1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pre Collision system

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by shtinthenads, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Mar 21, 2018 at 12:23 PM
    NCinCO

NCinCO Is it Friday yet?

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Thornton, CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 Smoked Mesquite Limited CM TRD
    The TSS has issues even after the upgrade. If it wasn't for the little monkey in the floorboard feature I'd toss it out the window.

Philly Tundra likes this.
  2. Mar 21, 2018 at 5:49 PM
    jHpowderhound

jHpowderhound New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Jackson Wyoming
    Little monkey?

Eric

3. Mar 22, 2018 at 3:43 AM
    ardnutoz

ardnutoz

Member:
    First Name:
    OZ
    SE-PA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Black TRD OR CM Limited
    So i have the same issue in my 2 day old tundra. All the sleet and snow accumulates on the front bumper sensors and the grill emblem and sets off all the bells and whistles as well as the same annunciator on the speedometer. Ive cleaned them off but they quickly get covered up and go off again.

Our highlander has the same system but ive never seen it do this and ive driven it in similar weather conditions.

4. Mar 22, 2018 at 4:53 AM
    Philly Tundra

Philly Tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tre
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited
    Debadged chrome Color matched side mirror door handles Swap chrome grill for color match platinum honeycomb
    I wonder if this is just affecting the newest trucks as others who have had theirs longer haven't had issues.
    Since you had that problem has your lane departure warning worked? Mine has not

5. Mar 22, 2018 at 5:56 AM
    71_340

71_340 The German

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    FLW, MO
    Mine did it this morning because there was some frost on the windshield over the camera area. LDA, radar cruise and pre-collision avoidance wasn't available. I stopped wiped the are clean, restarted the truck (resets the system) and all was OK again.

It really doesn't bother me that much because it only happens when we snow or frost. With that said, I had the same systems on my last two F-150s and they were not nearly as sensitive to the elements, Toyota will figure it out in time with software updates.

6. Mar 22, 2018 at 6:11 AM
    ardnutoz

ardnutoz

Member:
    First Name:
    OZ
    SE-PA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Black TRD OR CM Limited
    to be honest im not sure about the lane departure.. i cleaned all sensors this morning before leaving and it worked just fine on my drive into work this morning.

7. Mar 22, 2018 at 8:39 AM
    RustyPNW

RustyPNW New Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Tundra SR5 CM TRD
    5100 middle setting, stock rears
    I have a 2017 Subaru Forester with Eyesight, very similar to TSS. I drove through a blizzard last weekend and the Eyesight turned off, only to resume after the heavy snow let up. My 2018 tundra seems more prone to have a PCS malfunction even when it's crystal clear driving.

8. Mar 24, 2018 at 4:52 AM
    borntostun

borntostun New Member

Member:
    Hi all.

@Philly Tundra - I've been having pretty much the same issue over the past month. The Pre-Collision/Adaptive Cruise sensor is very clean . . . the PCS light in the dash appears on or randomly. Sometimes I will start up and it's OK; other times it will be turned off.

The thing that really bugs me is that cruise control is disabled if the light is on . . . is there any way to still have old-fashioned cruise control even when the PCS light is on?

In the meantime, I'm gonna take it in to see if they have anything to fix it . . . ARgh.

9. Mar 24, 2018 at 6:17 AM
    PNW_Husky

PNW_Husky New Member

Member:
    Great Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM CM Platinum
    My PCS troubles are still in full swing. Today the dealer called to tell me that the truck was ready and that they had realigned and recalibrated the radar sensor, and that the PCS light was no longer coming on. This is now my third visit to the dealer for this issue. I picked it up, and less than 500 feet after exiting the dealer, the light was back on. Immediately made a U-turn and returned to the dealer. They told me they will have to call Toyota Tech Services on Monday to see if they "can" order a new sensor, but that they need approval from Toyota first. I use my truck for work, and this is becoming quite the inconvenience. This is my first Toyota, paid over 50K for this truck, and I'm already losing faith in Toyota.

10. Mar 24, 2018 at 7:18 AM
    JoeJob

JoeJob Drummer for Booty and the Hoe Fish

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited CM Silver Sky
    TRD rear sway bar, console organizer, stubby antenna, LEDs for cabin, cargo, license plate, and reverse lights, power-fold mirrors, Westin nerf bars, full stereo upgrade. Future - color-match grill surround/bulge, mirror caps, handles, plasti-dip badges.
    I may be having similar issues as above on my 4-week-old CM Limited. The adaptive cruise and BSM and parking sensors all work. I couldn't get lane departure to work when I first got it (tried deliberately weaving on the highway when there were no other cars). No alerts. The collision detection has beeped and displayed BRAKE 4 times since I've had it, but it has not actually applied the brakes. Three of those times were when there was nothing in front of me either. The fourth time was when someone stopped short in front of me. The dealership told me the software update was done before I took delivery, and nothing shows up for my VIN when I check online for recalls. The I have never turned the pre-collision off.

