1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pretty sure this topic has been discussed before...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by T-Rex266, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Jan 20, 2020 at 9:50 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 [OP] Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    I can keyword search cable tv all day and have results everywhere.

We currently pay $200 a month for cable, top internet, and home alarm.

I am debating cutting cable as we really don’t watch much, other than a few select channels.

We have Netflix, and Amazon Prime video.

For those who cut their cable, what is your opinion on Hulu, Hulu+ etc.

Any other solutions?

jewsNbrews likes this.
  2. Jan 20, 2020 at 9:55 AM
    jewsNbrews

jewsNbrews SSEM #8 level 3, RGBA #5 lab tested lab approved

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Jewiston Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD PRO
    Bolt on
    Cut cable/satelite 2 years ago. I stream nfl games, and watch hulu and Netflix from time to time. Hulu is ok, i dont have hulu +. Heard hulu plus was going to have disney as well. TV consumption has decreased all year except during football season. Half tempted to drop hulu and Netflix as well.

nlaroy and P-Factor like this.
  3. Jan 20, 2020 at 9:55 AM
    BuckWallace

BuckWallace Ball don't lie.

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Sierra 3500 AT4 Gasser
    Aside from the Hulu exclusives, I've found that Amazon has most of the same movies and TV shows found on Hulu. If you have a good way to run a coax from a long-range antenna to your TV(s), you can get a ton of HD channels over the air as well. I understand sometimes it's prohibitive to run coax, but some of the smaller antennae can also get pretty good reception.

nlaroy and zcarpenter92 like this.
  4. Jan 20, 2020 at 9:59 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
  5. Jan 20, 2020 at 10:02 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    I called up my cable company to cut it recently. They wanted to keep me so bad that they lowered my price to $20 a month. So I kept it LOL. We’ll see what happens when the year is up. I just have to make sure I call them before it’s up otherwise I get a surprise full charge bill.

I have Hulu but we don’t really watch it much. I should probably upgrade to Hulu plus because the commercials kill me. I use Netflix, Amazon, Pluto and Tubi. We also have the hook up on Plex. I get Hulu for free because of my sister as well as Amazon because of the in-laws. Then we share our Netflix password with them. That definitely helps cut down on the cost, splitting it between family members.

Oh yeah, we recently got Disney+. That one’s pretty cool.

Trooper2 and TXRailRoadBandit73 like this.
  6. Jan 20, 2020 at 10:04 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Apple+, Disney +, Philo, Amazon video, and over the air.

15whtrd likes this.
  7. Jan 20, 2020 at 10:38 AM
    Tchase

Tchase MostlyLurk

Member:
    Buckley WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 White Tundra Limited
    In work
    The nice thing about the extra streaming services, is you can stop and start them without even talking to a human being. We bring on HULU when there are shows to binge, Prime and netflix are a primary along with sling. On Prime we will add HBO watch, then drop, same with showtime stars ect.

You don't need to pay for top tier internet, we have the base line DSL line ($55.00) a month no taxes flat 55. As for your alarm, you should look into Ring for a monitored system I'm not sure you can beat the price. Some months we might spend more than cable, others we don't again this is the nice thing about cord cutting you can bring them on and take them off.

I also recommend piping a over the air HD antenna into your cable line so you have OTATV on all the tvs for the local channels.

Been off cable for 4 years, other than the birth of my children and marrying my wife, the next best day was when I brought in all the cable boxes to comcast and told them good by.

You can use chrome cast, or the fire stick, but I have found Roku to be the best for being user friendly and compatible with all the streaming services.

8. Jan 20, 2020 at 10:44 AM
    fisherman951

fisherman951 MT dreams

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 crewmax 4x4
    Check out myiptvnow, 25 bucks a month. Can put on 4 devices and u get ALL the channels out there

9. Jan 20, 2020 at 10:46 AM
    duece292

duece292 Appalachian American

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Green Bay, WI
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra SR5 CM TRD 5.7 4X4
    My wife and I cut the cable years ago after TW refused to lower my rate. We watch very little TV but we have a digital antenna that picks up about 25 local channels. We also have Netflix and Hulu but I can't tell you the last time we watched either one. I have a Sling TV account for football season. The nice thing with sling is that I can pause the service at any time and resume it any time at no charge.

10. Jan 20, 2020 at 10:47 AM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
    I use a Roku box to stream TV. Best thing I did was returning the boxes and modem and using my own.

