1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Projected New Owner

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Danog, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Apr 16, 2016 at 2:01 PM
    Danog

Danog [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tundra 1794
    Greetings all,

I am in current negotiations with the Toyota Dealer here in Anchorage, Alaska. I am in the military and will be moving from Alaska to California this May, and want to take advantage of the fact that I will not have to pay sales tax here. I started out wanting all the options, but after seeing the cost of everything, and the fact a lot of it I wasn't really happy with, I have to buy a pure stock 1794.

Now some things I am still thinking about having them do would be the bed liner and the paint protection film.

The quote I received for a 2016 4WD tundra with Bed liner and Off Road package was $49.5k, no taxes or anything, and that's not including the licensing and doc. Hopefully that is a good deal, if anyone has something to share, please let me know.

I plan to drive this in a few weeks thru Alaska and Canada to California when I move, and figured it would be best to upgrade it there.

With that in mind is there anything that I should Seriously consider the dealer doing that I am not already considering? I will probably end up buying a stock 1794, unless someone can tell me that the TRD Package is worth it.

Thanks for all you time, and am looking forward to possibly becoming a new member of this group.

V/r-

Dan

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    T-Rex266 likes this.
  2. Apr 16, 2016 at 2:11 PM
    mdavis

mdavis I need a beer.

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Rock Hill, SC
    Welcome. It all depends on what your plans are. If you ever think you'll put a lift on it, then I would not spend the extra on the TRD package. If you change the shocks, all you'll have left of the package is the bed stickers.

The bed liner depends on price. If they charge anymore then $500, I would say nah and get Linex.

3. Apr 16, 2016 at 2:16 PM
    Danog

Danog [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tundra 1794
    Thanks that's exactly what I was thinking as well

4. Apr 16, 2016 at 2:36 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Welcome! As mentioned above, spray in bed liner would be perfect from the dealer. I would also consider a clear-bra on the front hood / grill / behind door handles and ignition area.

5. Apr 16, 2016 at 2:43 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    Try to get some miles on the truck before making that long trip. There's a lot of different views on breaking in a new engine these days but I would atleast try to avoid constant speed for long periods. Try to avoid using cruise control. And personally, if I were to spend that much for a limited, I'd probably just go for a PRO.

6. Apr 16, 2016 at 2:47 PM
    Danog

Danog [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tundra 1794
    Thanks for the reminder about the break in, as far as the truck, I just love the 1794 interior, all the other "Pro" things I would probably just do myself anyway later on.

7. Apr 16, 2016 at 7:51 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
    For paint protection I bought and installed SunTek paint protection film from www.Lamin-X.com, the stuff rocks and wasn't too bad to install for a first timer.

I only have about 7k miles on my truck, but it is holding up well so far.

8. Apr 16, 2016 at 9:57 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    I still get sticker shock when I see someone post "50,000.00" for a flippen 1/2 ton truck. Before I take a dirt nap, I will most likely see a 75-85k 1/2 ton and a 110k 3/4-1 ton truck.

9. Apr 17, 2016 at 7:20 AM
    mdavis

mdavis I need a beer.

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Rock Hill, SC
    Some of the new F150's are over $60K. :eek:

ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Apr 17, 2016 at 7:41 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Yeah, you are right. Even a 1/2 ton GMC Denali is spendy. My FIL 12' F150 EB was $50k+ and is looking to sell it with 55k miles on it due to all the little issues he has had with it. That truck has never worked one day. It is for freeway traveling only.

I'm pretty sure my last brand new vehicle purchase (for me) was in 2004. Not sure what way I'm swinging yet on my next truck purchase (may just go Freightliner FL series) and just keep my Tundra or a newer one for daily driving. These trucks are just work horses that have yet to let me down.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  11. Apr 17, 2016 at 7:02 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    Welcome!

12. Apr 17, 2016 at 9:30 PM
    trayday

trayday New Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 limited CM 5.7
    7" BDS, ADS front and rear, Total Chaos UCA's, CB tie rods
    You can buy mine if you want. Its posted on CL under Eugene Oregon. For the TRD package, it depends on how you plan on using it. Besides the sticker and shocks, it also comes with skid plates. Also, the paint protection film I was quoted $800 from the dealer but can be purchased for a lot cheaper from a shop that specializes in protection film, I was quoted $400 to have the front end, fenders and rear bumper filmed.

Products Discussed in

To Top