11. Mar 24, 2018 at 7:53 AM
    wigsplitter

wigsplitter New Member

Member:
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 TSS Crew Max
    I have not had any of the issues thankfully in my 2018. I bought it back in October 2017.

straight from Toyota Safety Sense site
    https://www.toyota.com/safety-sense/animation/pcs

Lane Departure Alert

Under certain circumstances, Lane Departure Alert (LDA) 18 is designed to detect lane departure on roads with clear markings. LDA only activates when you’re traveling at a speed of 32 mph or faster. When you hear and see the alert, after carefully checking the road around you, you should safely direct your vehicle back to the center of your lane.

Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (TSS-P 25 only)

Intended for highways and similar to “constant speed” cruise control, Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC) 21 lets you drive at a preset speed. DRCC uses vehicle-to-vehicle distance control, which adjusts your speed, to help you maintain a preset distance from vehicles ahead of you that are driving at a slower speed. DRCC uses a front-grille-mounted radar and an in-vehicle camera to detect vehicles and their distance. If a driver is traveling slower than you, or within your preset range, DRCC will automatically slow your vehicle down without deactivating cruise control. If DRCC determines you need to slow down more, an audio and visual alert notifies you and brakes are applied. When there’s no longer a vehicle driving slower than your set speed in front of you, DRCC will then accelerate and regular cruise control will resume.

Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection (TSS-P 25 only)

Using an in-vehicle camera and radar to help detect a vehicle or a pedestrian in front of you, the Pre-Collision System 24 with Pedestrian Detection 26 (PCS w/PD) can help you mitigate or avoid a potential collision. If the system determines that a frontal collision is likely, it prompts you to take action using audio and visual alerts. If you notice the potential collision and apply the brakes, PCS w/PD may apply additional force using Brake Assist (BA). 23 If you don’t brake in time, it may automatically apply the brakes to reduce your speed, helping to minimize the likelihood of a frontal collision or reduce its severity

12. Mar 24, 2018 at 9:15 AM
    Philly Tundra

Philly Tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tre
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited
    Debadged chrome Color matched side mirror door handles Swap chrome grill for color match platinum honeycomb
    Thanks for sharing @borntostun this is my 2nd Tundra and has been the biggest annoyance so far across both trucks. Which is partly a compliment to how well my '08 ran for almost 10yrs. Beyond just annoyance I really want the TSS working well as I got into a really bad accident s few months ago with the previous Tundra. The TSS was a major reason I bought the Tundra over American trucks which had major interior and mpg advantages.
    Anyway I am pretty sure they will get it fixed eventually it's just how much time I'm going to have to waste on this when I spent almost $50k on this truck. When I get back to town I'm going to video my problems and bring it in.
    Hopefully we can all monitor eachothers progress.

13. Mar 24, 2018 at 9:48 AM
    shtinthenads

shtinthenads [OP] I am one with the Force and the Force is with me.

Member:
    First Name:
    Glock
    Everywhere
    Vehicle:
    2018 Magnetic Gray Metalic Lmtd TRD
    Front/Rear support bump stops,Console Vault, Interior LED, BedRug, Grill Accent lights, Dash Cam, ScanGuage
    I spoke at length to the service manager yesterday. In summary I was told that nothing is wrong with the TSS Pre Collision system in my truck. He said that the fine print clearly states it will only work in ideal situations and may not activate at all. He said there are many variables and algorithms that dictate when it activates. He said they have many Toyota vehicles come into their shop monthly (that are in accidents) that the driver reports the Pre Collision system didn’t come on, but that in most cases they can pull data to show that the system activated and applied brakes, lessening the impact. I left disappointed because I feel the system is not what the salesman represented, but I am still very happy with my truck overall.

14. Mar 24, 2018 at 10:25 AM
    Coolhardy

Coolhardy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harris
    Vehicle:
    2014 black tundra
    Too many to list
    Next test, check if the airbags deploy when they are supposed to.....

plumber802 and Black Wolf like this.
  15. Mar 24, 2018 at 12:56 PM
    shtinthenads

shtinthenads [OP] I am one with the Force and the Force is with me.

Member:
    First Name:
    Glock
    Everywhere
    Vehicle:
    2018 Magnetic Gray Metalic Lmtd TRD
    Front/Rear support bump stops,Console Vault, Interior LED, BedRug, Grill Accent lights, Dash Cam, ScanGuage
    D.B.

16. Mar 24, 2018 at 1:00 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    So if you live in climes with long cold winters??? Another useless nanny...

