1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Popping noise after turning on incline

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by RussellVaughan, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Apr 13, 2017 at 12:42 PM
    Bird42

Bird42 New Member

Member:
    Utah
    Pro Comp Wheels, Pro Comp 2.5" level kit, Nitto Grappler G2 Tires.
    Okay. I finally solved my popping sound. The sound was a metallic plung sound and reverberated through the coil. I suspected coils but it turned out to be that the upper control arm bolt was bent and the nut was loose.

I recommend just going through and tightening any nuts and bolts that have to do with steering or suspension before you replace parts. i spent about $500+ on parts before i found that a $10 bolt needed to be replaced and tightened.

2. Apr 13, 2017 at 12:46 PM
    RussellVaughan

RussellVaughan [OP] New Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2015 Gray TSS 5.7 CM SR5 4x4
    AMP Research PowerSteps; Katzkin leather seats (Nightrunner, all black, no perf/logo); TRD 18" BBS Forged rims; Nitto Terra Grappler G2 LT295/70R18) tires; LT295/70R18 spare tire; Rough Country speedo calibrator; Fox 2.0 IFP front & rear w/1" leaf blocks; TRD PRO black headlamps w/Headlight Revolution harness; TRD PRO grill w/color match hood bulge; RCI engine skid plate; BakFlip MX4 tonneau; Baja Design Squadron Sport fog lights w/clear wide lens; front/rear color match bumper covers; K&N CAI; Pedal Commander throttle controller w-trailer brake bezel; SE Toyota wireless charger tray; VLEDS interior and exterior LED lights; AJT Designs interior chrome delete; Sparks Parts driver side grab handle kit; Pop&Lock tailgate lock; ICS Fab dash mount w/support plate; ICS Fab center console mount; SNS Custom Design ABS sensor guards; TRD PRO shift knob; Undercover Swingcase bed storage; Rad Rubber Design engine splash guards; Bull Ring bed rail tie-downs; exterior debadge w/black & engine badge and black 4x4 badge; Charvonia Design billet bed tie-down anchors; rear console USB port; TRD rear sway bar; Fumoto Oil Pan Valve; Toyota metal oil filter assembly; Vexing R1 dash cam; X2Power 24F Battery.
    Awesome, congrats on finding the fix! Could you take a pic of the bolt?

3. Apr 13, 2017 at 12:48 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    Good work.

4. Apr 13, 2017 at 12:55 PM
    Bird42

Bird42 New Member

Member:
    Utah
    This was the bolt causing the sound in my case. The nut on the far right was loose enough for me to twist off by hand.

Screenshot_2017-04-13-13-53-32.jpg

5. Apr 13, 2017 at 12:58 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    I do have a knocking or popping noise on mine as well right now. I have debated adding a separate thread about this. It is when going over bumps on the road. The more small bumps on the road the more noise. I am almost positive it is the lower control arm ball joint. Items it could be is UCA uniball, lower control arm ball joint, coilover lower bushing or same issue as @Bird42 with UCA bolt. Things wear out. Will look into it on Saturday.

zachzap361 likes this.
  6. Apr 13, 2017 at 1:03 PM
    Bird42

Bird42 New Member

Member:
    Utah

My noise was mostly a slow speed noise. It only happened while turning mostly in parking lot type situations, coming to the first stop after going and going through gutters at slow speeds . almost like it was settling. It didn't make any noise driving straight and taking corners or going over bumps.

7. Apr 13, 2017 at 7:29 PM
    TRD Pro Rookie

TRD Pro Rookie New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    D/FW
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Pro
    Nothing major
    My 2016 pops as well. 19,000 miles. Never aligned.

8. Apr 13, 2017 at 8:24 PM
    Ryan Mc.

Ryan Mc. New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Mission Viejo
    Vehicle:
    2015 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 5.7L
    Hand made bed divider, bed d-rings
    I have this same issue! Literally thought I was the only person with this. Low speeds turning slightly going thru dips or gutters in the road makes this popping sound.

When I had my Taco I had a very similar deep sounding popping noise. It turned out that the sway bar mounting bolts were loose. I could literally move the sway bar by hand. Once tightened up tight to the frame/bushings the noise was gone.

Bird42 likes this.
  9. Apr 19, 2017 at 6:15 AM
    white offroad

white offroad New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    North Carolina
    Man this very well could be my issue! I had my 3" put on last Friday and when I turn hard left (into my driveway or just doing a circle in a parking lot) it absolutely sounds like its crunch, crunch, more of a metal sound. So I get out this morning look to see what my tires are rubbing...nothing. But I am getting my new tires installed tomorrow and I have not had an alignment done yet because well I didn't want to pay for 2 alignments. I will have them check this and report back to what they find. I actually drove my wife's suv to work today because I was afraid it might do more damage.

Bird42[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. May 9, 2017 at 9:32 PM
    BadAss182MK

BadAss182MK Semper Fi

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TRD Pro - Cement - Crewmax
    I have a 2017 TRD Pro. I haven't even passed 500 miles and I notice at very slow turns to both left and right I have a popping noise. I also have the same popping noise when I go over a sudden dip but not over bumps.

InfernoPro15 likes this.
  11. May 12, 2017 at 8:02 PM
    BadAss182MK

BadAss182MK Semper Fi

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TRD Pro - Cement - Crewmax
    Well I took it into the dealer today to get it checked out. We drove it around and I couldn't replicate the noise for them...f**k! So they put it on the rack and everything was torqued down to factory spec and the alignment check was good. We got it all documented too.

So what do I do boys?!? I can't help but feel a little disappointed after waiting so long for my TRD Pro and it having this issue.

12. Jun 14, 2017 at 10:17 AM
    cd121082

cd121082 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Tundra TRD OffRoad
    none yet

did it make the noise again?

