1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question for those who upgraded from gen 2 to gen 3

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by War Machine, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Sep 7, 2017 at 5:43 AM
    War Machine

War Machine [OP] SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Did anyone else notice a big difference in acceleration speed?
    I mentioned this in my introduction thread: I went from a 2011 double cab to a 2017 Crewmax. The new one also has bigger tires, lift, and is four wheel drive.
    The 2011 would straight up fly. I drove the 2011 again yesterday, and damn there is a huge difference. The new one has decent pep, but not even close to the old one.
    I know the new one is heavier, bigger tires, etc, but I also test drove a 2017 double cab with the same specs as my old one. It was much slower also. Not even close.

Did they change the gearing or something? My wife has a 2012 Sequoia that didn't have the pep as the Tundra either. I had attributed that to the additional weight. My new Crewmax falls in between the two. Faster than the Sequoia, but much slower than my old Tundra.

Anyway, I was just curious if anyone knew a reason for it. I love my new truck, but I kind of miss the fun of being able to punch it every now and then. Were all of the gen 2 Tundras that quick, or did I just have one with great genetics?

2. Sep 7, 2017 at 5:54 AM
    chphilo

chphilo Tundra addict

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tundra TRD 5.7 4x4 CM
    They 'improved' its acceleration behavior so now it is smoother. My 2010, even with bigger tires, still jerks my head when I accelerate. It seems that people didn't like this and complained to Toyota. If you want to 'feel the power', you could put it in the tow/haul mode and re-experience it.

3. Sep 7, 2017 at 6:00 AM
    War Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Ha. I'll have to try that later. I don't know why anyone would complain about that. I loved it. Smoked many a Ford and Chevy in that truck. Dodges were the only thing that would keep up with it.

4. Sep 7, 2017 at 6:03 AM
    gosolo

gosolo You Don’t Know Who I Am But I Know Where You Live

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Super Fine Super White Pro
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Alcan leaf springs and got rid of the interior chrome
    I would guess it's all in the vehicle data, since your rate of acceleration is a function of the weight to power ratio.
    This statement is assuming zero modifications. If you have access to the specs on both, compare weight, torque, HP, and tire size.
    As you already stated, 4 wd, lift and tire size mods will change everything.

5. Sep 7, 2017 at 6:12 AM
    War Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Yeah, but I test drove a 2017 without all that, and it was still much slower. The only difference between that one and my 2011 were 20" wheels instead of the 18's I had. Love my new truck, though.
    Maybe it's because the old one was red. Red makes them go faster.

gosolo[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Sep 7, 2017 at 6:22 AM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    Toyota changed the PCM (power control module). Like @chphilo said, it's to make the acceleration smoother. You'll find too that if you romp on it hard it will cut power to the motor. I discovered this while trying to pass a vehicle in a short passing area. The power quit half way around the slower vehicle leaving me in the wrong lane with on coming traffic and no power. Not one of Toyotas better "improvements." Honestly, I'm expecting a recall on this one.

7. Sep 7, 2017 at 6:26 AM
    landphil

landphil Fish are food, not friends!

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    ‘08 TRD doublecab
    Pfft. Silver is the fastest.

I believe the throttle programming has been changed to be less responsive for smoother acceleration, and if you have the 38 gal tank in the '17, it is a bit slower - to empty that is. Otherwise, it's a reflection of the inaccuracy of ye olde butt dyno.

Products Discussed in

To Top