1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pulsation in steering wheel in 5th gear

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by TTund16, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Aug 2, 2017 at 8:24 PM
    TTund16

TTund16 [OP] New Member

Member:
    I can feel a vibration or pulsation in the steering wheel when driving at 55mph in 5th gear. I haven't tested with different speeds yet.

it is NOT like an unbalance tire and it is NOT a shake or a real vibration.
    hard to explain but feels like a pulsation maybe several (4 to 6?) times per second. it is definitely there in 5th gear but not in 4th or 6th at the same speed.

i am a little on the OCD side or maybe very observant when i am driving ... any noise, vibration, tick, click, etc. i pay attention to and another person may not notice this but it is there. I am sure dealer won't notice it ... lol

at 55mph the rmp obviously varied (same speed, different gears 4,5,6)
    Pretty sure TC was locked in all gears, due to constant speed it is hard to keep it unlocked and test it.
    i tried to go faster and slower in 4th, 5th and 6th gear and could only reproduce in 5th gear while trying to maintain the highway speed limit. speed limit was 50mph and occasional cars ... so i couldn't test and collect more data!

tires, balance and allignmnets are all good.
    car is a very late 2016 5.7L DC 4WD TRD Off road w/ Factory TRD Dual exhaust, 18" Wheel.
    Engine runs very smooth and only few thousand miles on the car.
    oil is still VERY clean amber like it is just out of the bottle. I'm really surprized how clean the oil is ... different story lol.

any input from other (semi) OCD and/or expert members is really appreciated!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  2. Aug 3, 2017 at 6:37 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    Maybe rotate tires front to back just to be certain, it's probably one of the easiest things to try and eliminates that variable with greater certainty. Another thought would to be is try to find a stretch of new pavement where you can try to reproduce this. I'm just trying to systematically eliminate the easiest things to check.

15whtrd likes this.
  3. Aug 3, 2017 at 3:29 PM
    TTund16

TTund16 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Fully stock minus some LEDs ... I was planning on a lift & bigger tires, etc. glad that I didn't do it yet (due to some travelling) otherwise would be blaming the lift and/or tires for this!

good idea. since the pulsation happens only in the 5th gear and at the same speed, I wanted to try different speeds before rotation ... I think anywhere from 45-55mph and in 5th it was doing it but not in 4th or 6th gear and the same speed. pretty sure it was doing it at 55mph and 5th gear since that's what i was mostly driving at ... I have to have someone next to me and write things down and get on a freeway (higher speed limit) very late at night and test it again.
    I recall noticing this long ago and then it went away orwent off my radar ...

4. Aug 3, 2017 at 3:52 PM
    TTund16

TTund16 [OP] New Member

Member:
    I was going to check that despite the fact that the car is relatively new ...

could it be a droning side effect??? :notsure: I don't think I was hearing any droning ... that's why I need to test it at higher or lower rpms again.

5. Aug 3, 2017 at 4:01 PM
    Law323

Law323 it’s only weird if you make it weird

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Toytec BOSS suspension lift @ 3" (front) Toytec BOSS remote resi's (back) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae TRD sway bar Upcoming: LED backup lights OEM Backup camera Iron Cross Patriot step bars Trifold or roll up tonneau cover
    Could just be engine drone. I get that at highway speeds.

If you have a lift, try a carrier bearing drop

15whtrd and NewImprovedRon like this.
  6. Aug 3, 2017 at 6:50 PM
    Krohsis

Krohsis New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax, 5.7L, Red
    does it increase at all with application of brakes, even slight application?

7. Aug 3, 2017 at 7:02 PM
    TTund16

TTund16 [OP] New Member

Member:
    good idea, i will check.
    due to the fact that it happens only in 5th gear, i was chasing after powertrain/drivetrain issues or even dual exhaust drone/vibration ... maybe i should start looking at tires, brakes, grease, etc. as suggested!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  8. Aug 4, 2017 at 1:12 AM
    Dustydirt19

Dustydirt19 Hoghead

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Duluth, MN
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Metallic 5.7L 4WD SR5 TRD DC
    ProComp 6" stage 2 lift 18x9 Fuel Vapor -12 offset 35x12.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers BullyDog Tuner Gibson Metal Mulisha cat-back exhaust, S&B cold air intake, Color matched TRD PRO Grille, Compustar Remote Start N-Fab Hooped Nerf Bars, AMI Big stick antenna, Salex organizer and tray, Weathertech laser cut floor mats, Weathertech window deflectors Black out badge Black out front and rear bumper Black out flags 24/7 black out TRD Off-road decals Spray in Line-X Bedliner Scosche phone mount Soft rolling tonneau cover TRD pedals and footrest
    Did you try putting it in sequential shift and putting it in 5th gear that way and trying it?

9. Aug 8, 2017 at 10:33 PM
    TTund16

TTund16 [OP] New Member

Member:
    yes that's what I was doing in S4, S5 and S6 ...

