1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

PSA .... Take Care Of Yourselves Tundra Brothers & Sisters

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by DJFaninTN, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Jan 26, 2020 at 7:32 PM
    DJFaninTN

DJFaninTN [OP] New Member

Member:
    Panama City Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    2018 Super White 1794
    I saw another thread earlier today on here about someone losing a couple of friends to cancer. I recently found out that I had skin cancer on my head and face. I've been going to the dermatologist for the past year. There have been a few places they've frozen over the last several months but got some news that two biopsies they sent in for testing came back positive. They gave me the choice of surgery or radiation. I chose radiation. Better results have been seen from radiation vs surgery. There are some side effects but for me this was the best choice.

As a kid of the 60's & 70's we didn't really know much about sunscreen and my parents didn't make much money so we never wore it. As an adult I've tried to be better at applying sunscreen but there have been many times where I just didn't really think about it. And if you think you cannot get skin cancer, there are many examples of people getting skin cancer who never go out in the sun so it can happen to anyone and on any place on their body. Yes it can kill you if it goes untreated.

So for me it's sunscreen daily and wearing a hat here is sunny Florida. I never thought I'd have cancer before the age of 60. Thank God for having AFLAC to cover the cost of the radiation treatments.

I encourage everyone to go and get screened at least once a year. Your family, friends and your wallet will thank you.

Skew12, bleach, KarmaKannon and 15 others like this.
  2. Jan 26, 2020 at 7:35 PM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    I go check myself out cause of some moles to make sure they are benign.

Take care of that

3. Jan 27, 2020 at 5:53 AM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    Basal cell, squamous cell, or melanoma?

Therapy I've experienced from four different dermatologists for basal and squamous is any suspicious spots, unless clearly cancer, have been frozen twice. If they keep coming back after a couple of freezings, then they are cut off and biopsied. Obvious cancers are cut off and biopsied as diagnosed. If pathology indicates malignant, the next step is usually Mohs surgery where the area is excised in thin cuts as many times as it takes to have the edges free of cancer cells. The pathology is done with you in the waiting room. A good Mohs surgeon can get it all in two cuts. Radiation has never been offered to me.

I agree...If anyone is not seeing a dermatologist annually, you should be...Especially if you fair-skinned.

4. Jan 27, 2020 at 3:57 PM
    DJFaninTN

DJFaninTN [OP] New Member

Member:
    Panama City Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    2018 Super White 1794
    Squamous Cell. The cool thing about radiation is they can and do an ultrasound before each radiation treatment. This way they know they are zeroing in on the correct spot plus they can tell if it is shrinking or not or how much radiation is needed.

I am scheduled for 20 rounds so I am almost half way through it.

5. Jan 27, 2020 at 5:18 PM
    Kerch71

Kerch71 Surgical Precision

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 CM SC TRD Pro/ICON/Total Chaos Build
    CM TRD Pro glass panels, Icon 2.5, TC long travel UCA/LCA, Toyota supercharger, Airlift rear suspension, Warn winch, custom front and rear bumper, Coachbuilder roof rack, lengthened chassis 12", 37" Nitto Grapplers, custom graphics, Magnaflow Flowmaster 4" SS Exhaust
    Here's hoping everything works out for you. I've been a surfer for 35 years, lived in the Caribbean for 2 1/2 years. I hear you about protecting your skin. Can't say that it was always my priority, but I do plan on getting screened by a dermatologist.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  6. Feb 4, 2020 at 2:20 PM
    Bergmen

Bergmen New Member

Member:
    Ukiah, California
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue Pearl DC 4X2 SR5
    At my age (70) I get inspected about every six months by a dermatologist. As a youth, we spent every summer day out in the sun (hiking, around the pool, just being outdoors). It was considered healthy to have a rich tan and we did that every year.

Now I get checked to make sure nothing is happening as a result of my youth. I've had a couple of small non-lethal pre-cancerous lesions removed (some with liquid nitrogen, others by surgery) but so far nothing serious.

Dan

7. Feb 4, 2020 at 2:55 PM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC SR5 Barcelona
    Alot of them
    I hear ya! My wife used to work for a dermatologist so I hear about it all the time. Fl here too so yes the sun is brutal.

8. Mar 9, 2020 at 7:37 PM
    SuperWhite20

SuperWhite20 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Georgetown TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Crewmax SR5 4X4
    TRD Sway bar. Deck Rails, Maxliner rear floor mat, Driver side grab handle. Dee Zee bed mat
    We have a lady friend from church that used a tanning bed all the time when she was young. Paying for it now having to have cancer cut off all the time from her legs and arms.

9. Mar 11, 2020 at 11:39 AM
    mtntop

mtntop New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2004 4x4 Access Cab SR5
    Thanks for the reminder, I grew up in Florida too, never used sunscreen either. I visit the dermatologist every year with the same results, something cut or frozen off each time.

SuperWhite20 likes this.
  10. Mar 13, 2020 at 8:18 PM
    SuperWhite20

SuperWhite20 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Georgetown TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Crewmax SR5 4X4
    TRD Sway bar. Deck Rails, Maxliner rear floor mat, Driver side grab handle. Dee Zee bed mat
    I never wear a hat. But dermatologist does that to me every 6 months too.

11. Mar 14, 2020 at 8:29 AM
    Bergmen

Bergmen New Member

Member:
    Ukiah, California
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue Pearl DC 4X2 SR5
    If I spend any time outdoors at our place (we have a small 3 acre hobby farm) I wear a straw hat (driving the tractor, the lawn ride-a-mower, etc.).

Dan

Products Discussed in

To Top