1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

puddle/foot lights

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by shukvegas, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Sep 7, 2015 at 3:34 PM
    shukvegas

shukvegas [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tundra Crewmax Platinum
    Hello all. I have a 2011 Tundra Crewmax Platinum and the puddle lights on my mirrors don't work. I have turned on every switch possible and can't get them to come on. Any help would be great. Thank you.

2. Sep 7, 2015 at 3:39 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Have they always not worked?

3. Sep 7, 2015 at 3:43 PM
    shukvegas

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Just bought it a couple of days ago. Not sure if they ever did.

4. Sep 7, 2015 at 3:47 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Double checked all connections?
    Make sure bulbs are good?

5. Sep 7, 2015 at 3:50 PM
    shukvegas

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I pulled the lights, look fine. Just weird that both don't work. Couldn't actually get to the bulbs; I think they are sealed?

6. Sep 7, 2015 at 9:02 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    They're sealed. They don't turn on when you open the door? The switch on the dash to the left of the steering wheel labeled door/off/on (I think) is moved to 'door'? They should turn on when you unlock the doors with the key fob too.

7. Sep 8, 2015 at 2:13 AM
    shukvegas

Member:
    Vehicle:
    They do not turn on when i open the door or unlock it with the fob. It is an aftermarket fob; it has remote starter. The switch is on the door position.

8. Sep 8, 2015 at 7:45 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    An aftermarket fob isn't a factor, it shouldn't be. I have one with the remote start as well, and my puddle lights work. When you unlock the truck does the cabin light on the ceiling come on? When you shut the engine off by turning the key to "off", does the cabin light turn on? In both cases, the puddle lights and the light in the driver's floor area should come on too.

9. Sep 8, 2015 at 9:55 AM
    shukvegas

Member:
    Vehicle:
    All the lights come on when I unlock and shut the engine off. Is it possible that both lights are bad and need to be replaced?

10. Sep 8, 2015 at 10:32 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    It's possible, but would be kinda unlikely. If you have a continuity tester you could check them, I think that they're incandescent lamps, not LEDs. If they check good, check for voltage at the mirror wires that connect to the lamps.

11. Sep 8, 2015 at 8:47 PM
    DesertToy

DesertToy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2010 Limited Tundra Crew Max
    Leveled, Peragon bed cover. Yep that's it!
    First check the fuse panel on the inside of your truck. Driver side right behind the hood release latch. It will have a diagram of what fuses are in there and the cover pops right off. Check those fuses first.

By the way does anyone have a clue on how to replace those to LED lights? What lights have you used if you have made this upgrade?

12. Sep 9, 2015 at 7:02 AM
    shukvegas

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I'll take a look.

13. Sep 9, 2015 at 4:20 PM
    shukvegas

Member:
    Vehicle:
    The bulbs have continuity and there is power at the wires.

14. Sep 9, 2015 at 4:22 PM
    shukvegas

Member:
    Vehicle:
    If a fuse was blown, wouldn't other things not work that was connected to that fuse?

15. Sep 9, 2015 at 8:49 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    I'm really scratching my head...

Will the lamps illuminate if powered from another source? Some wire and your trucks battery. Polarity shouldn't matter with these, I hope. I've replace one of mine and I don't recall the connections being polarity specific.

I added Limited mirrors to my SR5 and the puddle lamps are wired to the footwell lamp. With Platinum rides like yours, I think there's a small ECU of sorts that manages yours....unless not all Platinums have puddle lamps and the Limited mirrors were added by the Previous Owner and they weren't wired up, but don't the Plats pretty much all have them?

16. Sep 10, 2015 at 5:09 AM
    shukvegas

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I wonder if they can be shut off via the computer? I'm going to call my local Toyota dealership and ask.

17. Sep 10, 2015 at 7:57 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    I haven't noticed any setting in TechStream.

18. Sep 10, 2015 at 9:41 AM
    shukvegas

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I haven't checked the fuses, but multiple items are co-located with the puddle lights and if a fuse was blown other lights wouldn't work. Right?!?

19. Sep 10, 2015 at 10:04 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Yep.

Monty_T likes this.
  20. Sep 10, 2015 at 11:33 AM
    shukvegas

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I rechecked the lights and power supply. The lights work, but there is no power getting to the lights.

