1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Questions for upcoming build

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Builds (2014-2021)' started by rochmpr, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Mar 2, 2020 at 9:01 AM
    rochmpr

rochmpr [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Krister
    Walnut Grove, CA
    Vehicle:
    2020 CrewMax
    Lifted, sliders, 35 X 12.5's, Evo Corse and more stuff coming
    Good morning all. I am about to embark upon the purchase and build of a 2020 Limited Crewmax and have many questions. I have been reading through the forums and builds a bit trying to gain knowledge on the Tundra's and am hoping to get some specific answers in a central location to assist my decisions.

Just so everyone is aware, I am not new to off-roading, rock crawling, building or chopping up a perfectly good and new vehicle (ask my wife). The last truck I had was a 2014 4Runner TE on 35's, lockers, gears, armor and dents. (Picture below from the Rubicon) 20190929_070223-1.jpg

Aside from the 4Runner, I have had the following;
    • 1986 Toyota 4X4 Truck Xtra Cab SR5
    • 1997 Toyota Tacoma Xtra Cab 4X4
    • 1981 Toyota Hilux locked F/R on 35's with dual Marlin cases
      Roll 1.jpg
    • 1992 Toyota Hilux Xtra Cab SAS on 35's, ARB F/R, dual Marins
      1992 Toyota-5.jpg
    • 1999 Toyota Tacoma 4X4
    • 1997 Toyota FZJ-80 Triple Locked
    I know this truck will limit the type of wheeling I am used to doing due to it's size, but I do plan to do some wheeling on trails that it will fit down.

My plans are suspension lift, front and rear bumpers, sliders, armor, wheel, tiles, gears, locker(2) and other stuff, and this is where my questions come into play.

Suspension;
    Front: Looking at 3" coil overs with by-passes and 700# springs, no LT. Looking for something similar to what was offered for the 4Runner with an extended travel.

1) Question: Considering between King and ADS. Is there much difference or is one really any better than the other.

UCA's: I had the Icon Delta joint UCA's and liked them over uni-ball, especially for maintenance. Not big on bling of the billet.

2) Question:Has anyone had issues on the Tundra or is there something better. No SPC recommendations please.

Rear: It's been a long time since running leafs in the rear, and back then, it was swapping out to 63" Chevy springs.

3) Question: Looking at the Deaver U748, how are these for added weight and flex. I am aware there is a drive spine spacer that will need to install to improve angle. Also, any recommendations on longer shackle.

Tire Size: I am thinking to start with 35's, but really would like to go 37's, which will mean a re-gear and locker add time.

4) Question: Will 37's fit the the above lift providing a BMC is performed? Wheel offset I know will have a factor as well. I am considering Evo Corse wheels in a 17". To get the 37's to fit, besides the BMC, is there any thing else to look at chopping, smashing (pinch weld), cutting fenders?

5) Question: If my overall plan is to go 37's, I only want to gear once, my question is what will be the overall difference between the 4.88 and 5.29 on drivability. Can I still get 20 MPG (J/K, I will probably get the same as the 4Runner, crap).

With the 4Runner and lift, it was very common to adjust the caster to about 4° or more for better handling and steering.

6) Question: Does this same principal apply with the Tundra after a lift to adjust caster?

I am sure there are more questions, but, at the moment, there are the biggest ones I have.

Thanks for the help and looking forward to participating more on this forum.

Krister

Sas likes this.
  2. Mar 2, 2020 at 9:40 AM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    1) Question: Considering between King and ADS. Is there much difference or is one really any better than the other.
    Not a whole lot. Everyone will suggest the brand they have.

UCA's: I had the Icon Delta joint UCA's and liked them over uni-ball, especially for maintenance. Not big on bling of the billet.

2) Question:Has anyone had issues on the Tundra or is there something better. No SPC recommendations please.
    Lots of people have issues with the Icon Tubular DJs. Don't get enough caster. If you go Kings, I'd suggest Total Chaos. If you go ADS, I'd suggest MCM arms. If you go 37's with low offset, I'd suggest heims.

