1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Power steering unit fix ETA?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by BennyArmstrong, Dec 27, 2021.

1. Dec 27, 2021 at 9:41 AM
    BennyArmstrong

BennyArmstrong [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Benny
    Olive Branch, Ms.
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra Limited TRD OFF Road
    2021 Tundra Limited TRD Off Road - Cement Crewmax TRD Front and Rear Sway Bar TRD Skid Plate OEM Sprayed on Bed Liner Tow Mirrors UnderCover Elite Tonneau Cover
    Any one know when Toyota will have a fix for the power steering units? I made a trip to Florida pulling my RV and my 2021 Toyota Tundra Limited with 4500 miles on it. The power steering unit went out, Truck is still in Fort Walton Beach waiting to be towed home and repaired. I was told may be sometime in February before Toyota came up with a repair.

2. Dec 27, 2021 at 9:47 AM
    Retired...finally

Retired...finally Utilizing that doctorate of procrastinatory arts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 Barcelona Red SR5 Crewmax
    Custom bug spat pattern hood, grill & bumper. Dead Live Oak leaf collection under hood, cowl and lower fenders. Beach sand custom floor covering.
    Well now this really sucks. I'm in a similar situation except 6,100 miles and no failure yet. From Ohio overwintering on the Gulf in Alabama. I'm under the impression Toyota will start to notify owners on Jan 22nd 2022 of the recall. I was also thinking they would pay to have the disabled vehicle towed to the nearest dealer to the point where the truck is after it blew the rack.

2mchfun likes this.
  3. Dec 27, 2021 at 9:51 AM
    BennyArmstrong

Member:
    First Name:
    Benny
    Olive Branch, Ms.
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra Limited TRD Off Road - Cement Crewmax TRD Front and Rear Sway Bar TRD Skid Plate OEM Sprayed on Bed Liner Tow Mirrors UnderCover Elite Tonneau Cover
    Toyota towed my Tundra to nearest dealer which was Fort Walton Beach. Since it was going to be such a long time, I was told sometime in February, I requested for Toyota to tow to my home in North Mississippi. I finally got in contact with a Lady that is trying to get my truck home, haven't yet but looking promising.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
  4. Dec 27, 2021 at 10:25 AM
    Bakershack

Bakershack Critical of Noncritical Thinkers

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Spanish Fort, AL
    Vehicle:
    2020 SSM 1794 4x4
    There are also several folks waiting to take delivery because the dealers can't sell the trucks until it is fixed. I hope they prioritize the trucks people already own, ESPECIALLY if it broke down on the road away from home!

2mchfun likes this.
  5. Dec 27, 2021 at 10:41 AM
    Retired...finally

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    Custom bug spat pattern hood, grill & bumper. Dead Live Oak leaf collection under hood, cowl and lower fenders. Beach sand custom floor covering.
    That's my concern. March 31st I'm headed north. Would prefer in MY truck pulling MY trailer.

2mchfun and Bakershack[QUOTED] like this.
  6. Dec 27, 2021 at 11:16 AM
    BennyArmstrong

Member:
    First Name:
    Benny
    Olive Branch, Ms.
    Vehicle:
    Yes sir I woud have liked to pull my trailer home with my Tundra also. Had to rent a truck, Dodge Ram 2500, it rode like a log wagon and the Equlizer hitch was set up for my Tundra. The trailer puled down the road with front high and catching ever little gust of wind. The 480 mile trip fet like 680 miles, trailer felt like it was running all over the road.

7. Dec 27, 2021 at 11:32 AM
    Bergy24

Bergy24 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Crewmax Limited TRD 4X4
    Recall or not the truck is well within the 3 years/36000 warranty. Other people who have had this issue has had the rack replaced. I would hope they would not wait 2 months to start a repair which will replace the rack anyways. I would follow up with Toyota and have them replace the rack ASAP.
    If they cant fix it for some reason, They should give you a loaner (probably wont be Tundra Though) , especially considering you will need to continue to make payments on truck you cant use due to a defect from factory.

8. Dec 27, 2021 at 12:03 PM
    BennyArmstrong

Member:
    First Name:
    Benny
    Olive Branch, Ms.
    Vehicle:
    Numerous calls made to Toyota Brand Engagement Center, they told me it would have to be handled by local dealership in Fort Walton Beach. Finally a Lady called me said she was trying to get authorization to tow my truck home to North Mississippi. She got me reimbursed for the truck I had to rent to get my rv trailer home and a rental truck to drive till my truck is repaired.

9. Dec 27, 2021 at 12:14 PM
    Retired...finally

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    BTW, speaking for all of us here, it's good to have you onboard with us. It's unfortunate you had this situation as your first posts. Good to know you at least didn't get stranded away from home.
    I really wish there was a non invasive way to tell if our racks were in the 25% group. Until I know if she's gonna blow our truck is being treated very gently. Unfortunately these parts probably don't have any identifying marks that can be traced to which of the four machines that machined the circlip groove. Unlike parts for aircraft.
    In my pea brained head there's a few ways this can go. 1, Toyota finds a way to inspect the rack to give them a good idea if it will fail within the warranty period. Such as pulling the tierod boots back and using a borescope. 2, pressure test the rack to an amount equaling max design pressure and replacing those that fail or 3, change them all. Obviously the last option is what corporate dreads the most. Me, I'd rather it be option 1.