21. Sep 10, 2015 at 3:41 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    I think that I've reached a dead end for suggestions other than trying to follow the wiring back to the common power source for the lamps, its not telling them to turn on for some reason.

22. Sep 16, 2015 at 8:20 PM
    DesertToy

DesertToy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2010 Limited Tundra Crew Max
    Leveled, Peragon bed cover. Yep that's it!
    I think I'm going to order some better lights from vled online and see how they work. The ones I tried were from a local car store so it could have been the lights. All my lights work fine after a simple fuse change.

23. Sep 26, 2015 at 4:59 AM
    shukvegas

Member:
    Vehicle:
    The fuse for it is to the left of the steering wheel? Isn't there other lights that are tied in with the puddle light fuse?

24. Sep 26, 2015 at 2:41 PM
    bobeast

bobeast really old member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Hollister, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC
    - Bull Bar - LED Bunny Burners - AMP retractable running boards - Headlight leveling retrofit - P3 Brake Controller - 60% rear seat delete - relocation of Sub to rear wall - Bilstein 5100 x4, top setting with 2 shims per side - Coach builder +2 rear shackles w/carrier bearing drop - Firestone Air bags - on-board compressor with auto-leveling - Dual Undercover Swing Boxes. - P285/65/R20 (34.6") BFG TA KO2's - TRD Front skid plate - Pop & Lock Tailgate lock - Remote Tailgate mod - LED Headlights - Nav Bypass - iPhone integration - Serius/XM retrofit - 25% front tint - Bizon electric tonneau cover - Power folding tow mirror upgrade - 2010+ leveling Headlight mod - Auto-fold mirror mod. - one-touch lane changer mod - Flash to open garage opener mod - Rigid H/L fog light upgrade - Pushbutton / Remote start mod.
    Right! Now go check your fuses. ;)

25. Sep 29, 2015 at 4:19 AM
    shukvegas

Member:
    Vehicle:
    If the other lights running through the same fuse are working, wouldn't the puddle lights work too? They should come on when the door is opened or if you unlock it using the FOB. I will check the fuse to make sure it is the correct one.

26. Sep 29, 2015 at 4:37 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    No, there could be many reasons (switch, bad bulb, bad connection). Pull the fuse and check its continuity though, just to be sure, and it's really easy to do. I plan to hook TechStream up to my truck today for some changes, I'll try to remember to check for settings relating to the puddle lights. The only other thing that I can think of is that your truck may not have come with the mirrors that have puddle lamps and the previous owner changed them out with ones that do. In that case, to determine that, you may need to contact that person or pull the mirror connector and check to see if the harness is wired for them.

27. Sep 29, 2015 at 5:12 AM
    shukvegas

Member:
    Vehicle:
    The bulbs are good, I checked them last week. The fuse panel is to the left of the steering wheel, correct? It's a Platinum; so I'm assuming it came with puddle lights. I was also thinking that the previous owner might have swapped out the mirrors too. How would I know if the wire harness has been wired for them? Thanks for your help!

28. Sep 29, 2015 at 8:40 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    There is a small fuse panel tucked up under the dash to the left of the steering column, you'll likely have to be on your back on the floor to see it. I would think that a Platinum would have the puddle lights from the factory...but stranger things ya know. To check the harness, you'll have to pull the plastic panel on the inside of the door where the mirror is attached, sometimes called a sail panel. Then we'd look at the connector for the wires. Not difficult, but checking fuses is easier. I'm a fan of checking the easy stuff first.

29. Oct 9, 2015 at 12:46 PM
    shukvegas

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I checked all fuses and they are good. Wire harness is good too. Where you able to check TechStream settings?

30. Oct 10, 2015 at 10:09 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    I was, and there was nothing that I could change to stop my puddle lights from turning on when opening the doors. But remember that I added mine and that they are wired into the small lamp to the left of the steering wheel in front of the driver's left shin.

What you might try next is removing the small plastic triangle piece from the inside of the door panel where the mirrors attach. It pulls straight away and flies in some random direction. Pull out the connector for the electrical and see if the number of wires coming from the harness is the same as the number of pins on the mirrors.

We didn't try that yet have we?

Products Discussed in

To Top