1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SOLD -- QNAP NAS / TVS-871 (network storage + virtualization box)

Discussion in 'Marketplace - Other' started by shifty`, Apr 29, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apr 29, 2024 at 1:30 PM
    shifty`

shifty` [OP] call-response overturns conviction every time

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
    For an exhaustive list of features: https://www.qnap.com/en-us/product/tvs-871

Nutshell: TVS-871 NAS+, the quad core i7 version with 16GB RAM (if I'm not crazy, I upgraded to 16GB), offering up 8 drive bays (SATA). I'm tossing in two cards: 1 Mellanox-based SFP+ 10G fiber card (will come installed) with fiber SFP (installed), and 1 QM2-2P expansion card to add two M.2 storage cards. It'll come pre-loaded with three 512GB Samsung 970 Pro 2.5" SSD loaded in the first 3 slots, which is what the OS/config is loaded on. I presume the new owner will want to factory reset and wipe. I can toss in a couple (few, maybe?) 4TB or 6TB platter disks (3.5") if it makes the deal sweeter, but it's going to jack up shipping due to weight on an already heavy item.

On that last note, full disclosure - Two things, the main reasons I upgraded to the TS-873: (1) I wasn't jazzed about the QM2 expansion card, it seemed to hate the 1TB WD Black NVMe I had installed on it (or maybe it's just the weak card slots they used?) and every 12-14 months would inevitably "forget" one m.2 disk, and I'd need to shutdown, reseat the card, reinstall and (2) The TVS-871 is capped at 16GB RAM which is a limitation of the on-board chipset IIRC, and I was looking to run 32-64GB of RAM; I ended up with a similar CPU, but was able to double the RAM. I understand my needs are exceptional though, most VM don't need more than 1-2GB RAM each, and most people aren't going to be running a VM farm on this, if using VMs at all, so ...

Why is this box of disks special? In my opinion:
    • QNAP has a robust store of various free apps you can run on it, everything from database to media streaming to NVR for CCTV to ... if you can resonably imagine it, the app likely exists
    • Super easy user interface, there's likely a smartphone app to manage it, I use it in a more traditional datacenter-y sense, managing through web interface via Firefox or Chrome
    • Full support for media storage and network streaming of video, music, whatever, natively, to your TV, to your MacinTypewriterBook, Windoze PC, tablet, whatever.
    • Supports creation/launch of virtual servers/services, full virtualization of <insert your favorite OS here>, and also docker instances, which is all done via very stable QNAP apps ... you can launch new VMs for any number of servers centrally, fire up docker instances of your favorite apps, many of which can be downloaded online for free
    • Supports data caching, 10GB transfer speeds, multi-uplink, virtual networking/routing, it's basically a datacenter in a box.
    • With 8 bays for 3.5" or 2.5" disks, you can build multiple storage arrays, static or expandable, with a myriad of striping/mirroring/reduncancy/etc. literally the sky is the limit.
    Anyway, if you're a technology person you know what this is and probably realize what a stupid value this could be. I have a Linux server running on it to host the kids' private Minecraft world, some internal tools to enhance our internet and privacy, and used it as an NVR for security for a very long time.

What's the catch? It's used. And while anyone on this forum who's bought hardware from me knows (I've got lots of references), I baby the hell out of my stuff, this is used hardware. It's got about 8 years of use in it. Maybe it has another 8 years. Maybe something fails in 3 years. It's a crapshoot. On the upside, if it does die, you can pull the disks and slap them into another QNAP and it should auto-recognize your data. That's exactly what I did when I upgraded (to a TVS-873A), and why this unit is being sold.

I obviously prefer to sell this locally, and I'm willing to drive within an hour of downtown ATL to meet up. However, I'm willing to ship on your dime.

Looking for $400/OBO + ship.
    (When I say "OBO", I genuinely mean "if my price is unreasonable, then make me an offer, ya fucker!". Worst I can say is "that's a no from me, dawg". You probably won't insult me, but you can expect me to sit on the offer for a couple days to see if someone else bites, and it may sell out from under you, that's the risk of making offers...)

Pics of what you'll get for that - notice, this is coming with keys to lock the drive bays, and some screws to mount disks in drive bays. Pretty important bits.

upload_2024-4-29_16-28-12.png

upload_2024-4-29_16-30-15.png

upload_2024-4-29_16-29-38.png

upload_2024-4-29_16-30-2.png

upload_2024-4-29_16-28-38.png

upload_2024-4-29_16-29-28.png

upload_2024-4-29_16-30-29.png

upload_2024-4-29_16-30-37.png

Last edited: Apr 30, 2024
    kirkb likes this.
  2. Apr 29, 2024 at 3:56 PM
    Danimal86

Danimal86 Looks clean even when its dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra SR5
    idontneedthisidontneedthisidontneedthis

shifty`[OP] likes this.
  3. Apr 29, 2024 at 4:58 PM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    I mean, I can always toss in another (5) 512GB* 970 Pro SSDs, and you can RAID 0 all 8 disks like a maniac, and use them purely for virtulization :D

Last edited: Apr 30, 2024
  4. Apr 29, 2024 at 8:43 PM
    Danimal86

Danimal86 Looks clean even when its dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra SR5
    512TB ssd's...had a heart attack for a second
    [​IMG]
    I wonder when we will see ssds in that size

5. Apr 30, 2024 at 4:22 AM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    Just as the pando lockdowns were kicking off, I remember someone was coming out with a 100TB but obnoxious pricing, one disk cost more than my parents paid for their 2023 Corolla IIRC. Samsung has a 128TB, with some special caveats (special chipset or controller?). I suspect we’re not more than a couple years away (Moore’s), but I doubt pricing will come down enough, and it may pivot on an external component (chipset or controller) to make happen.

But yeah, 512GB, I should edit that. I’ve got a pile of those 970 Pro 2.5” disks tested out in good health, a couple dozen SATA m.2, and half a dozen NVMe m.2 laying around gathering dust. Pile of core i7 Latitude 7480s in mint shape I don’t need. Too much stuff. Side effect of living/working in technology. I’m always tempted to list everything on here but don’t want to clutter things up, and with laptops you always gotta worry about the expectation from buyers you’ll be their tech support; so I usually opt to donate stuff like that to schools and after school programs and battered women’s shelters and such.

6. Apr 30, 2024 at 6:16 AM
    JRS

JRS New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB
    I'm receiving a 4TB SN700 NVMe today and that blows my mind. Fingers crossed for some reasonable PXE performance on this cluster build.

texasrho83 and shifty`[OP] like this.
  7. Apr 30, 2024 at 9:25 AM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    Updated description. Just realized I forgot to mention 16GB RAM cap on this thing, it's currently maxed out. That may be a deciding factor for someone on whether they want it or not.

8. Apr 30, 2024 at 2:41 PM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
  9. Apr 30, 2024 at 2:44 PM
    texasrho83

texasrho83 DGAF#1

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Conroe TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC MGM 4x4
    See build link
    Got any good 2TB NVMe M.2s you'd part with?

10. Apr 30, 2024 at 2:45 PM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    Sadly, nope :(

Only 256, 512, 1TB over here for extras.

texasrho83[QUOTED] likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top