1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Post Lift Re-Torquing of U-Bolts Question

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by dumbassdave, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Mar 31, 2017 at 10:47 AM
    dumbassdave

dumbassdave [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax Limited
    My lift has been on for 6 months and I've heard of U-bolts stretching a bit and needing to get retorqued, so I here we go.....

They looked pretty seized on there already, so I thought I would back them off and then retorque. Problem is, that after backing them off and then hitting them with the torque wrench they are already at 74 ft/lb. They were certainly not overtorqued originally as I'm pretty fussy about stuff like that.

I've also heard that torque values are "moving torques" meaning that even though I checked all the other ones and they were all at 74 ft/lb, that could just be due to them being seized on?

I thought about giving them a WD-40 hose down, but wouldn't lube affect the torque too?

Thing is, everyone here gets used to how their truck feels on the road, and maybe I have gotten used to a truck that has U-bolts that need a little snugging up. I dunno.

Any thoughts or suggestions out there?

2. Mar 31, 2017 at 4:21 PM
    jberry813

jberry813 The Mad Scientist Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum, 2012 Tacoma, 2007 T4R
    Metric shit ton of parts
    Shit on the road will corrode the nuts to the bolts. Honestly 6 months is too long to wait for a re-torque, especially in winter.

Do not lube the threads, torque wrench will be way off. It's just u-bolts, so just set your wrench to 85 and crank them back down.

3. Apr 3, 2017 at 2:41 PM
    dumbassdave

dumbassdave [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax Limited
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a shot next time my driveway is dry. Maybe they didn't need tightening at all anyways? After lifting my Tacoma I checked the U-Bolts every two weeks for a couple of month and none of them were loosened at all.

jberry813 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top