1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Questions on best option for increasing load capacity (occasional use only)

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by BobT, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Jul 7, 2018 at 3:46 PM
    BobT

BobT [OP] New Member

Member:
    Frederick, CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Limited TRD $WD
    2" Leveling kit with 33" tires
    I've got a 2016 Tundra Limited TRD for which I installed a 2" leveling kit and added 33" tires (Goodyear Duratracs).

I use my truck to pull my 2 horses with a lightweight 2 horse trailer and it does great including dealing with Colorado passes and elevation! My only concern is a handful of times a year, I have a need to pull my horses with a truck full of gear and am concerned about the sag / squat in the rear.

I'm searching for an economical solution to address this. I know air bags would do it but with the built in compressor and remote, it's darn pricey. Airbags also don't lend themselves well to once at the trail head as then I unload the horses and need to 4 wheel in some tough terrain so means deflating them and then re-flate on the way home.

Certainly I am open to adding another support leaf in the rear end if that is the best solution (would appreciate recommendations on this if this is the way to go) but I found these and was curious if anyone has experience with them: https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Su...ml?vehicleid=20161014543#prod-acc-onlyreviews (Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System) ? Are these a viable solution and would they make a good solution to my needs? Appreciate any advice you may have!

2. Jul 7, 2018 at 3:51 PM
    ardnutoz

ardnutoz

Member:
    First Name:
    OZ
    SE-PA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Black TRD OR CM Limited
    :wave:

Welcome,

Search on here for the airbags as well as sumo springs and add a leaf. Good luck with your choice.

BobT[OP] likes this.
  3. Jul 7, 2018 at 3:58 PM
    Y0TA PR0

Y0TA PR0 Dirt biking & fishing

Member:
    First Name:
    Rafael
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD PRO
    WELCOME

4. Jul 7, 2018 at 4:28 PM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
    So... not an expert but, to synopsize what I've learned throughout this forum: Nothing 'increases payload'. If you don't want sag for occasional weight, bags are best (because you can air up/down as you add/remove weight). After-market leafs work best when your weight is fairly constant, i.e. if you add leafs to support extra weight, they'll be too stiff when driving unladen. I think your choice will be easiest when you decide which is your priority: function or cost. Maybe someone else will weigh in with an inexpensive alternative.... fingers crossed for you.

Pudge likes this.
  5. Jul 7, 2018 at 4:49 PM
    Cuzican

Cuzican New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Platinum Crewmax Tundra
    8" Lift, 22x10 Fuel Forged FF19, 37x13.50r22 Trail Grapplers, Amp Research steps, Spyder black smoked headlights with 35w HID's, all interior lights LED, Undercover tonneau.
    I'd say airbags with daystar cradles, you can get away with portable compressor until you decide to add an air on-board compressor. The extra benifit is once you do have air on-board, you can then inflate a flat tire if needed. This is the route I am going, been collecting parts, just have a few things left to get.

Sunnier likes this.
  6. Jul 7, 2018 at 5:44 PM
    jeremyd

jeremyd 2014 Crewmax SR5

Member:
    NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM 4X4
    ProComp 7" 35/12.50/18 -11
    Firestone air bags increase the load level capacity of the rear leaf springs by 5000 pounds.

7. Jul 8, 2018 at 10:38 AM
    bobeast

bobeast really old member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Hollister, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC
    - Bull Bar - LED Bunny Burners - AMP retractable running boards - Headlight leveling retrofit - P3 Brake Controller - 60% rear seat delete - relocation of Sub to rear wall - Bilstein 5100 x4, top setting with 2 shims per side - Coach builder +2 rear shackles w/carrier bearing drop - Firestone Air bags - on-board compressor with auto-leveling - Dual Undercover Swing Boxes. - P285/65/R20 (34.6") BFG TA KO2's - TRD Front skid plate - Pop & Lock Tailgate lock - Remote Tailgate mod - LED Headlights - Nav Bypass - iPhone integration - Serius/XM retrofit - 25% front tint - Bizon electric tonneau cover - Power folding tow mirror upgrade - 2010+ leveling Headlight mod - Auto-fold mirror mod. - one-touch lane changer mod - Flash to open garage opener mod - Rigid H/L fog light upgrade - Pushbutton / Remote start mod.
    Airbags are the best option for "occasional use". Other solutions will affect the ride quality, even when you are not loaded. I have an auto-level setup on mine. No need to carry air-tanks or portable compressors, or fidget with pressure gauges. It automatically airs up when there is a load, and dumps air when the load is removed. It just works. check out https://www.airliftcompany.com/products/compressor-systems/smartair/

Sunnier likes this.
  8. Jul 8, 2018 at 11:06 AM
    blue16

blue16 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steve
    Mesa AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 tundra
    Welcome from AZ. Air bags would be a good choice

9. Jul 8, 2018 at 1:48 PM
    East TN Yota

East TN Yota Superhero by Night

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Phantom Gray Tundra TRD Access Cab
    I have air bags. The lines are ran to fittings located on each side of the license plate. I just carry an air gauge and a portable compressor.

Like anything, It can be done simply and relatively inexpensive or you can dump a lot of money into it for more convenience.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    jeremyd likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top