1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

question on install costs

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by bowhun2r, May 2, 2018.

1. May 2, 2018 at 5:12 PM
    bowhun2r

bowhun2r [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Steeler Nation
    Hi everyone,

It's been a few weeks (2 to be exact) and the JBL entune head unit is somewhat a let down to me. Everyone has their opinion...and that's where mine is falling.

I had a 2017 Tacoma JBL and I did the oemaudio+ install that included speakers, kicker, amp and sound deadening (if anyone is interested https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...-those-interested.379249/page-6#post-14192486) . Took me two days as audio installation is not what I do full-time. The outcome was fantastic. I really enjoyed that sound setup. Didn't really enjoy pulling off all the interior panels, apply sound deadening, install speakers...wiring... Let's just say I'm glad I did it...and I'm glad it's over :) .

Thus my question. I went to a local shop and we kicked around some configs. I'm set on the Kenwood DNX995S with the idata Masestro thing. The local shop only deals with Memphis speakers/amps. Honestly, this was the first time I ever heard of them and doing some research they appear to be a good brand (they have a long history which is a good thing).

The total they are coming up with is about 4K. That includes head unit/idata/plugs/wiring/sound deadening/5 channel amp/12" sub/enclosure/6x9 component speakers/6.5 component rear speakers...and labor.

It's a big job. If I part everything out (crutchfield) I'm at just under 3K. Is 1K in labor typical for this type of install? I explained to them I'm OCD/anal about my vehicles and asked if they had done any Tundras before. They have... recently (2014) setup similar that I'm looking at (different head unit and dual subs). I gave them clear advance notice that I would expect the install to look OEM. They sounded very confident and didn't balk at all my questions. I'm coming up with a little over 1K in labor. He told me it would be a full day with three of them working on it. I don't mind spending good money...I just want to make sure it's in the ball park that others are seeing.

TIA,
    Scott

2. May 2, 2018 at 6:50 PM
    Juanjoolio007

Juanjoolio007 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver Sky Platinum Crew Max
    Bed Rug, Tonneau cover, Window visors, Console organizer, Weather Tech's
    How much sound deadening? Where at? That could be fairly close to good. Kinda hard to say exact not knowing the price break down. Did they show you a quote sheet or anything? My install took my buddies lead installer and at some times two other guys almost two days to complete. Granted the dyno mat took a long time and this install was nowhere near the basic level and maybe they didn't work on it 100% of that time.For example all my doors look like this.

But I would bet that if I was to go in and pay for my install it would probably be close to that.

3. May 2, 2018 at 7:29 PM
    Vendeta2k

Vendeta2k Distinguished Member Of The Cement Club

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Bozeman, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited Cement CM
    seems like a descent deal for everything you listed.

4. May 2, 2018 at 8:05 PM
    stlfan

stlfan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra SR5 4x4
    2018 OEM LED HEADLIGHTS, BAJA DESIGN FOGS, PRO GRILL & SURROUND, 3M CRYSTALLINE TINT40%, 8" SS BAM EXHAUST.
    I agree sounds about right. I got a quote for the same basically but also had a DSP with two tuning sessions and sound deadening on back wall and floor for sub. Total around 4500 or so.

5. May 3, 2018 at 3:41 AM
    bowhun2r

bowhun2r [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Steeler Nation
    Thanks guys for the input. Regarding the sound deadening, all doors inside the door cavity behind the speakers as well as outside. Also the back wall. They didn't show me a quote breakdown, however they gave me links to each of the pieces to the puzzle (including the mojo matt and power cable and fuses). That's how I was able to part it out to see what the costs were on Crutchfield. Install time would be an entire day with three of them working on it. It's a big job and after experiencing sound deadening for myself on the Tacoma I know it's time consuming job (honestly...this was the first time I ever did sound deadening and it was the best interior mod I ever did). Thanks for the sanity check.
    Scott

6. May 3, 2018 at 3:58 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    $1k labor for 3 guys working a full day? Sounds like a great deal! Get on it.

7. May 3, 2018 at 4:01 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    I had every piece of my audio system replaced at Best Buy, but no sound deadening. My cost all in was around 2k.

That was head unit, amp, maestro, all speakers (kicker in back, alpine in front), and a kicker hideaway sub. I’m very happy with the results.

I didn’t have a JBL system to begin with, but they said it would have cost more if I did. Don’t think it would have doubled it though.

sbbrown333 likes this.
  8. May 3, 2018 at 4:14 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    He has $3k in parts. The labor is $1k for 3 guys for a full day. Sounds like you paid more and got less than what the original poster is asking. Apples to oranges.

