1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Powered subwoofer in 2020 with JBL????

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by gregm76, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Jul 11, 2020 at 2:07 PM
    gregm76

gregm76 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra TRD Pro
    I've been researching a lot of the post on upgrading the JBL in system in the tundras. Like many on here i was extremely disappointed with the JBL system. I had Bose in my silverado and the JBL in the tundras is no comparison. I never once thought about upgrading it in the silverado.

With that being said has anyone installed a powered sub woofer? I recently installed the below in my sons single cab Sierra. I was honestly surprised at the amount of bass it added to his system. We did upgrade the pillar and door speakers and also added some 1" tweeters.

https://www.amazon.com/Rockville-RG212CA-Powered-Subwoofer-Enclosure/dp/B0886BKRSN?ref_=ast_sto_dp

My question is how would i go about installing this? Just remove the JBL and splice into the factory wires for the audio input to the amp that is built into the box? Or would something else be needed.

2. Jul 11, 2020 at 2:21 PM
    Danimal86

Danimal86 Looks clean even when its dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra SR5
    Best thing to do would be a Rockford fosgate dsr1, a 5 channel amp, and a ported box with a couple 10's.
    you'll eventually want to ditch the jbl door speakers, but you can just use them till they blow.

james at tech12volt can set you up. great guy and has great customer service. tech12volt@gmail.com

3. Jul 16, 2020 at 9:02 AM
    gregm76

gregm76 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra TRD Pro
    So no one has done something such as this?

4. Jul 16, 2020 at 12:50 PM
    robabeatle

robabeatle New Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra 4x4 LTD AC
    Bilstein 6112 & 5160, Katskinz, audio upgrades
    Looks like it has speaker level inputs so yes you tap into the speaker wires on the back of the HU. You could go as cheap as a t-connect. (I not a huge fan of this solution but it will work.) Then run speaker wires back to the amp for both channels. It looks like there will be a harness with the sub's amp that you will connect the output from the HU. Use twist and crimp, electrical tape, solder, etc. whatever to connect. The sub does not have outputs so you will not be running speaker wire from the sub back to the speakers. It just has a low pass crossover built in.
    Then you need to run 12V power cable, ground cable, and a remote turn on. The remote turn on can be an acc power from a fuse box. I imagine that the stock head unit has something you can tap into as well: it is likely just an acc 12V tap. Running the cables will be the biggest issue imho but no biggie. I'd pull out the seats and that can give you easier access to to under the carpet. Maybe use a fishing wire if you dont want to pull up the carpet.

When I started my stereo upgrade about a month ago, I thought I'd be satisfied with an 8 inch powered kenwood under the passengers seat. It certainly filled in the missing bass nicely but it was not super clean and some songs still had no lower end. Well, fast forward and amongst other things I went with a 5 channel amp that is pushing 500 W rms to two Alpine 8 inch subs under the rear passenger compartment. Wow, what a difference. Even on some rock songs, you can feel the drum kicks in your chest. I'm not even talking about super deep bass.

Good luck!

gregm76[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  5. Jul 23, 2020 at 10:20 AM
    GingerBeardMan

GingerBeardMan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red Tundra Platinum
    I just recently upgraded from a 19 Tacoma that had the JBL System in it to the Tundra with the JBL. The Tacoma sounded SO much better. I am definitely disappointed in the quality as well.

Products Discussed in

To Top