Coolhardy likes this.
  17. Mar 24, 2018 at 2:54 PM
    Philly Tundra

Philly Tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tre
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited
    Thanks for sharing, thats pretty disappointing. My take on that is the local dealerships have no idea and that is their standard amswer. Just like how when I asked what was in the recent recall software update the tech told me he had no idea and then told me he's print up the details for me to read.

Considering my lane detection is no longer working I won't be accepting an answer like the one you got.

Black Wolf likes this.
  18. Mar 24, 2018 at 3:35 PM
    Diverguy

Diverguy Breathes under water

Member:
    First Name:
    Leon
    PA, USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited TRD Offroad-Inferno
    Windows tinted, window visors. Bedrug, led bedlights, Nfab nerf step bars, Lund toneau cover, Evo One remote start, BAMufflers 8"
    I just got the letter for the recall today. I also got my truck in September '17 and have had no issues with the TSS....makes me wonder if I want to go in for the update or not...hmmmm

WAtundra4x4 and Black Wolf like this.
  19. Mar 24, 2018 at 4:21 PM
    wigsplitter

wigsplitter New Member

Member:
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 TSS Crew Max
    I bought mine in Oct 2017. Did the recall at 5000 mile service. Haven't had any issues since then and its been a few weeks.

20. Mar 24, 2018 at 4:25 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Do it...IMHO..

21. Mar 24, 2018 at 5:17 PM
    Diverguy

Diverguy Breathes under water

Member:
    First Name:
    Leon
    PA, USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited TRD Offroad-Inferno
    Windows tinted, window visors. Bedrug, led bedlights, Nfab nerf step bars, Lund toneau cover, Evo One remote start, BAMufflers 8"
    I had one done at my 5K mile service. This is the second "software update" recall I have received.

22. Mar 26, 2018 at 7:56 AM
    NoMoTaco

NoMoTaco New Member

Member:
    Bluffton SC
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra DC TRD OR Silver
    Getting updated as I type this post. Airbag update. Off to service desk to ask about TSS update while they change oil. TSS pops on occasionally....

23. Mar 26, 2018 at 8:13 AM
    NoMoTaco

NoMoTaco New Member

Member:
    Bluffton SC
    Vehicle:
  24. Mar 26, 2018 at 8:35 AM
    Philly Tundra

Philly Tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tre
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited
    Yes I think this is the first recall that the TSS was mentioned specifically I just got back in from a trip and read my notice as well.
    This does seem to describe what is happening with my truck as well as something is turning these systems off even though via the dash i have them turned on so fingers crossed it gets all the features back to working.
    I'm curious if you had TSS problems before this update and if they were fixed (I'm going to get mine updated regardless just curious).

25. Mar 26, 2018 at 8:51 AM
    NoMoTaco

NoMoTaco New Member

Member:
    Bluffton SC
    Vehicle:
    I’ve had sporadic issues but frequency is going up

26. Mar 27, 2018 at 11:38 AM
    Philly Tundra

Philly Tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tre
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited
    I got the same letter that nomotaco posted, I thought it was the 2nd recall notice and different from the previous letter (which said different problems and different things that were being addressed) but when I called to schedule service the dealership told me it was the same as what was done several weeks ago.
    I told them I wanted to bring it in anyway as my lane departure hasn't worked in a while and my front parking assist also isn't working. (I'm also pretty sure my pre collision isn't working as well).
    I'm pretty surprised it's not a different recall given how different the letters were (the previous letter said nothing about safety systems specifically).

NoMoTaco likes this.
  27. Mar 27, 2018 at 1:15 PM
    BamaGuyinTX

BamaGuyinTX New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Tundra SR5
    This notice is what I received. I took it to the dealer and they did the update, which took about 1.5 hrs. I haven’t had any TSS issues before or after.

28. Mar 27, 2018 at 2:09 PM
    NoMoTaco

NoMoTaco New Member

Member:
    Bluffton SC
    Vehicle:
    What I posted above was a print out from dealership while in for oil change/update

I did not receive this in mail or email from Toyota

29. Mar 27, 2018 at 2:11 PM
    BamaGuyinTX

BamaGuyinTX New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Tundra SR5
    Mine came in the mail and had my truck’s specific VIN #. I don’t think it applies to every 18, but I could be wrong on that.

NoMoTaco likes this.
  30. Mar 27, 2018 at 2:18 PM
    NoMoTaco

NoMoTaco New Member

Member:
    Bluffton SC
    Vehicle:
    It’s a software update. Just like iPhone issue or android. I’m not sweating it as Toyota has similar systems on other vehicles and they will figure it out.

Over 12,000 miles and 3-4 yellow screens popped up randomly. (10,500 towing)

Headed south next week. Another 2,000 miles round trip. (No towing)
    Will report back here if anymore random pop ups.

Products Discussed in

To Top