P-Factor likes this.
  11. Jan 20, 2020 at 10:53 AM
    SprinterAE86

SprinterAE86 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Charlottetown, PE, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Sequoia Platinum
    Bilstein 5100 2.3/1.5, TRD sway bars ft/rr, Cooper Tires Discoverer AT3 XLT 295.70.18, Vision Manx 2 18x9 +12, APS side armor steps, TRD-Pro Grill and Bulge, de-chromed, blackout emblems, OEM mirror caps and flares, TRD shift knob, Leather wrapped steering wheel, All weather mats
    I been cable free for over 10yrs. OTA and high speed internet, al a carte the rest. I have prime, netflix. HBO, showtime and others are only subscribed fir binge watching new seasons. Then cancel, until the next season.

12. Jan 20, 2020 at 10:55 AM
    Aerindel

Aerindel New Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra AC, SR5, 4.7 V8 4WD, 325,00ish miles.
    Hulu sucks.

We have Amazon, netflix, hulu and disney and just cancled hulu as there is nothing on it we actually watch on hulu.

We have never had cable, and only get one channel over the air.

13. Jan 20, 2020 at 11:01 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Thats the one thing I miss about my old house. They never disconnected the cable when the previous owner moved out, and we had free cable for 20 years. I wonder if the new owner ever realized it.

Trooper2 likes this.
  14. Jan 20, 2020 at 11:02 AM
    captainnemojr

captainnemojr New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra 1794 4x4
    Antenna in the attic. Disney+ with Verizon for a year. Hulu, Amazon, Netflix.

It depends on where you live though. We are stuck with ATT or Spectrum, so we get screwed. I’ve had Spectrum for 9 years but they could care less about me and keep raising rates. ATT speed sucks for streaming here.

15. Jan 20, 2020 at 11:05 AM
    TundraDude18

TundraDude18 Deus vult

Member:
    'Merica
    Vehicle:
    '21 Limited CM
    Silver Bullet Express
    Yeah, we didn't have tv for a number of years and didn't miss it.

Recently, we got ATT TV, but between our Cable America internet bill [which we have to have for work reasons] and the ATT TV bill, it's almost 200 bucks. [Cool thing, though, is that I can watch tv anywhere on my large iphone 11 pro, which is cool for sports and stuff when stuck waiting somewhere.]

My brother who manages a large, high-end aduio-visual and alarm company in Northwest Arkansas says to buy a Roku 4 [their best one, whatever it's called, like a hundred bucks or so one-time expense] and subscribe to youtube tv for 50 bucks a month. That's what he does, and he can watch anything [live sports or whatever], plus he can watch anything that has played on tv within the last 30 days, retroactively at any time.

We have a neighbor who has youtube tv, and she says it works flawlessly [and we live in a rural area].

jewsNbrews likes this.
  16. Jan 20, 2020 at 11:16 AM
    Danimal86

Danimal86 Looks clean even when its dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra SR5
  17. Jan 20, 2020 at 11:20 AM
    TundraDude18

TundraDude18 Deus vult

Member:
    'Merica
    Vehicle:
    '21 Limited CM
    Silver Bullet Express
    Another cool thing about ATT TV is that I can throw anything on my computer to my tv, just by hitting a button.

18. Jan 20, 2020 at 2:49 PM
    Alexstundra

Alexstundra Not a new member

Member:
    Northeast PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM DC Trd
    3-1 level kit with add a leaf. 295/70/18r cooper max. Spider head light tail light and third brake light, tint, badges off, ladder racks, trd pro grill, color matched hood bulge, grab handle,coach builder +2, dv8 front bumper with winch, fender flares, bed cover....
    Sling is pretty good. I also have Hulu and Netflix and hbo. Share with my brother and my other buddy. Pay less than $50 a month and have pretty much everything

19. Jan 20, 2020 at 2:55 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    you cut the cable but then you add other services. Don't worry they still make money ;)
    At the end, it's very similar if you want to retain the features you have now. When I add everything I'm not far away imo: high speed internet + netflix + ATT TV now + Prime + alarm own monitoring services

you want Disney, add disney +, you want ufc, add ESPN+..etc...etc..

20. Jan 20, 2020 at 3:04 PM
    MrAristo

MrAristo Hounty Bunter

Member:
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    ‘01 4X4 Limited TRD
    Buy a firestick (or any of the plenty android streaming devices), jailbreak it and do your research on VPNs. Pay $30 a month for 100mbps WiFi and am able to watch any channel (live) you can think of. Life is easier.

21. Jan 20, 2020 at 5:15 PM
    Sas

Sas Humor is everywhere

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    OKC, OK
    Vehicle:
    '17 SR5 CM TSS 4WD MGM 5.7 FF
    Lost track after #1.
    I started with Hulu's live TV w/cloud DVR and no ads, and bailed on it about a month ago because they were raising their prices again. Their live streaming service is okay. It's not as good as AT&T Uverse or Dish/Direct, but it's fairly close. Their live TV guide is really buggy. Their "no ads" also has fine print - there's still quite a few ads. It just skips some of them sometimes and allows you to skip them in certain DVR'd shows ... sometimes. Now I have the Hulu, Disney, ESPN+ package. It's $12.99. No live TV. I missed the live TV for a couple of weeks, but am used to it now.