9. May 3, 2018 at 4:29 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Yeah, nowhere near that much in parts. I’d have to look at the receipt, but I think my labor was around 500. That sound deadening is probably pretty labor intensive.

10. May 3, 2018 at 4:40 AM
    Juanjoolio007

Juanjoolio007 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver Sky Platinum Crew Max
    Bed Rug, Tonneau cover, Window visors, Console organizer, Weather Tech's
    It can be. A lot of variance in price to. You could probably do a single strip by the speaker for 60-100 or as it sounds his will look like mine and that’s three layers. Behind the window(outer door skin) and both sides of the inner door skins for 300-500 a door. The other thing is there is such an insane markup on stereo gear.

11. May 3, 2018 at 4:55 AM
    Yota18

Yota18 Inferno Club

Member:
    Upstate New York (the real NY)
    Vehicle:
    18’ 5.7 TRD Off-Road
    Stock
    The audio shop I used for my Tacoma’s labor rate was 85 and hour. I had a pair of jl audio c3’s put in, 10in w3v3 with ‘custom’ box (wasn’t anything crazy just built wide enough to fit In between the two rear jump seats, Xd 3/5v2 amp and a jl fix 82 I think my grand total was around 2100

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  12. May 3, 2018 at 5:11 AM
    sbbrown333

sbbrown333 MGM Wrecking Crew

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Limited CM 4x4
    Best Buy was able to install with the Maestro data link? That's impressive. I'm in Greenville, SC and there's not a lot of stereo shops around here I trust so it's good to know Best Buy could do it if I can't find anywhere else.

13. May 3, 2018 at 5:34 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Yes sir, at least the one near me does. I spend a lot there, so I usually have a good amount of rewards dollars to use. I also figured it’d be a lot easier to deal with them if there were problems. I’ve dealt with smaller shops in the past, and it tends to be tougher to get issues resolved with them. Best Buy, at least in my experience, has always been easy to deal with. They’ve always done right by me over the years.

sbbrown333[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. May 3, 2018 at 5:40 AM
    sbbrown333

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Limited CM 4x4
    I think I may end up using them if the Best Buy here can do the same type of setup. I'd much rather deal with them for any issues that come up later. The shops here are pretty terrible when it comes to fixing their mistakes. They installed the head unit on my 03 4Runner and I've had tons of issues with it and they don't seem to think it's their fault.

15. May 3, 2018 at 6:04 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Yeah, on my 2011, I’d get a ton of static if I turned it up past a certain point. Never could get the stereo shop to fix it, since they couldn’t “recreate” the issue. I finally just gave up on it. I know that doesn’t apply to all or most shops, but that made me prefer a company who could see I was spending thousands a year with them. They’re more conscious of not losing a customer, and there are more avenues to escalate if need be.
    A few years ago, I’d dropped my iPad and cracked the screen. It was past the protection period I’d bought. I took it in, the guy looked in the computer and said “You spend a lot of money with us”. I had a new iPad a week later at no charge.
    Once again, this is just my experience. It also probably has a lot to do with how much I spend there. I do the same thing. My customers who do all of their business with us get pretty much anything they want within reason.

sbbrown333[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. May 3, 2018 at 6:11 AM
    sbbrown333

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Limited CM 4x4
    True. If I find what I want there I will be spending a ton of money at once because I can buy the head unit, install, data link plus new refrigerator and TV with install for the new house.

17. May 3, 2018 at 7:00 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Yeah, I bought the stereo system, washer and dryer, and a refrigerator all the same month. I buy whatever I can there. I just checked, and I have $385.00 in rewards to spend right now.

18. May 3, 2018 at 8:38 AM
    Beerdude77

Beerdude77 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Sky Tundra Limited TRD CM
    Linex bed, "Toyota" Console Safe
    Sorry for the thread jack @sbbrown333 you hear about Knickerbockers closing? And on this topic of this thread that sounds like a pretty good price as long as that requirement is good (I personally dont know much about them) and the sound deadening is outer skins and inner skins all the way around. Make them take before and after pictures to prove what sound deadening was done.

19. May 3, 2018 at 8:45 AM
    sbbrown333

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Limited CM 4x4
    Yeah I was just reading that. Apparently the owner of the building sold it but the owners of Knickerbockers are looking for another location nearby and keeping their other locations.

Products Discussed in

To Top