1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Problem electrical interior lamp LED bulb swap

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Hamtastic70, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Feb 12, 2017 at 9:22 AM
    Hamtastic70

Hamtastic70 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tundra V6 4x2 5 Spd Manual White
    Stock
    So first my left side OEM map light bulb goes dark. Months later the dome light goes out. I make up my mind to stop putting it off and purchasing replacement bulbs. So while in Auto Zone, I get the brilliant ;) idea to replace those old fashioned planet hating energy wasting incandescent bulbs with brand spankin new LED equivalents.

Shoulda come here first! I've read so many old posts about people's problems when doing the exact same swap. Problem is most of these seemed to be for model years other than 1st gen.

So I've read in the lighting sticky that both the Dome AND map light in the 2004 model year are the DE3175. The problem is that if you look at the OEM dome light bulb, it is clearly physically shorter than the two map light bulbs. The dome and map bulb do not appear to be at all interchangeable. Also, until I started messing with this stuff, the right lamp was fine. now that's out too. That's problem one.

The next problem is that during the bulb replacement operation, I did something else in. Because NOW, whenever I switch the ignition to off and come back to restart the vehicle, the time on the radio clock resets to 1:00 like when you disconnect the battery. So the unit works fine once I switch the power on. But whatever supplies the head unit with power while the engine is off and power to the main bus is off, is being interrupted somehow.
    I guess I suspect a blown fuse, but have no idea where to start t/s.

Products Discussed in

To Top