9DivDoc likes this.
  10. Dec 27, 2021 at 12:53 PM
    JLS in WA

JLS in WA New Member

Member:
    Somewhere in the basalt rocks with my dogs
    Vehicle:
    2008 White DC Limited 4x4
    Drahthaar Transport Unit
    Man that must be frustrating. Good luck with the process!

11. Dec 27, 2021 at 1:01 PM
    9DivDoc

9DivDoc New Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD PRO CM MGM 2021 SKM CM Limited
    Got a Sept TRD Pro on the recall notice...and not a word from a dealer we bought two Tundras from over the past year.
    Got 1500 miles on the Pro and just get it out now once a week for a warm up run for a few miles and then back in its heated stall waiting for Toyota to get off it's butt and take care of this.
    Don't want to be stranded far from home neither want my 100 lb wife trying to muscle the vehicle around or break down especially in the snow and cold.

12. Dec 27, 2021 at 1:17 PM
    BennyArmstrong

Member:
    First Name:
    Benny
    Olive Branch, Ms.
    Vehicle:
    Not sure why Toyota don't just replace the rack in my truck, Say they working on a solution

9DivDoc likes this.
  13. Dec 27, 2021 at 1:27 PM
    9DivDoc

9DivDoc New Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    If I remember correctly it's something in the neighborhood of 25,000 tundras and a few thousand Sequoias...many are sitting at the factory and many on dealers lots not-to-be-sold.
    Those get fixed first and those of us who paid for ours are sucking hind tit so to speak...frustrating to say the least.
    Eventually we'll get taken care of but we are gonna suffer more or less in the meantime.
    Obviously to be stuck far from home with only one vehicle really sucks and Toyota should be on this taking care of those customers before anyone else...
    So far their reaction to this is disappointing and on a par with American company's in my 50 yrs of vehicle buying...reality bites...
    But hang in there...I'm sure eventually they will make it right by us...

14. Dec 27, 2021 at 1:35 PM
    2mchfun

2mchfun Yeah it'll pull it, just don't expect to stop!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 White 4x4 CM Trail Ed. 2018 White 4x4 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Seat covers, dash mat, ext. Trans. Cooler, sumo springs, oem pwr fld tow mirrors
    They are like everyone else, shortages of parts and labor. Supply lines are still very much screwed and it looks like we might be having some rough months ahead. Everything involves everything else, like spokes on a wheel, take only one out and the whole wheel is compromised. Hang in there and do your best!

9DivDoc and JLS in WA like this.
  15. Dec 27, 2021 at 1:58 PM
    9DivDoc

9DivDoc New Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    I'm wondering if our power steering racks share a commonality with the current production?

Retired...finally likes this.
  16. Dec 27, 2021 at 2:15 PM
    2mchfun

2mchfun Yeah it'll pull it, just don't expect to stop!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 White 4x4 CM Trail Ed. 2018 White 4x4 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Seat covers, dash mat, ext. Trans. Cooler, sumo springs, oem pwr fld tow mirrors
    One thing is certain, there is a limited number of machines and operators to produce anything, regardless of what it is. That doesn't even begin to describe though, you need raw material, seals, tooling for said machines, truck drivers, forklift maint., etc. Like I said, every single person sort of relies on everyone else. The good old double edged sword comes to mind, can't rely on others, can't live without em either! Fun times!

9DivDoc[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Dec 27, 2021 at 8:12 PM
    9DivDoc

9DivDoc New Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Yep and then add the supply chain woes...and the wait times associated with it.
    You got the current vehicles needing the same parts to get to market as we now do to get ours back to running like we paid for them to be...from our point of view we don't want to be sucking hind teet...but it is what it is...really not too worried about it...frustrated sure...who isn't right?...
    Probably keep our limited and sell off the Pro and get another 4Runner though...:)

18. Feb 25, 2022 at 12:11 PM
    BennyArmstrong

Member:
    First Name:
    Benny
    Olive Branch, Ms.
    Vehicle:
    Still waiting on Toyota to repair my 2021 Tundra Limited, been almost 3 month since it broke down, still waiting on some hose to fix the steering

19. Feb 25, 2022 at 12:46 PM
    Bergy24

Bergy24 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    That’s crazy. Do you have a loaner? Toyota should be making your payments since you can’t drive it due to their mistake

20. Feb 25, 2022 at 12:59 PM
    BennyArmstrong

Member:
    First Name:
    Benny
    Olive Branch, Ms.
    Vehicle:
    Don't have a note and yes they finally gave me a loaner after about three weeks and towed my truck back to north Mississippi. Looks like we have the same truck these are the description for my truck also. Only difference I put some tow mirrors and a cement fiberglass bed cover on mine
    2021 Tundra Limited TRD Off Road - Cement -
    TRD Front and Rear Sway Bar
    TRD Skid Plate
    OEM Bed Mat

Bergy24 likes this.
  21. Feb 25, 2022 at 1:04 PM
    Bergy24

Bergy24 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Do they have any idea when the hoses will be in stock? Nice looking truck.

22. Feb 25, 2022 at 1:13 PM
    BennyArmstrong

Member:
    First Name:
    Benny
    Olive Branch, Ms.
    Vehicle:
    No I checked this past Wednesday and parts department said no eta on hose, thanks I like my truck.

Products Discussed in

To Top