1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Protecting my New Tundra from Ocean Salt

Discussion in 'Texas' started by TonkaTundraSPI, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Jan 30, 2018 at 12:16 PM
    TonkaTundraSPI

TonkaTundraSPI [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TSS 4x4
    Black out Package
    Any Help would be appreciated:

Just moved to South Padre Island and was informed this is the 3rd saltiest Beach in the world :/

Wondering if you all have any recommendations for soaps that will help my 2018 truck not rust. My hope is there is a deionizing product that is worthwhile.

Purchased a power washer and using that weekly. Currently using Turtle wax liquid soap but im noticing a film or residue on my windshield that I'm assuassu is salt..

Feeling a little anxious about this

TXRailRoadBandit73 and nk1794 like this.
  2. Jan 30, 2018 at 12:24 PM
    Yzed608

Yzed608 New Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    I'm watching this thread for ideas that would carry over on winter road salt. I'll admit first winter on this truck and I didn't do anything special besides the factory rust preventative coating on it. I'm hoping that holds up well (stuff is kind of nasty, from what I've seen of it washing the truck and removing stock pieces for some of my mods so far). Hope you get some good suggestions!

nk1794 and TonkaTundraSPI[OP] like this.
  3. Jan 30, 2018 at 12:32 PM
    Newm

Newm New Member

Member:
    KC
  4. Jan 30, 2018 at 12:53 PM
    OBXTundra

OBXTundra Member

Member:
    Southeast USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan Armada, 4x4
    X2 for fluid film.

I feel you with the salt paranoia. I live in Coastal NC. Most warm days you can taste the salt in the air. I wash the truck weekly, even if it's just with the garden hose, top and undercarriage. I spray all suspension components, leaf springs, frame, brake lines etc...with fluid film a couple times a year. Spray the inside of your bumpers as well, bumpers will rot from the inside out. I could go on and on about all the OCD stuff I do. Just wash it frequently, use fluid film underneath, and if you do notice any rust anywhere treat it quickly.

nk1794 and TonkaTundraSPI[OP] like this.
  5. Jan 30, 2018 at 1:07 PM
    TonkaTundraSPI

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TSS 4x4
    Black out Package
    Awesome . Thanks for the tips. How many cans can I expect to use?

6. Jan 30, 2018 at 1:12 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    I don’t live in the salt belt but it took me two or three cans. Try that first if you like it I would suggest buying it by the gallon. Then using a spraygun. I seen a couple members here had outfitted themselves with something cool like that.

7. Jan 30, 2018 at 4:20 PM
    TXRailRoadBandit73

TXRailRoadBandit73 YOTAS,RAILROADER,RÖKnRÖLLN',BEER,MAX/GEMMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    The 956, TEXAS
    None yet
    Welcome from Houston! I'm originally from the RGV and love me some SPI!!! What part you live in?

8. Mar 12, 2018 at 6:33 AM
    OBXTundra

OBXTundra Member

Member:
    Southeast USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan Armada, 4x4
    Another product that I started using recently is CRC SP-400. I still use Fluid Film, but have found that I need to avoid hitting it with the pressure washer or even a powerful garden hose. A pressure washer, even with a green tip, will completely remove fluid film.

The SP-400 goes on very thin, but once it sets up, it's there for the long haul. I like it because it can get down into seams and crevices, but then sets up to almost a waxy film. It's still flexible, remains a little gummy, but would require either chemicals or very high pressure to remove.

I have started to use this on my frame, body mounts, brake lines, fuel lines, and leaf springs. It does leave an amber hue, it is not clear. After checking on it after a few days I'm sold on it providing some real long term protection.

TonkaTundraSPI[OP] likes this.
  9. Mar 12, 2018 at 8:21 AM
    TonkaTundraSPI

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TSS 4x4
    Black out Package
    After looking into these products. I've realized I may not have the tools to get under my truck. Do you all just use some ramps and crawl underneath or has anyone paid someone to apply these products?

10. Mar 12, 2018 at 8:36 AM
    OBXTundra

OBXTundra Member

Member:
    Southeast USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan Armada, 4x4
    Some ramps might help for a little extra space, I've never needed them. Wear some old clothes and a dust mask, plan on getting the product on you. Spray away, really hard to mess this process up. 3 cans and about 30 minutes of my time gives me piece of mind that my undercarriage will last many years.

I've treated the underside of most of my vehicles with some form of corrosion protection, usually Fluid Film. I've used Amsoil Metal Protector before as well (expensive). The CRC SP-400 appears to be the same consistency, color, and smell as the Amsoil product.

I'll hit it really heavy the first time I treat it. Then I'll crawl under and spot treat about once a year.

11. May 25, 2018 at 7:19 AM
    rustynail11

rustynail11 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Mansfield,TX (DFW Area)
    Vehicle:
    2017 Grey Tundra TRD
    try some Rain X on the windshield , may help with the salt residue

12. May 25, 2018 at 7:25 AM
    TXRailRoadBandit73

TXRailRoadBandit73 YOTAS,RAILROADER,RÖKnRÖLLN',BEER,MAX/GEMMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    The 956, TEXAS
    None yet
  13. May 25, 2018 at 7:30 AM
    Steve6

Steve6 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Tundra SR5 TRD Off Road
    I lived on South Padre Island for several years. Most corrosive environment I've ever lived in and I lived all around the gulf coast for years. That southeast wind brings the salt air in off of the gulf constantly. I have used Shooters Choice Rust Prevent as well as Boeshield T9 for corrosion protection on tools and hardware. Both of those products are probably too pricey to use to undercoat your vehicle on a regular basis but you might want to consider them for areas that are particularly prone to corrosion.

Products Discussed in

To Top