13. Mar 26, 2018 at 10:25 PM
    shtpump

shtpump New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 1794 4x4 FFV
    2017 noticed the issue day 1 (currently 15K miles) same popping, creaking, 1/4" aluminum rubbing against threads issue, low speed, repeatable when entering driveways...its definitely the skid plate. Dealer identified the issue immediately, re-torqued the hardware and it went away for a few days.

Currently am using my TRD skid plate as a backstop for my "kids" pellet gun.

Toyota then replaced the fasteners as a courtesy one time, then told me i was on my own. After 5 trips to the dealership, they finally removed it for me and the sound is completely gone. The front suspension was changed when the truck was under 5K miles to "level the truck" (bilstein 5100, set to perch 2).

Toyota's position, ANY modifications to the truck in the area of the issue will not be covered under warranty! Had the case sent to Toyota corporate and they are completely unwilling to review the issue any further or provide any further assistance, due to the "modifications"

If you can spec or suggest the rubber bushings, ill give that a try.

Thank you!

4de5f7da3e1539e64e6f9a472deb3999x.jpg IMG_0918.jpg

mtntop likes this.
  14. Mar 26, 2018 at 10:37 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    You’ll shoot your eye out kid.

Brendan1026 and TheBeast like this.
  15. Oct 1, 2018 at 7:32 PM
    Sas

Sas Humor is everywhere

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    OKC, OK
    Vehicle:
    '17 SR5 CM TSS 4WD MGM 5.7 FF
    Lost track after #1.
    I'm actually having this problem now after installing my suspension. It sounds like it's coming from the rear, but it's really hard to tell. Same situation, only happens when I turn on grades. Doesn't happen on flat surfaces. The hash marks on the forward LCA bolts are facing up and the ones on the rear LCA bolts are facing down. All four are seated flush though. Not getting any play in anything.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  16. Oct 2, 2018 at 5:15 AM
    Sas

Sas Humor is everywhere

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    OKC, OK
    Vehicle:
    '17 SR5 CM TSS 4WD MGM 5.7 FF
    Lost track after #1.
    Can anyone verify these por favor?

17. Oct 2, 2018 at 5:25 AM
    Berettafan

Berettafan New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 CM
    just put any kind of rubber type material at the rear of the plate where it contacts the big crossmember. I used sticky backed felt chair leg thingys. several posts on this forum show where but the short version is the spacers go where you see rubbing at the rear. took several thousand miles for my pro skid plate to start creaking but once it did I pulled it to put the spacers in and the noise was gone.

18. Sep 8, 2021 at 8:36 AM
    zachzap361

zachzap361 MEAN GREEN MACHINE

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Green Tundra CrewMax
    Toytec Aluma 2.5 Coilovers and Toytec rear shocks, Method NV 17", Nitto Ridge Grappler 35", RCI Skid Plate, Dirtydeeds Dual Dumped Exhaust, Volant Cold Air Intake and Throttle Body Spacer, SDHQ Ditch Mount Brackets, Rigid Blackout Spot Lights, Stampede Fender Flares, N-Fab Nerf Bars, Morimoto Fog Lights, 55 watt HID's, AJT Design Climate Knobs, Ellis Precision Shift Knob, Coverking Seat Covers, Husky Floor Liner's,Demello Off-road Bumper, Rigid and Baja Designs Lights, Jomax ABS Sensor covers
    Did you ever find out what the popping noise was? I have had this same issue for almost a few months now, and it stopped after I had a tire rotation and didnt happen for a almost a whole week.....Then I had new shackles @Coachbuilder1 and his tie rods installed and didnt hear it for a while but now its back and faint for the most part but is happening when backing out of a driveway with the wheel turned or for instance today when I just turned the wheel on a paved road at around 10 mph

19. Nov 16, 2021 at 9:27 PM
    Tundra2014LTD

Tundra2014LTD New Member

Member:
    I’ve been having the same clunking noise for about 3 months. It kept getting more frequent until I narrowed it down to being able to replicate it with my son turning the steering wheel left while parked. Wiggled everything while the steering wheel was turning and literally felt the clunk in my hand on the tie rod end.

It was the driver tie rod end nut but not being fully tightened. I could hand turn it even though it looked fully tightened. And coincidentally I had an alignment done about 3 months ago, so it’s been loose for those three months.

Quick fix for me.

This was on a 2014 Limited 4x4 with 80k miles.

Dannydirtyfingers likes this.
  20. May 17, 2022 at 6:56 PM
    Dannydirtyfingers

Dannydirtyfingers New Member

Member:
    Texas RR
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tundra AC SR5 2wd
    5100 Bilsteins 4th notch, JBA uppers
    Researching all the threads I can find on this. Started to happen on my 2004 just recently. Driver side sound like a pop/tension at low speeds.
    I have recently replaced (within the year) shocks front and rear, swaybar endlinks, center drive shaft bearing and u-joints, lower ball joints and uca's, alignment .
    I'll be checking some other things I didn't think of till I read this thread. I'll update once I get the time to, which should be soon. Noise is driving me nuts.

21. May 24, 2022 at 9:09 AM
    Dannydirtyfingers

Dannydirtyfingers New Member

Member:
    Texas RR
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tundra AC SR5 2wd
    5100 Bilsteins 4th notch, JBA uppers
    Figured out the noise it was the UCA bolt , somehow got loose. Tightened it up and it is a lot better. but now squeaking..i think its the shock mount rubber

22. Oct 18, 2023 at 8:27 PM
    JRP

JRP New Member

Member:
    Any updates? Currently experiencing it with my truck after putting 35s and every time I make full turn it makes a loud single clunk.

Products Discussed in

To Top