I can't reproduce it now! However i haven't been back on the same highway ... i doubt if it has anything to do with the road since i could feel the pulsation only in S5 and not in S4 or S6 at the same speed! maybe is drivetrain temperature related.
    as i mentioned before, i recall noticing this issue a while back and it must not have been persistent ...
    maybe i was on the same highway back then!? lol
    i love solving mysteries, will keep you guys posted.

10. Aug 12, 2017 at 9:03 PM
    Dustydirt19

Dustydirt19 Hoghead

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Duluth, MN
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Metallic 5.7L 4WD SR5 TRD DC
    ProComp 6" stage 2 lift 18x9 Fuel Vapor -12 offset 35x12.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers BullyDog Tuner Gibson Metal Mulisha cat-back exhaust, S&B cold air intake, Color matched TRD PRO Grille, Compustar Remote Start N-Fab Hooped Nerf Bars, AMI Big stick antenna, Salex organizer and tray, Weathertech laser cut floor mats, Weathertech window deflectors Black out badge Black out front and rear bumper Black out flags 24/7 black out TRD Off-road decals Spray in Line-X Bedliner Scosche phone mount Soft rolling tonneau cover TRD pedals and footrest
    I have certain spots that my truck does this as well. Seems like in 5th gear when it's cold. I'm also lifted 6in and on 35s as well though

11. Oct 14, 2018 at 4:04 PM
    Tracer900

Tracer900 New Member

Member:
    Did you ever get it to happen again for find a solution. Mine is doing the exact same thing. Seems to be in 5th gear right around 2k RPM with a little load/lugging a little, I feel pulsing in steering wheel and gas pedal.

12. Oct 16, 2018 at 3:18 AM
    TTund16

TTund16 [OP] New Member

Member:
    So I am not imagining things!

Like @Dustydirt19 said, I recall it being colder. I think the trans fluid may not have fully warmed up but I am not %100 sure and that's just a guess that it maybe trans fluid temp related!

I haven't noticed the pulsation lately but nights are getting colder and I will try to reproduce and report back.

What year is your car is it DC with dual exhaust and how many miles on it? Also do you notice this when the car is not fully warmed up? For a while I was thinking it may be drone related!
    other than that it sounds like the same problem ...

13. Oct 16, 2018 at 4:44 AM
    koditten

koditten New Member

Member:
    Mines done it since new. I don't even notice it anymore.

Your not ready to be committed yet.

TTund16[OP] likes this.
  14. Oct 16, 2018 at 5:08 PM
    Tracer900

Tracer900 New Member

Member:
    Mine is a 2017, but no dual exhaust. I noticed it more when I was towing my camper the other day. It just got cooler here so maybe the colder temps has something to do with it. Glad to know others are doing it and seems to be a normal thing. I think is just the harmonics from the engine being transferred through.

TTund16[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  15. Oct 16, 2018 at 10:02 PM
    TTund16

TTund16 [OP] New Member

Member:
    I think you could be right about harmonics. I was thinking that or some sort of mechanical resonance!

anyways, I was able to reproduce it again. It is very mild and right around 55-60 mph in 5th gear which is about 2000 rpm! You cannot be coasting or stepping on it hard (maybe towing and some load can reproduce it better as you have observed). Also the road should be very smooth and no bumps. It is harder to notice the problem if the car is too choppy which in general Tundra is due to its off road shocks.
    Also I think I'm getting used to it or maybe I need to find that smooth road again! I felt it tonight but it wasn't as bad!

If you search the net, you will find exact same issue (5th gear pulsation) in another car. Forgot if it was another Toyota model or a different make. If I find it, I'll post the link.

16. Oct 17, 2018 at 8:06 AM
    netranger6

netranger6 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    2021 Crewmax. 4x4, SR5, Blacked Out package
    None. Keeping this one stock.
    Could be a cross wind blowing against your front end.

17. Oct 17, 2018 at 8:27 AM
    gm125800

gm125800 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra Denali
    It's that new Active Fuel Management feature in the Tundras! It goes down to 4Cyl mode which makes your vehicle shake....
    NO?? I'll show myself out...:)

koditten and TTund16[OP] like this.
  18. Nov 7, 2019 at 7:42 PM
    tdn

tdn New Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2021 CM 4x4
    Old thread, but I have the same slight pulsation in 5th gear only, and between 1600 and 2100 rpm

any solution? Concerns?

(2016 w/ 67k)

19. Nov 7, 2019 at 8:41 PM
    bensky

bensky PlatinumPro

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2018 Red Platinum Tundra
    I would check the power steering pump and fluid levels. I had an old GMC truck that pulsed the steering wheel just before the power steering pump went kablooey!

I also remember something about the Lexus LX taking ATF in stead of power steering fluid. Not sure if ours is the same. Yours could be funky if someone put the wrong fluid in it.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  20. Nov 10, 2019 at 2:36 PM
    tdn

tdn New Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2021 CM 4x4
    Well... yesterday got my oil changed and tires rotated. And, while I might be deceiving myself or just haven't tried on a real smooth road... but I think it has gone away. Will check back if it isn't tire related after all.

Products Discussed in

To Top