Rear: It's been a long time since running leafs in the rear, and back then, it was swapping out to 63" Chevy springs.

3) Question: Looking at the Deaver U748, how are these for added weight and flex. I am aware there is a drive spine spacer that will need to install to improve angle. Also, any recommendations on longer shackle.
    If you run your truck hard, the U748's are likely to flatten in a year or two. I personally think the Icon RXT's are better.

Tire Size: I am thinking to start with 35's, but really would like to go 37's, which will mean a re-gear and locker add time.

4) Question: Will 37's fit the the above lift providing a BMC is performed? Wheel offset I know will have a factor as well. I am considering Evo Corse wheels in a 17". To get the 37's to fit, besides the BMC, is there any thing else to look at chopping, smashing (pinch weld), cutting fenders?
    Biggest factor is the offset and having an aftermarket front bumper with alot of clearance. Also stick with 12.5" wide. 13.5" will cause more clearance problems. Having a +25ish offset will help make fitment much easier. If you go to 0 offset, it's likely you'll need heimed UCA's to make them fit. And yes, you need to hammer in the pinch weld and probably chop a little on the stock fenders near the cab mount.

5) Question: If my overall plan is to go 37's, I only want to gear once, my question is what will be the overall difference between the 4.88 and 5.29 on drivability. Can I still get 20 MPG (J/K, I will probably get the same as the 4Runner, crap).
    Even on stock gears with 37's, drivability was definitely noticeable but wasn't horrible. But mpg's took a big hit. I got rid of my truck before I got a chance to regear so I can't help much on this. But for what it's worth, my new truck will get 5.29's with the 37's.

With the 4Runner and lift, it was very common to adjust the caster to about 4° or more for better handling and steering.

6) Question: Does this same principal apply with the Tundra after a lift to adjust caster?
    Yes, caster below 4 drove pretty bad on dirt. Most of us are in the 6-7 range.

jordan0317, rochmpr[OP] and Pinay like this.
  3. Mar 2, 2020 at 9:59 AM
    snivilous

snivilous snivspeedshop.com

Member:
    SW UT
    Vehicle:
    299.9k Supercharged 2008
    1: Pick which color you like, good luck finding a true comparison. I have all Kings on the Tundra and all ADS on my buggy. The Kings seem to have very poor corrosion resistance, though my ADS stuff doesn't have a lot of miles let alone snow on them so can't comment on them. Both take fucking years to arrive for custom stuff. Personally I like ADS over the Kings, just from a customer support perspective and ADS being a smaller shop (relatively) and their roots started as a machine shop and they claim to hold tighter tolerances than anyone else. I've rolled and crushed reservoirs on my ADS and they handled it like a champ. With that said, apples to oranges as far as utilization is concerned for me, but at the end of the day pick a color and spend time tuning it instead of complaining how it rides bad and buying a different brand like a lot of people do.

2: I went with Camburg uppers. Have them on my 4Runner and the Tundra. Can't compare them personally to any other brand. The Camburgs are cheaper than TC, Camburg builds Trophy Trucks, and their uniball arms offer a larger uniball which is why I went with them over other brands (as far as big name brands go). Camburg has a ball joint arm that uses the stock ball joint, I got that on the Tundra since I hate the uniball squeak on a daily vehicle. I can easily hit 9+ deg of casters, and have it set at 7deg right now to help clear the 35s (I have no BMC or any trimming). Again, no personal experience with other brand arms so take it with a grain of salt.

Can't comment on the other stuff, no personaly experience.

5: I've read that 5.29s are the go to, there's not much reason to go to 4.88 in any circumstance. Just what I've read.

4. Mar 3, 2020 at 8:57 AM
    rochmpr

rochmpr [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Krister
    Walnut Grove, CA
    Vehicle:
    2020 CrewMax
    Lifted, sliders, 35 X 12.5's, Evo Corse and more stuff coming
    snivilous and joonbug like this.

Products Discussed in