman likes this.
  6. Oct 2, 2015 at 6:12 PM
    bobeast

bobeast really old member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Hollister, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC
    - Bull Bar - LED Bunny Burners - AMP retractable running boards - Headlight leveling retrofit - P3 Brake Controller - 60% rear seat delete - relocation of Sub to rear wall - Bilstein 5100 x4, top setting with 2 shims per side - Coach builder +2 rear shackles w/carrier bearing drop - Firestone Air bags - on-board compressor with auto-leveling - Dual Undercover Swing Boxes. - P285/65/R20 (34.6") BFG TA KO2's - TRD Front skid plate - Pop & Lock Tailgate lock - Remote Tailgate mod - LED Headlights - Nav Bypass - iPhone integration - Serius/XM retrofit - 25% front tint - Bizon electric tonneau cover - Power folding tow mirror upgrade - 2010+ leveling Headlight mod - Auto-fold mirror mod. - one-touch lane changer mod - Flash to open garage opener mod - Rigid H/L fog light upgrade - Pushbutton / Remote start mod.
    Those chargers are all noisy (some worse than others), but I've not had any issues in my Tundra. In my Vette, certain chargers keep the keyless entry key fob from being detected. It does sound like you may have a grounding problem. Try running a temporary jumper from the metal shield on the port to some metal location inside the cab and see if the problem goes away.

7. Oct 2, 2015 at 6:20 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    I use several different chargers with no issues at all with my 07. So far.

8. Oct 3, 2015 at 7:58 AM
    Tazzer

Tazzer [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota tundra
    checked it again this morning, seems its not the charger like i thought its my phone. unplug the phone and it clears right up, plug it back back in and will get all staticky and if I move the phone around it will clear up a little but not much. I have to chargers that Iv tried guess Ill check a couple of more to be sure.
    thanks for all the replys.

Products Discussed in

To Top