1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

radiator fluid

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by SWVA_Tundra, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Mar 2, 2017 at 7:17 AM
    SWVA_Tundra

SWVA_Tundra [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Otto
    Vehicle:
    2000 White Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5
    I have a 2000 Tundra 4X4 with 200 K miles and had the timing belt, water pump, belt, radiator hoses, and radiator fluid changed 2 K miles ago. A few days ago, I started smelling radiator fluid and checked underneath, etc. and nothing seems to be leaking. The temperature gauge is right in the middle like it usually is as well. Is this something that I should be concerned about and any ideas of what may be causing this odor? Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. Mar 2, 2017 at 7:49 AM
    tomsinamerica

tomsinamerica New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    White 2016 Tundra DC ltd
    if you'd have said it was immediately after having the work done, I'd have assumed that when they drained the block, there was fluid somewhere spilled somewhere underneath that was heating up causing you to smell it. However if you only noticed a couple of days ago and the work was completed well before that, it's probably something else.

If you have an advance autoparts or autozone near you, you can borrow (for free) a coolant pressure test kit. You change the cap on your radiator for one in the kit, then hand pump the pressure to around 15psi - if it holds pressure - you're good. If the pressure drops over time, you have a leak and with it under pressure with the engine not running, you should be able to see the leak. If they messed up the water pump gasket, since that's all buried under the TB cover and so on - the leak may be harder to identify but the pressure test will tell you for sure whether you have a leak or not.

NewImprovedRon and joonbug like this.
  3. Mar 2, 2017 at 5:20 PM
    shaw0531

shaw0531 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Vehicle:
    2006 Spectra Blue Mica Tundra SR5 2WD DC
    When I bought mine a year ago a day after I got it home the waterpump started leaking. Took it back to the dealer and they fixed it, for free. Two weeks later it went out again and again took it back and they fixed it for free again. A month later it went out and they were going to fix it. I instead took it to a shop I take vehicles to that I don't want to mess with and they fixed it. $900 later and a brand new (not reman) gates pump and belt kit and haven't had an issue since. The mechanic at the dealer said they kept getting the reman pumps off eBay for $100 in China. Moral of story: get what you pay for.
    Mine leaked in the same spot each time. If you looked on the driver side of the engine at the front between the pump and a pulley about midway down the engine you could see fluid running down.
    I would ask what brand pump they used. Also I've heard bad experiences using a silicone gasket as well.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top