I use NewsOn for my local news - it's free.

I also subscribed to OANN for $5 per month or so (maybe it's $6, I forget) for live news throughout the day.

I use a buddy of mine's Netflix. I'm not a fan of that platform TBH. There just isn't much there I watch (although I'm still waiting on the 2nd season of Altered Carbon to come out).

I occasionally pop over to PlutoTV if I'm in the mood to watch something old/obscure/eccentric/etc...

T-Rex266[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  22. Jan 20, 2020 at 5:33 PM
    Kerch71

Kerch71 Surgical Precision

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 CM SC TRD Pro/ICON/Total Chaos Build
    CM TRD Pro glass panels, Icon 2.5, TC long travel UCA/LCA, Toyota supercharger, Airlift rear suspension, Warn winch, custom front and rear bumper, Coachbuilder roof rack, lengthened chassis 12", 37" Nitto Grapplers, custom graphics, Magnaflow Flowmaster 4" SS Exhaust
    Sling and hd antenna for sports, hulu with HBO, netflix, Amazon prime, and disney +. I cut DirecTV 3yrs ago and don't miss it at all.

23. Jan 20, 2020 at 6:22 PM
    T-Rex266

Member:
    What’s OANN? I have Netflix, for free as T-Mobile pays for it as part of the plan

24. Jan 20, 2020 at 6:26 PM
    Sas

Sas Humor is everywhere

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    OKC, OK
    Vehicle:
    '17 SR5 CM TSS 4WD MGM 5.7 FF
    Lost track after #1.
    T-Rex266[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  25. Jan 20, 2020 at 6:32 PM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    I just finally cut the cord last month after putting it off way too long. I have hulu live and Amazon and I can watch everything I did before and found more that I wanna watch. I just fired through 2 seasons of jack Ryan in 4 days lol.
    I do miss just hitting the guide and flipping around but I am starting to get used to using the apps. With hulu live I can watch any live event or sports that I could with cable. I can't believe I held on this long to basically channel surf and use a simpler guide.
    It's an adjustment but its worth it.

T-Rex266[OP] likes this.
  26. Jan 20, 2020 at 6:34 PM
    T-Rex266

Member:
    I can do cable + internet + alarm for $135. Still, not sure it’s worth it. If I worked for my cable company I would get free cable (all channels) and internet!

jewsNbrews likes this.
  27. Jan 20, 2020 at 6:50 PM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    I can't think of a good reason to have cable anymore unless you're a HUGE sports fan. I'm 31 and I've only had cable for about 1 year of my adult life.

Netflix and Amazon Prime is all we use.

28. Jan 20, 2020 at 6:52 PM
    Patch999

Patch999 SSEM #17 You are what you do when it counts

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 Bad@$$ TRD Pro
    I’ve been thinking about doing this but have been putting it off because of sports. Guess I need to see which ones I need to still catch games.

29. Jan 20, 2020 at 7:01 PM
    ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Vehicle:
    2014 Red Toyota Tundra 4X4 TRD Maxcrew
    Firestone Airbags; remote starter; replaced stock mirrors with larger, pull-out mirrors for towing; hard plastic sectional cover for bed.
    Yep, we had Comcast cable, (Xfinity) for 10+ years and cut the cable about a year ago....just kept my internet subscription. (And I bought my own cable modem years ago so I don't have to pay that monthly charge.) Xfinity kept jacking up the price ($160) and we just got tired of having to pester them for a new discount.
    We tried almost all of the pay services. We dumped Roku+Hulu Live because we had two Roku devices and both started malfunctioning soon after we got them. (Overheating, freezing up, etc.) If you research it on the web it's not uncommon.
    Right now, we have Apple TV, Disney Plus with ESPN and Hulu (it's a great price), and Amazon Prime. We don't have a smart TV for the apps so use an Apple TV box (supports 4k but we only have an HD TV right now) and an Amazon stick. I also put an HD antenna (the flat kind) in the window near the TV and we get all the local channels in HD for free. (Great for watching football games on the weekends since I don't have many sports channels via apps.)
    It was a pretty big learning curve over just having the cable box but, man, the content and convenience is great...never going back to cable or a sat dish.

30. Jan 20, 2020 at 7:20 PM
    jewsNbrews

jewsNbrews SSEM #8 level 3, RGBA #5 lab tested lab approved

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Jewiston Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD PRO
    Bolt on
    I mean...you do have the truck for it:boink:

OR18TRD and Pudge like this.